• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The batsman of the 90s and 00s

Choose TWO batsmen of your choice as the best of 90s and 00s

• Total voters

bagapath

International Captain
Now that all the big guns have gone quiet it is a good time to have a less emotional and more honest conversation on the greatest test batsmen of the 90s and 00s and choose the best of them.

I propose the names of the following, in order of their debuts:

Steve Waugh
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Sanath Jayasuriya
Mark Waugh
Inzamam Ul Haq
Matthew Hayden
Ricky Ponting
Jacques Kallis
Rahul Dravid

Chanders is still in the game. So ignoring him for now.

Too much has been written on Tendulkar. And on how he compares with Ponting and Kallis and Lara. But is history going to treat him that kindly? Or will better sense prevail and the era would be remembered as Brian Lara's?

Some of these individual arguments have taken place in separate threads before. But we have never discussed this with the benefit of hindsight. We can now see clearly which batsman had the maximum impact in the 20 years between Jan 1, 1990 and Dec 31, 2009. We can give the 10s and 20s to Hobbs and the 30s and 40s to Bradman. The 50s to Weekes and the 60s to Sobers. And the 70s and 80s to Viv Richards. Who gets to be the king of the 90s and 00s? Who will history consider the biggest champ off all?

Please vote for TWO choices in the poll.

Last edited:

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
If you are asking for the best in each decade then 90s SRT and 00's Ponting. That's what I voted.

If you are asking for the two best in 90s+00s then SRT and Lara.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Sachin and BCL, but I also rate Ponting really highly and he is just behind those two.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Lara. Still the greatest batsman I've watched.

I'm chucking a vote Dravid's way; yeah over the course of their careers Tendulkar was better but Rahul needs recognising, particularly as he was comfortably India's batsman of the 00s. Tendulkar will rightfully romp the poll but someone needs to chuck a vote Dravid's way and recognise what an absolutely great batsman he was. He's under-appreciated in so many ways, he was a fabulously elegant player when he actually elected to play his shots.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar and Ponting and feel sick for leaving out Lara.

Thing is if you were picking a guy to bat for your life from that era it would be Steve Waugh.

Burgey

Tendulkar and Lara, Ponting third. If it was just the 2000s I'd say Ponting, with a purely 90s choice more difficult between the other two.

Lara at his best operated at a peak I don't think anyone has approached since Richards, in terms of the way he played. He'd just treat good balls with complete contempt.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Tendulkar and Lara, Ponting third. If it was just the 2000s I'd say Ponting, with a purely 90s choice more difficult between the other two.

Lara at his best operated at a peak I don't think anyone has approached since Richards, in terms of the way he played. He'd just treat good balls with complete contempt.
Perfectly said.

OverratedSanity

Tendulkar for the 90s and Ponting for his unparalleled 2000s foam. Lara's strocks were sonething else though.

akilana

International 12th Man
S Waugh in the 90s and Ponting/Kallis in the 00s.

S Waugh was immense against the better bowling line up of the 90s, especially SA and WI. Sachin's average of 60 in the 90s flattered him a bit.

Jassy

Banned
Tendulkar and Ponting - the best bats of the 1990s and 2000s respectively. Agree with Burgey with his point about Lara in full cry, but taking everything into account I'd have to put Tendulkar and Ponting higher.

bagapath

International Captain
lara was fantastic in the 00s and, despite a slump in the late 90s, in the earlier decade as well. he is an easy choice for me.

the question is, was sachin's amazing 90s better than waugh's 90s and better than ponting's 00s?

after a lot of soul searching i have to utter a reluctant Yes. and go for lara and sachin. looks too obvious in the end. but it probably is the truth as well.

OverratedSanity

Waugh is so underrated. Better than everyone in this period apart from Sachin, Lara and Ponting . In terms of playing top class bowling hhe's the best of the bunch. Just 1 vote for him makes me sad.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Waugh is so underrated. Better than everyone in this period apart from Sachin, Lara and Ponting . In terms of playing top class bowling hhe's the best of the bunch. Just 1 vote for him makes me sad.
Judging by your own post, it just makes it accurate?