• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The batsman of the 90s and 00s

Choose TWO batsmen of your choice as the best of 90s and 00s

• Total voters

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That Steve Waugh hundred is maybe the most perfect piece of cricketing theatre ever. If you scripted it, they'd send it back with a note telling you to make things realistic.

And, dem fast hands.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Waugh's perfect day isn't quite my first cricketing memory, but it's still my best one of international cricket.

He was (and still is) an absolute hero of mine for that innings (and everything else he did). I remember getting a day off school to go to his book signing later in 2003, and I started fangirling a couple of years back when I walked past him in the local shopping centre.

EDIT:
Also saw Glenn McGrath in a carpark at Bunnings once, when he was out with a back injury in the early 2000s. Ran to hide behind a car because famous people were scary.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Waugh's perfect day isn't quite my first cricketing memory, but it's still my best one of international cricket.

He was (and still is) an absolute hero of mine for that innings (and everything else he did). I remember getting a day off school to go to his book signing later in 2003, and I started fangirling a couple of years back when I walked past him in the local shopping centre.

EDIT:
Also saw Glenn McGrath in a carpark at Bunnings once, when he was out with a back injury in the early 2000s. Ran to hide behind a car because famous people were scary.
It's interesting how we have different reactions to famous people. In the late 90s my then wife was driving us back to the hotel at Coolum after I'd had a boozy lunch when we were away for a Bar cricket weekend against Qld. As we drove into the Hyatt, she said "There's AB!" and sure enough, the great man was there with his son, loading their golf clubs into the back of his car, so I rolled down my window, leaned half way out of the car and screamed "Hey Al! Al!" He looked up and began to wave, thinking one of his mates was yelling at him in such a familiar way.

Then he saw me, closed the boot of his car, got in and drove off.

Still a great moment though. To think Allan Border got to meet Burgey.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It's interesting how we have different reactions to famous people. In the late 90s my then wife was driving us back to the hotel at Coolum after I'd had a boozy lunch when we were away for a Bar cricket weekend against Qld. As we drove into the Hyatt, she said "There's AB!" and sure enough, the great man was there with his son, loading their golf clubs into the back of his car, so I rolled down my window, leaned half way out of the car and screamed "Hey Al! Al!" He looked up and began to wave, thinking one of his mates was yelling at him in such a familiar way.
The one true AB