• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The batsman of the 90s and 00s

Choose TWO batsmen of your choice as the best of 90s and 00s

• Total voters

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, this is a lot more straightforward than the bowling thread. Tendulkar and Lara, with Ponting a little way back in third on the grounds that he only really came into his own in the 00's.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I really liked Ponting from the outset batting at 6, and then his '00s was incredible. I think because I didn't see the India tours I never saw his downside.
Lara's my other as he's the best I've ever seen.
I also rate Dravid so close to SRT and Kallis just behind them, I can't really decide there.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Judging by your own post, it just makes it accurate?
I said he's better than everyone except those three. Never said I consider him definitively worse than Lara-Ponting-Sachin did I? :p
Waugh imo is a bit overlooked probably because he was in between the 80s generation and the 90s generation. Such a great batsman... Few have played as many top class innings against great bowling attacks as him.

Just thought there'd be a few votes thrown his way when Kallis and Dravid have several votes too.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was watching some Steve Waugh today, and this incredible highlights package from his Sydney hundred of 2003 came through :)

It all looks so quintessentially classic now. From another generation, almost. Love the scorecard and the minimalism. It was better than the stat-fest we have now.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Was watching some Steve Waugh today, and this incredible highlights package from his Sydney hundred of 2003 came through :)

It all looks so quintessentially classic now. From another generation, almost. Love the scorecard and the minimalism. It was better than the stat-fest we have now.
Yeah a great day for Tugga, but just another amazing job from Gilly too. I often talk him down cos I'm not a fan of his keeping. But bloody hell the guy could turn a game when he batted. Probably deserves a mention with regards the influential batting of the '00s

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Just thought there'd be a few votes thrown his way when Kallis and Dravid have several votes too.
Well if anyone is voting any of those 3 when they actually think they aren't the best 2 batsmen of the period they are just trying to even out/skew the voting because they think a player is underrated. If you think Waugh or Dravid is underrated by the general cricket public, but nevertheless is not as good as Ponting or Tendulkar or Lara in this period, voting him doesn't make a statement of any kinds. I am looking at you Furball :ph34r:

This desire to even out the cricketing opinion world is silly. I think Steve Waugh, Martin Crowe and Allan Border are generally underrated by people nowadays when assessing the best bats of the last 20-30 years but I wouldn't vote them in a poll saying they are the best when I think there are some better.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kallis getting more votes than Dravid is an absolute joke by the way.
Nah, you exaggerate too much when you try and make points like this. Its not an unreasonable opinion, even if you think its wrong.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well if anyone is voting any of those 3 when they actually think they aren't the best 2 batsmen of the period they are just trying to even out/skew the voting because they think a player is underrated. If you think Waugh or Dravid is underrated by the general cricket public, but nevertheless is not as good as Ponting or Tendulkar or Lara in this period, voting him doesn't make a statement of any kinds. I am looking at you Furball :ph34r:

Even I didnt vote for Waugh. I'm just saying that when some people havve thrown sympathy votes to Dravid and Kallis,you'd have expected a few for Waugh. It's working btw, Waugh now has 3 votes.