• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wasim Akram and Glenn Mcgrath: An analytical comparison

uvelocity

International Coach
But if he is himself a skilled fast bowler, he will easily understand how good he is.
conversely, should he be a skilled batsman he may dispatch a fast bowler with circumspect strockmaking in good time

should the fast bowler have more patience perhaps he will prevail. what is your solution to this quandry dawood ahmad?

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
Hey Dawood,

Great to have you back again. Been ages since you posted. What have you been up to?
I had to take 9th class(grade 9, year 9 in Pakistan) exams where students have to put there efforts in studying which reduced my timefor cricketweb.

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
Both legends have been compared in statistical way because of belief of people in "stats don't lie." which is certainly wrong because the answer to all these question is the same.
1. Do stats make a difference between runs conceded by balls edged of bat and runs gotten by shots hit with perfection out the middle of the bat?
2. Do stats show that how much the team relied on a player?
3. Do stats make it obvious weather the player was out of practice or in the foam of his life?

Hence here is an analytical comparison.

How Mcgrath wins?
1. Mcgrath bowled most of his overs in power-play while Wasim did so in non-field restricted overs.
2. Mcgrath sent openers and top order batsmen back to pavilion while most of Wasim's brilliance was showed against tail enders.
3. Mcgrath has gotten more dismissals against the top great batsmen of his era while wasim didn't do that in such an abundance.
4. Mcgrath had pinpoint accuracy in seam and showed perfect variations in swing bowling whereas Wasim swung the ball more, and variated less, was less accurate.
5. Mcgrath was a wicket taker vs the top 8 teams whereas the Wasim took them more against Ireland, Namibia etc.

How Wasim wins?
1. Mcgrath played more for the stronger team which means he couldn't bowl for that team while Wasim bowled against the strongest teams of his era.
2. Mcgrath had better fieldsmen which was his advantage, poorness on field was not Wasim's disadvantage because he was more a bowler who took wickets by hitting stumps, not taking catches.

Here is the comparison, its up to you to chose the best but I will go easily with Mcgrath.

My Next Threads:
My next threads are likely to be:
A big detailed explanation on Gilchrist as one of the top five cricketers.
Glenn Maxwell and David Miller, choosing the best.
A debate on my One day XI
Answer to those who said it was keith miller

Tooj

Cricket Spectator
McGrath is the best bowler of all time. You should pick someone else to compare Wasim to.
That's quite a bold statement. I've recently turned 30 and wouldn't even say he's the best fast bowler I've seen. I'd put that down to Ambrose, he had the levels of accuracy like McGrath did but he also had that extra pace to give him the edge.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No one has a clear cut case for being the greatest bowler ever. There exists not a Bradman of bowling.

Son Of Coco

I'm looking forward to the upcoming programs Dahwood announced in his first post in this thread. Can we get this bloke his own channel streaming 3 hours a day? I'd suggest 'Dahwood Ahmad Swings Both Ways'. As a condition of viewing you need to identify yourself as a batsmen of bowler. Bowlers will be granted access to the full show, while batsmen will be shown a test pattern.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Mitchell Starc is averaging 10 at this CWC. That's probably as close to a bowling Bradman as we're likely to ever get.

Son Of Coco

I think we'll have the bowling equivalent of Bradman when a bowler finishes his career with an average of 0.06.