• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was Inzamam's 60 (37) the greatest ever under-pressure World Cup knock?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Inzamam's was probably the most brutal. It was at a time when the target they were chasing when he came in was considered impossible. We hadn't seen an innings like that before, nowadays hitting like that is regarded the norm but back then it was something special.

I do agree though that there are a few since to probably eclipse it.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lloyd's 102 off 85 balls in the 1975 final against Australia really good as well. Even though it was a first innings, Lloyd came in at 50/3 after 20 odd overs had been bowled, and scored at an incredible pace to set up the 291 total, and Windies won only by 17 runs.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Lloyd's 102 off 85 balls in the 1975 final against Australia really good as well. Even though it was a first innings, Lloyd came in at 50/3 after 20 odd overs had been bowled, and scored at an incredible pace to set up the 291 total, and Windies won only by 17 runs.
Still my favourite one-day innings. His run-rate was extraordinary by the standards of the day, even allowing for Aus maintaining a more attacking field than we'd see nowadays. And, as you added, it was against a terrific attack.

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
kapil's 175 not out coming in at 9/4 which soon became 17/5 should be among the greatest ODI knocks even though it came against zimbabwe
If I recall it right, Indians were going to be eliminated if they had lost to Zim. At 17/5 , Indians were pretty much done with that WC and then Kapil played one of the best knocks in ODI.

Last edited:

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
Came against a very good attack.

Dissector

International Debutant
I would go with Aravinda. Early wickets, top opposition, world cup final.

Gambhir is up there but a key difference is that India was test no.1 and had won the TT world championship, with Gambhir playing a major role in both . They were used to winning especially at home. SL in 96, not so much especially away and Aravinda would have had to overcome that mental baggage.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Inzamam's was probably the most brutal. It was at a time when the target they were chasing when he came in was considered impossible.
The fact that the target was "impossible" makes me suggest that the pressure on him wasn't necessarily that high.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Gambhir 's 97. Big total to chase, home crowd pressure, two biggest guns dismissed cheaply, Malinga on fire etc.
'home crowd pressure' is pretty meaningless when you consider that the alternative is, y'know, not being at home. If you're trying to argue that home advantage isn't a thing then I can't help you

Jassy

Banned
'home crowd pressure' is pretty meaningless when you consider that the alternative is, y'know, not being at home. If you're trying to argue that home advantage isn't a thing then I can't help you
In a standard test match yours would be a very valid point, but in a WC final with India vying to become the first ever team to win the WC at home and with two of their best batsmen back in the hut, OS' point has merit.

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
The fact that the target was "impossible" makes me suggest that the pressure on him wasn't necessarily that high.
Full credit to Inzzy to pull it off but good point about impossible situation and pressure. I am not sure if Inzzy has played many other good knocks in WCs or finals but this was a top class knock from Inzzy. Pakistan was looking totally out before his knock due to very slow batting by IK.

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
That one was outstanding but there are other better knocks:
Michal Hussey 60* vs Pakistan in T20 World Cup.
Adam Gilchrist 149* vs Srilanka in final.
Ponting 140* vs India in final.
Aravinda 67* vs Australia in final.
Kapil's 175 vs Zimbabwe.
Richard's 181 vs West indies

And a few others..

smash84

The Tiger King
Just watched that Steve waugh century again the other day. Just friggin outstanding. The turning point of the 1999 world cup.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's an advantage because you know the conditions. The thread title was about "pressure", the mental aspect of it, and imo that component is higher when you're in front of your home crowd. It's why we choked in that 96 semifinal. The pressure of winning the game after Sachin got out multiplied to enormous proportions. The rest of the batting couldn't handle it in 96, Gambhir and Dhoni were able to soak it up in 2011

cnerd123

likes this
Dhoni's innings pretty fantastic too. Such a big moment, high pressure game, and he just spontaneously decided to push himself up the order. Leading from the front right there.