• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The great Pujara v. Kohli v. Rahane debate

Who of these do you think will have the best test career?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I haven't been following much cricket recently but I find it slightly surprising that this is such a heated debate whereas it used to be a solid consensus that Pujara was head and shoulders above the other two in Test cricket.
Really? Kohli has so obviously been the best since South Africa for mine.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I haven't been following much cricket recently but I find it slightly surprising that this is such a heated debate whereas it used to be a solid consensus that Pujara was head and shoulders above the other two in Test cricket.
Pujara hasn't been remarkable and Kohli had a superb test series in Australia. There is a bit of Kohli wave going on too. We won't know for a while, as India don't have important test tours, at least abroad in forseeable future, last time I checked.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I have loved how Vijay has developed. Leaves the ball so well now. I wish he goes from strength to strength. Has been one of the most improved players. Remember SJS liking Vijay very early when he came into the scene, complimenting his balance.

Spark

Global Moderator
Kohli doesn't go big enough for me. Started rectifying it down under but be's been really poor at going on with his tons.
Did he? In each of the four Tests he got out not long after getting 100, which allowed us to get enough of a first innings lead to really push for a win.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did he? In each of the four Tests he got out not long after getting 100, which allowed us to get enough of a first innings lead to really push for a win.
Nah, 141, 169 and 147 are huge scores. He's definitely improving a lot on that front.

OverratedSanity

Kohli doesn't go big enough for me. Started rectifying it down under but be's been really poor at going on with his tons.
Yeah, he should've got a double considering the match situation in a couple of those tons.

On the other hand when he gets a start, he invariably goes on to 3 figures. 10 tons in 33 games is a pretty amazing rate. Conversion rate from fifties to hundreds is great too.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah, was hearing the commentary. Yorkshire in a spot of bother. Still early season, so hopefully will have a better season than the start.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
His top score prior to the Aus tour was something like 116, which is shocking for a bloke who had 6 or 7 tons by that point.

That's why I said he's started rectifying it, he pushed on beyond that at least a couple of times without making a really series defining innings.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
His Adelaide knock was a series defining knock. Better than any 250 in a draw. He just didn't have the team around him (i.e. he had a dumb **** wicket keeper and a tail who I wouldnt piss on if they were on fire). It also set the tone that the team was going to play to win.

Still has room to improve though. His dismissals in 1st dig Melb and Sydney when set were ****.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Yeah, I haven't seen a better 4th innings knock live than Kohli at Adelaide tbh. Was doubly impressed because before that I wasn't convinced with him against spin. That pitch had a very nasty rough and spun plenty.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
those inside out cover drives against the spin. oh baby.

**** you Saha and Rohit and whoever it was that gave Rahane out.

OverratedSanity

His Adelaide knock was a series defining knock. Better than any 250 in a draw. He just didn't have the team around him (i.e. he had a dumb **** wicket keeper and a tail who I wouldnt piss on if they were on fire). It also set the tone that the team was going to play to win.
Shame we forgot about this in the pissweak draws in the last two tests.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I said play to win not play to lose. Don't see how they could have won Melbourne. Sydney they had a strategy and Rohit got out at the wrong time.

Where they played to lose was the Sydney World Cup semi final :ph34r:

OverratedSanity

I said play to win not play to lose. Don't see how they could have won Melbourne. Sydney they had a strategy and Rohit got out at the wrong time.

Where they played to lose was the Sydney World Cup semi final :ph34r:
Melbourne was the test where Dhoni opted to play it safe and not go for wickets when Marsh was batting with the tail, and refused to take the new ball. We had Australia at 220-7 with the lead close to 300 I think. There was a chance, albeit very slim, if we'd bowled the tail out quickly and gone for it like in Adelaide.

Showed a shocking lack of intent to go all out for the win in the morning session and allowed the lead to swell to 380+ and the series was dead. You'd think with us attempting to keep the series alive, we'd attack with the ball in the morning. Itw as ****ing pathetic.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Thought you were referring to batting in the 4th innings. Clearly Kohli can't do anything about Dhoni's captaincy in the field :ph34r: