• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The great Pujara v. Kohli v. Rahane debate

Who of these do you think will have the best test career?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
not sure if this is the correct thread

Kohli hits out over criticism of Anushka | Business Standard News

"In last five years, the number of matches I've helped India win and the consistency I've played is more than anyone else in the team," the Indian One-Day International (ODI) side vice-captain had said at a promotional event.

"I don't think there's anybody else in the team who has done better than me," Kohli said.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Unsure who the better test bat is among Pujara and Kohli after Kohli's performances in the test series down under.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Find Rahane over rated atm. He attempts shots he should not way outside the off stump. Have seen bowlers trying to exploit this now. He has talent but so do a lot of young players. I don't find this issue when rating guys like Williamson or Kohli but with Rahane, I still find him limited.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
People used to do the same thing with Parthiv Patel I remember. Every one was so ****ing excited about him. We did it also with Manjrekar.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Reckon KL Rahul could be a pretty damn good batsman for India.
A hundred in your second test in Australia against a decent Aussie attack - that's pretty impressive.

Guy has arguably the best technique of any India opener since Gavaskar.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Comparing Rahane with Parthiv Patel? :laugh:

I'm pretty sure Rahane once snubbed Pratters' autograph request at a grocery store.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Reckon KL Rahul could be a pretty damn good batsman for India.
A hundred in your second test in Australia against a decent Aussie attack - that's pretty impressive.

Guy has arguably the best technique of any India opener since Gavaskar.
I watched him closely in couple of domestic games as well. KL Rahul does strike me as some with really good technique. Very early days but I will watch out for him as well..

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Currently he isn't as good as Kohli. Has the potential to be better but he's still a work in progress, albeit a very good one. Kohli far closer to being the finished article.
Kohli can learn from Rahane in swinging conditions (e.g. England).

Also, Rahane has a better away average overall (actually better than anyone in the world who debuted in the last 5 years). Among the current players, only very established or close-to-retirement guys like Sanga, AB, Amla, Chanders have better away average than Rahane. His away average is higher than even Smith or Warner. And it's not that those away tests were in subcontinent or something. The 4 away series Rahane has played so far were in SA, NZ, Eng and Aus - definitely the 4 most difficult places for SC batsmen.

Last edited:

Daemon

Rahane's played just one Test at home. To average 45 and to play some of the knocks he has in the 4 toughest overseas tours possible for Indians is really quite remarkable and is pretty much why everyone rates him so highly.

OverratedSanity

Kohli can learn from Rahane in swinging conditions (e.g. England).

Also, Rahane has a better away average overall (actually better than anyone in the world who debuted in the last 5 years). Among the current players, only very established or close-to-retirement guys like Sanga, AB, Amla, Chanders have better away average than Rahane. His away average is higher than even Smith or Warner. And it's not that those away tests were in subcontinent or something. The 4 away series Rahane has played so far were in SA, NZ, Eng and Aus - definitely the 4 most difficult places for SC batsmen.
Yep. His away performances have been amazing.

That's not what I meant when I said he's not quite as complete as Kohli, though. Kohli's better at constructing his innings, converting his starts and generally gets out to good bowling rather than him having a brainfade. Rahane has the tendency to throw it away with some really weird shots at times.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I haven't been following much cricket recently but I find it slightly surprising that this is such a heated debate whereas it used to be a solid consensus that Pujara was head and shoulders above the other two in Test cricket.

Niall

International Coach
I'l wait and see how Rahene does at home against international spinners, love him to bits but he has been muggy against spin in the last 12 months, for example it was tragic how clueless he looked against Ali and to a lesser extent Lyon last year. Kohli I see absolutely dominating in Asia where India are playing test cricket for the next 12 months or so.

Pujara can't be compared to either at the moment, fact is he failed overseas unlike the other 2.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yep. His away performances have been amazing.

That's not what I meant when I said he's not quite as complete as Kohli, though. Kohli's better at constructing his innings, converting his starts and generally gets out to good bowling rather than him having a brainfade. Rahane has the tendency to throw it away with some really weird shots at times.
Kohli doesn't go big enough for me. Started rectifying it down under but be's been really poor at going on with his tons.