• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The great Pujara v. Kohli v. Rahane debate

Who of these do you think will have the best test career?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cnerd123

likes this
Wouldn't call it luck lol. A country that huge with so much love for cricket; it's an indictment on the system that we aren't dominating every format consistently and can't seem to produce any bowlers.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Kohli is probably the guy you want on a fast bouncy wicket, he struggles a bit with the swing compared to the other two. I honestly do feel that a lot of people here seem to be basing their opinion on overseas performance, because if you are talking in terms of totality, and taking into consideration that India will play about half their games IN India, Pujara is miles ahead, and I can't see him dipping any time soon.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kohli and it's not close imo
It's Kohli by a ****ing mile. He'll eventually come good and deliver the results his class demands. As I've pointed out before his Test best score is pretty pathetic really, he really ought to have scored one massive hundred by now.
kohli has the most potential by far but remains to be seen if he will fully deliver on it or not, could be anything
Kohli will come good soon.

Haven't seen much of the other two although I did see Rahena against RSA and looked impressive.
Vote then, ****s!

harsh.ag

Rahane will be the best batsman in the world in 3 years time. He reminds of me Dravid even more than Pujara.
Bang on.

Crude comparisons but Rahane will be the Andrew Jones to Kohli's David Gower. Kohli looks like a king when he bats and you're shocked when he gets out and in the final round up Rahane will average a lot closer to Kohli than you would expect, despite Kohli being the one everyone will talk about in 20 years.

I'm not sure where Pujara will wash up. I think teams have worked out where he can't hurt them so they just bowl in the safe areas and wait, even if it takes 100 balls. He's plenty good enough and has the time to adapt though so if he does I think he'll have the highest average of the lot due to his ability to ruthlessly accumulate and bat time.

edit: better comparison for Kohli might be KP.
I think there was a Pujara interview before the tour that he's been trying to get more scoring shots and a broader range, so he seems up to it. Obvs taking a little time, but then that's okay.

Plus Kohli won't be KP because India don't have a Strauss/Cook. He will be well-loved. Plus he has Sachin to go back to for advice, unlike KP :)

Off both feet as well. I really like him and Kohli but I definitely find Pujara the harder one to evaluate. Has the record so far but he just doesn't look as good IMO.
I agree with this somewhat. His feet and body movements, especially his head at the point of stroke, all look worse than Kohli and Rahane at the moment.

Dravid:Pujara::Tendulkar:Kohli::Laxman:Rahane
Nah. Rahane : Dravid :: Kohli : Kohli :: Pujara : Amla

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Amla can score at a run a ball against quality pace attacks. Pujara nothing like Amla IMO.

harsh.ag

Amla can score at a run a ball against quality pace attacks. Pujara nothing like Amla IMO.
I was thinking about the early Amla. Should have specified. Although that comparison is filthy as well, now that I think about it :D

Jassy

Banned
Kohli is more like Ponting than Tendulkar easily. Pujara is probably like Dravid circa late 1990s (struggles in LOI et al). Rahane is probably more like Tendulkar.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
Kohli seems to have all sorts of problems playing spin. Not even 'quality spin', just spin in general. i can't identify anything technical. He just gives his wicket away to not-particularly-threatening spinners on a fairly regular basis. In that respect he resembles Pietersen and Bell.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
They'll all have great careers IMO, but they all are so very different.

I think Kohli will be the one rated the highest by the general public across the board, while Pujara will have the best overall numbers and Rahane will have the best 'record' in terms of a standard CW analysis.

They're all still so young with so much cricket ahead of them though; so much could change.

indiaholic

International Captain
Pujara because I want it to be Pujara. But in all honesty I think it will be Kohli. That guy has talent to burn.

harsh.ag

I want to really see all of them click together in one innings, massive hundreds, and India ending up with 670/4 declared - like Headingly 2002 :)

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All three are great in their own way. Gut feeling is that Pujara and Rahane will have better overall careers average wise but Kohli will be the man that the other side fear most as he can take the game away from the opposition. Kohli may well be a bit like KP, talented but gives it away a bit too much and you feel shortchanged despite his brilliance.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
They'll all have great careers IMO, but they all are so very different.

I think Kohli will be the one rated the highest by the general public across the board, while Pujara will have the best overall numbers and Rahane will have the best 'record' in terms of a standard CW analysis.

They're all still so young with so much cricket ahead of them though; so much could change.
This is kind of already the case as well.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Kohli, he has that Ponting swagger. Can see him go on some crazy run like Ponting did in the mid 00s.

Jassy

Banned
Rohit Sharma vs Ishant Sharma would make for a good comparison. They are as awful as each other in both their primary and secondary disciplines :p