• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Moeen Ali and the 'Free Gaza' wrist band

Status
Not open for further replies.

stumpski

International Captain
A rather glib observation but if 'the game is the game, no politics' is the attitude, what about South Africa and apartheid?
It was a long time ago I know, but I believe that the likes of John Arlott and David Sheppard were reprimanded for speaking out against Aparthied in the 'sixties, or at least discouraged from doing so.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
But who was right, in the end? We can benefit from hindsight but sporting boycotts was part of the greater effort that broke up apartheid from an external point of view. If that's the least we as outsiders can do to stop injustice then we should do it.

I support his decision. It's not like he went out wearing a Coke wrist band to advertise for a brand. He expressed something from his heart, to an audience who would've hopefully thought about what he's done and the conflict in general. To this end, raising awareness and making a stand I think is invaluable.

And to answer Marius' question about someone wearing a UKIP band- Ali was making a statement about the humanitarian crisis going on, not wearing a 'pro-Hamas anti-Israel' band. They're actually very different things.

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
But who was right, in the end? We can benefit from hindsight but sporting boycotts was part of the greater effort that broke up apartheid from an external point of view. If that's the least we as outsiders can do to stop injustice then we should do it.

I support his decision. It's not like he went out wearing a Coke wrist band to advertise for a brand. He expressed something from his heart, to an audience who would've hopefully thought about what he's done and the conflict in general. To this end, raising awareness and making a stand I think is invaluable.

And to answer Marius' question about someone wearing a UKIP band- Ali was making a statement about the humanitarian crisis going on, not wearing a 'pro-Hamas anti-Israel' band. They're actually very different things.
A political statement is a political statement.

I agree with Ali's view on this, but he made a political statement, and leaving the emotion of dead Palestinian kids out of it, that is not allowed by the ICC.

What if AB de Villiers or Faf du Plessis turned out to be rabid right wingers and wore wristbands about the 'plight' of white South Africans under the ANC? Would that be OK then?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Sport is supposed to be a unifying force for the greater good and not a divisive one that polarises opinion - his motives are laudable but he needs his arse kicked bloody hard
Yeah, this.

Also, it's one thing to voice your own views, but it's another thing entirely to do so when representing an entire country. I can't imagine many organisations in the world would be best please if a high-profile employee came out and backed one of Israel or Palestine, so I don't think there's anything remotely novel or controversial about him being read the riot act here.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

I agree with Ali's view on this, but he made a political statement, and leaving the emotion of dead Palestinian kids out of it, that is not allowed by the ICC.

What if AB de Villiers or Faf du Plessis turned out to be rabid right wingers and wore wristbands about the 'plight' of white South Africans under the ANC? Would that be OK then?
Depends. Is this 'plight' continuous bombing by the ANC? Would that not be literally true rather than an opinion? Because Palestinians are dying doesn't make Hamas right.

jan

State Vice-Captain
Seems the season of wristbands with unrealistic wishes has arrived. Looking forward to a wristband saying "Cancel Hamas" or "Free Tibet" or perhaps "Protect rainforests."

Failed to keep my resolution to not post in useless threads

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman

You'd hope AB and Faf would be smart enough to keep those views to themselves.

Again, I'd be supportive of their right to wear wristbands but at the same time a white South African doing so has a more sinister undertone to it.

Marius

International Debutant
You'd hope AB and Faf would be smart enough to keep those views to themselves.

Again, I'd be supportive of their right to wear wristbands but at the same time a white South African doing so has a more sinister undertone to it.
Exactly. I doubt Faf or AB are right-wingers, but the point stands - either any political statement is OK or none are.

andmark

International Captain
Would people be so supportive of a cricketer if say, Jimmy Anderson, wore a UKIP bracelet or something?
Supporting UKIP isn't as pressing an issue as say protesting against the Apartheid (or even supporting it, should such a disaster of politics happen). Voicing opinion against the Apartheid would've been suitable due to massive lack of civil rights in Apartheid South Africa. So to say that politics should be completely separate of sport is only realistic in a better world which we're centuries away from. So the ICC should decide whether the Israel/Gaza situation is as pressing as anti apartheid protests would be.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
How about somebody wearing "Stand up for gay rights" and playing in UAE or Pakistan?

andmark

International Captain
That would be a tough one. I can honestly say I don't know, as much as I would agree with them on the issue

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, if they wore a gay charity one they'd get away with it IMO.
There will be few problms if they wear it in England and wvwn in Asian countries like SL or IND. Question is can they do it in Pakistan/ UAE / Bangladesh?

91Jmay

International Coach
There will be few problms if they wear it in England and wvwn in Asian countries like SL or IND. Question is can they do it in Pakistan/ UAE / Bangladesh?
Yep, course they can. Charities are fine to wear (hence England wearing Help for Heroes today - a charity which would probably be quite contentious in the countries you listed) as the ICC stipulates.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I don't think anyone would have a problem wearing a support gay rights wristband in the UAE.

Pakistan and Bangladesh is another matter though (although no one plays in Pak anyway).

I haven't read much about this but is it possible that he bought the wrist band because he obviously supports Palestine and forgot to take it off in the match?

Binkley

U19 Captain
I personally agree with Ali's opinion, but the ICC regulations seem pretty clear, players may not wear any paraphernalia or clothing related to a political, religious, or racial cause.

I think he should therefore be sanctioned, although that will cause an absolute pooh storm I think. What do you guys reckon?
I cautiously agree with your view, but it also seems somewhat hypocritical of the ICC to ban players from making political statements when it makes them itself. If the ICC view is that politics should be kept out of sport, then why did it ban teams from playing South Africa during the Apartheid era (a decision I agree with)?

91Jmay

International Coach
Has anyone got any evidence the ICC fined/banned Olonga/Flower? Because only report I have found seems to state that ICC rejected ZCB request for a fine/ban.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I cautiously agree with your view, but it also seems somewhat hypocritical of the ICC to ban players from making political statements when it makes them itself. If the ICC view is that politics should be kept out of sport, then why did it ban teams from playing South Africa during the Apartheid era (a decision I agree with)?
When the last time any international cricket team toured Israel though?

Status
Not open for further replies.