• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Katich call up

Mingster

State Regular
Well if you're saying 'equal in ability', thats a broad term....

So a bad bowler with bad batting combined is also an allrounder by your terms then Richard?

If you look at the New Zealand Team that played Pakistan in the 5th ODI, our lineup were either batsmen or allrounders. Kyle Mills has a first class 100 and an average of 41 batted at 11.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
That's Richard's point I believe (and one I have often quoted) - th phrase "all-rounder" is extremely over-used.

There's only a few all-rounders in International Cricket, yet the list of those being called all-rounders is very long indeed.
The term "all-rounder" has grown to encompass any player who can contribute with either bat and ball, bat and gloves or even in a few cases, bat and the field. A batsman who bowls in my opinion is someone you ask to bowl as a part timer, such as Atherton in his early years, Mark Butcher, Vaughan, Michael Clarke. They are fill-in bowlers but nowhere near frontline.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
good to see Katich getting a run, he did well in the last test and has been in fantastic form all season.

as for lehmann he will be back in a couple of games, more than likley for martyn whos footwork against spinners is just crap really.

symonds batting is fine, dont knock it :)

if they want martyn to make runs maybe he should open and have Katich @ 4

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Oh yes please. Ive always hoped Marto would once again open, I really think he'd do well there, give him a bit of time to wear in.

deeps

International 12th Man
Richard said:
None of the above are capable of doing what is neccesary in ODIs - being economical.
which is wat brad hogg seems 2 b very good at doinG!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mingster said:
Well if you're saying 'equal in ability', thats a broad term....

So a bad bowler with bad batting combined is also an allrounder by your terms then Richard?

If you look at the New Zealand Team that played Pakistan in the 5th ODI, our lineup were either batsmen or allrounders. Kyle Mills has a first class 100 and an average of 41 batted at 11.
Khaled Mahmud is an all-rounder - he is equally poor at batting and bowling.
Though I think in one-day-cricket he has to be counted as a bowler who bats a bit because he has been effective at times with the ball.
As for the Mills thing, his First-Class record is totally irrelevant because he's playing one-day-internationals.
But I'd say even his bowling isn't quite as bad as his batting.:lol:

Dick Rockett

Richard said:
As for the Mills thing, his First-Class record is totally irrelevant because he's playing one-day internationals.
Not really - Scoring a first class hundred isn't exactly easy. Just because it wasn't a one day innings doesn't mean he forgets which way to hold a bat when he puts his colours on!

PY

International Coach
marc71178 said:
There's only a few all-rounders in International Cricket, yet the list of those being called all-rounders is very long indeed.
I can think of one truly world-class all-rounder currently in the truest sense of the word and that is Jacques Kallis (maybe not even him bowling has trailed off a bit recently).

PY

International Coach
Neither of whom are anywhere near Jacques Kallis. He's been in top 10 for batting and bowling in the past, not just fleeting visits either.

Please don't say they are as good as Kallis!!

EDIT: He still is currently in the Top 10 in both. A true world class in both forms all-rounder.

Last edited:

Dick Rockett

This "world-class" phrase is pointless. Surely if a player is an international, he's world class.

Unless you mean he's a prospect for selection against the Uranus 1st XI.

Some all-rounders are better than others, so what? Streak and Oram certainly both qualify as all-rounders.

PY

International Coach
OK replace 'world-class' with exceptional on a world level.

The other two are crap comparatively.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
PY said:
Neither of whom are anywhere near Jacques Kallis. He's been in top 10 for batting and bowling in the past, not just fleeting visits either.

Please don't say they are as good as Kallis!!

EDIT: He still is currently in the Top 10 in both. A true world class in both forms all-rounder.
Kallis is a batting allrounder and Streak is a bowling allrounder. Streak is clearly the better bowler and Kallis is clearly the better batsman. Not much to compare them on.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
as for lehmann he will be back in a couple of games
Was the squad named before or after the tragedy of Hookes?

If after, I think it's clear why he wasn't selected.

Dick Rockett

PY said:
OK replace 'world-class' with exceptional on a world level.

The other two are crap comparatively.
I think that's a bit harsh. You're talking about two very good players. Kallis is exceptional, yes, but that doesn't relegate all other all-rounders to "crap" status.

Tiger Woods is streets ahead of the rest of the pack, but that doesn't make Els or Singh crap does it?

PY

International Coach
Kallis - Tests - 75, Runs - 5486 @ 53.26, Wickets - 158 @ 30.23
Streak - Tests - 57, Runs - 1746 @ 22.97, Wickets - 197 @ 27.96

There's an awful lot of bowlers who would like a record like Kallis'. I don't think you can regard him as a batting allrounder. That's an opinion mind.