• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

is paul harris the worst bowler to take 100+ wickets?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Worst to have 2000 Runs or 100 Wickets XI
1. Roshan Mahanama
2. Daren Ganga
3. Mohammad Ashraful
4. Alistair Campbell
5. Ken Rutherford
6. Mark Ramprakash
7. Adam Parore+
8. Nicky Boje
9. Mohammad Rafique
10. Dilhara Fernando
11. Fidel Edwards

12th (seamer): Devon Malcolm

Wicket-keeping choice was harsh, as no-one really specifically deserved it and there's not a way that I can find to see how many byes conceded for example. Was tempted to go Akmal based on how they look when keeping but having not seen everyone keep, just went with batting stats.
I felt perhaps Parore, playing in a more modern era of keeper-batsmen, underachieved for someone who actually had some talent with the bat...

Some of these players aren't so bad. A more telling one would probably be 1500 runs and 80 wickets.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Fidel is a terrible call. He was genuinely threatening in the latter half of his career and even looking at his entire record has a half decent SR.

Was one of the better fast bowlers in the late 00s early 10s.

Obviously he isn't a brilliant bowler but he was better than a fair few of the names being flung around here.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
On the rare occasions when I saw him bowl against New Zealand, Harris looked a lot better than Vettori, so yeah I'd say he's being treated a bit harshly here. Nothing flash, but a handy enough bowler, especially given that a lot of the surfaces that he would've bowled on wouldn't have been great for the spinners.

Very harsh on Parore there. He was really a pre-Gilchrist keeper, so he was in the side primarily for his keeping, with his batting being a handy bonus. And purely as a wicket keeper Parore is probably close to New Zealand's best ever. While his batting average isn't flash it's really not far off those of contemporary players like Ian Healy and Dave Richardson. And he deserves points for scoring his two test centuries against the two best bowling attacks that he faced in his career - the '94 Windies and the '01 Australians.

Last edited:

NZTailender

Fidel is a terrible call. He was genuinely threatening in the latter half of his career and even looking at his entire record has a half decent SR.

Obviously he isn't a brilliant bowler but he was better than a fair few of the names being flung around here.
He had a couple of okay years, but far more bad ones. With the new ball, he averages 39. Maybe he should look at being 1st or 2nd change bowler where his average drops to 25.

NZTailender

Hmm, you may be right if we were to consider he has 12 5fers...

NZTailender

On the rare occasions when I saw him bowl against New Zealand, Harris looked a lot better than Vettori, so yeah I'd say he's being treated a bit harshly here. Nothing flash, but a handy enough bowler, especially given that a lot of the surfaces that he would've bowled on wouldn't have been great for the spinners.

Very harsh on Parore there. He was really a pre-Gilchrist keeper, so he was in the side primarily for his keeping, with his batting being a handy bonus. And purely as a wicket keeper Parore is probably close to New Zealand's best ever. While his batting average isn't flash it's really not far off those of contemporary players like Ian Healy and Dave Richardson. And he deserves points for scoring his two test centuries against the two best bowling attacks that he faced in his career - the '94 Windies and the '01 Australians.
Yeah I admit that choice was a bit harsh, but really didn't know who else to put. Edit: was tempted to go Moin Khan because of all keepers with 100 dismissals he has the least amount of dismissals per innings (1.2 or something)

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I admit that choice was a bit harsh, but really didn't know who else to put. Edit: was tempted to go Moin Khan because of all keepers with 100 dismissals he has the least amount of dismissals per innings (1.2 or something)
Would argue that someone like Kakmal is far more deserving of the spot in the team, given his execrable failings behind the stumps, and his flakey, underachieving batting.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Rafique often had to carry the attack, if he'd had some support he would've bowled Bangladesh to more wins, think Australia 2006

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Can't agree with you there Athlai, I still reckon Fidel was pretty darn useless. Aggressive, quick, but not particularly bright or threatening. Bonus points for being entertaining though.

Similar to Tino Best IMO.

DriveClub

International Regular
Has to be Giles for me, hated his stupid action, a big jump or leap before release just for the ball not to spin an inch.

cnerd123

likes this
Rafique was BD's best player of all time pre-Shakib. Harsh on him.

Giles was pretty good; probably the least talented in the list yes, but could bowl to his fields, bowl long spells, really good control, bowled more or less how Jadeja is bowling now for Indian but a bit slower. In the 2005 Ashes he dismissed each of the Aussies Top 7 atleast once. And he could bat and field too.

Then again any bowler to take 100 test wickets does probably have something or another going for them.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Rafique was BD's best player of all time pre-Shakib. Harsh on him.

Giles was pretty good; probably the least talented in the list yes, but could bowl to his fields, bowl long spells, really good control, bowled more or less how Jadeja is bowling now for Indian but a bit slower. In the 2005 Ashes he dismissed each of the Aussies Top 7 atleast once. And he could bat and field too.

Then again any bowler to take 100 test wickets does probably have something or another going for them.
Yep, this list is naturally going to be harsh on people

BoyBrumby

Englishman
On Rafique, there's two ways one can look at it: yes, he had little support, but against that he was also less likely to be milked than Harris or Giles, who were generally the worst of their bowling attacks.

Batsmen less likely to take chances against a team's best bowler when they have a few numpties to bleed. Giles bowled with a combo of Gough, Caddick, Harmison, Flintoff, Hoggard, Jones (S) and Anderson & Harris with the likes of Steyn, Morkel, Ntini, Nel & Kallis.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I reckon if Rafique was around today he'd be averaging roughly similar with the best SLA's around. Just think him and Giles were around at a poor time to be an orthodox spinner IMHO. Rafique better than Giles, IMHO. C'mon he almost always had to face batsmen already in, and just looking to play out any half-decent bowler. Think because the Bangas were so poor he played on awhile past his best too, think he was pretty good for the first 5 years or so.

If you are talking about being in a side, he could also bat a bit. Test Match 100 and all that.