• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kamran Khan's disappearing act

nexxus

U19 Debutant
I remember watching him in the IPL bowling at 140kph in SA and then *poof* he's gone. Cricinfo says he had a couple of first class games a couple years later and Google says he had some issues with his action.

Any particular reason why he wasn't persevered with, 2 FC games averaging under 30 aren't an awful return at all, and a seamer bowling at over 140 is diamond dust in India, surely more of an effort should've been made to support this kid?

Or is there something I'm missing?

karan316

State Vice-Captain
I had asked about him in the South Africa in Sri Lanka thread aswell.

Warne was the one who showed a bit of confidence in him, I guess he was a net bowled before he got picked. After a few matches, his action was reported, he got it corrected and bowled with a pretty clean action, touching 140ks regularly. But he was given no opportunities at all in the Indian domestic games, not even a single match. Then he played two FC games for Colts in the Sri Lankan domestic setup. After that, he hasn't played in any matches at a decent level. It was quite sad to see him being ignored, especially when India needs some hit the deck quick bowlers.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Got injured - didn't pursue/want to pursue the longer formats. Of course no cricket meant no selection. He was called for chucking as well in 2011. Was sent home in 2011 end. Took up farming. And is now settled in that.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Right.

I'd guess stuff like this happened a lot in the past, we have a family legend (It may be true, I don't know the facts) about one of my great grandsomethings getting an India call up, only for his dad to go up to Bombay and drag him back to the shop. But that was usually because for many, playing cricket wasn't even as financially lucrative as running a good store.

These days though, it'd very hard to imagine someone choosing farming over cricket and a potential IPL contract. You'd think they would give it a good go before that, what with all the academies around, and surely some state would have been keen to give him a chance for a few FC or LA games, and that the BCCI definitely wouldn't just let a decent pace prospect just meander off into the ether. Strange one I think, maybe he didn't have the drive.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I had a client of that name - he got 6 years for aggravated arson - won't be out till sometime in 2016

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Many are still waiting impatiently for Kamran Akmal's disappearing act.
Akmal was truly a magician with the gloves. Both the cricket ball and his own would disappear as soon as the ball struck the edge of the bat.