Mon 11 Aug Lions v SL A Worcester
    Tue 12 Aug Lions v NZ A Worcester

Fri 15 Aug v Scotland, Cambusdoon New Ground, Ayr
    Sun 17 Aug v Scotland, Cambusdoon New Ground, Ayr
    Thu 21 Aug v Scotland, Grange Cricket Club, Edinburgh

Mon 25-Wed 27 Aug 3-day v Kent Canterbury
    Sun 31 Aug -Tue 2 Sep 3-day v Surrey Kia Oval
    Wed 3 Sep NZ A depart

England Lions squad: James Taylor (Nottinghamshire, captain), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Ravi Bopara (Essex), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Stephen Parry (Lancashire), Harry Gurney (Nottinghamshire), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Craig Overton (Somerset), Jason Roy (Surrey), Ravi Patel (Middlesex), Tom Smith (Lancashire), James Vince (Hampshire), David Willey (Northamptonshire)

Sri Lanka ‘A’: Ashan Priyanjan (Capt), Kusal Perera, Mahela Udawatte, Bhanuka Rajapaksa, Chathuranga de Silva, Niroshan Dickwella Dinesh Chandimal, Lahiru Gamage, Danushka Gunathilaka, Ishan Jayaratne, Lahiru Jayaratne, Sachith Pathirana, Priyamal Perera, Seekkuge Prasanna, Ramith Rambukwella, Vishwa Fernando, Dushmantha Chameera.

New Zealand 'A': BJ Watling (c), Hamish Bennett, Dean Brownlie, Colin de Grandhomme, Anton Devcich (returns after one-day matches), Grant Elliott, Matt Henry, Scott Kuggeleijn, Tom Latham, Adam Milne Doug Bracewell, Daryl Mitchell, Colin Munro (returns after one-day matches), Hamish Rutherford, Ish Sodhi (returns after one-day matches). Added to the squad for the two three-day matches: Todd Astle, Mark Craig, Michael Bracewell
    Last edited by Kippax; 26-07-2014 at 11:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . AGRIBUSINESS MONITORING . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

Cricket: Opening berth there for taking - Cricket - NZ Herald News

Michael Bracewell has an 'open' invitation to seize a test spot next month.

The New Zealand A team's tour of England begins this week with the Otago left-hander, along with test incumbents Tom Latham and Hamish Rutherford, in contention to open in two three-day matches against Kent and Surrey.

With New Zealand's middle order established, Dean Brownlie has also volunteered his services but remains a No5 or 6 option for now. Bracewell, who batted at No 3 for Otago last summer, is seen as a logical opening option, given Kane Williamson has a mortgage on first drop for the foreseeable future.

The tour starts with nine one-day matches to examine who might earn peripheral places in next year's World Cup squad. Bracewell joins the squad for the first-class itinerary later on.

In last season's Plunket Shield, the 23-year-old scored 845 runs at 52.81. His total of four centuries, at a conversion rate of 80 per cent once he reached 50, was matched only by Jesse Ryder and James Franklin.

Latham secured one opening spot on the West Indies tour with three 50s from six innings and an average of 48 but Rutherford is struggling for form.

Martin Guptill and Jeet Raval will come into consideration but Bracewell has first dibs.

Success should see him pencilled in for the three November tests against Pakistan in the United Arab Emirates. His stance and high backlift produce a strong driving game backed by solid defence and a sixth sense as to the location of his off stump.

"One good season doesn't make you a successful first-class cricketer," Bracewell says. " It'll be good to get further experience in English conditions having not played first-class cricket here."

This is where Bracewell's modesty needs a prod. He has played in England's second XI competition as part of the Marylebone Cricket Club's Young Cricketers after earning the right to be New Zealand's representative on the Lord's groundstaff in 2009, a prestigious role whose alumni include Martin Crowe and Ross Taylor.

"It helped me learn what it takes to become a professional,"he says. "I was there for the Ashes when 'Freddie' Flintoff took his only five-wicket bag in a Lord's test. It was amazing. We also helped out at practices. Seeing how players went about their prep was eye-opening.

"I was lucky enough to play two games on the main ground and the lunches were also something I'll never forget ... outstanding."

Bracewell, from a family renowned for their exceptional sporting accomplishments, is spending the English summer playing at the Downend club in Gloucestershire, the county coached by his uncle John Bracewell. Downend is a suburb of Bristol, and the 1848 birthplace of William Gilbert Grace. The club's home is called the WG Grace Memorial Ground.

"Apparently he lived across the road and played a couple of games there," Bracewell says of cricket's most famous bearded doctor. "The groundsman told me there's one particular area that dries quickest and that's where he used to train."

Grace is not the only former test cricketer Bracewell has come across this season. The Lashings celebrity invitation side played a fixture last month. They turned out an XI featuring former internationals Herschelle Gibbs, Saqlain Mushtaq and current England international Michael Carberry. Bracewell bowled Gibbs and made 52 off 25 balls before falling at long on as one of Saqlain's five victims.

Banned
    So Bracewell who bats #3 is seen as a logical opening option despite not playing any test cricket - but Kane, who bats #3 isn't seen as logical?

Logical isn't obviously something New Zealanders understand.

Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Oh give it a rest you ****ing dolt.
    HeathDavisSpeed and KiWiNiNjA like this.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DG Brownlie, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Have never looked forward to an A tour as much as this one. If Henry, Bennett and Brownlie don't perform I'll be ****ing gutted.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Blocky View Post
    So Bracewell who bats #3 is seen as a logical opening option despite not playing any test cricket - but Kane, who bats #3 isn't seen as logical?

There's no opportunity cost to Brownlie opening because he's not in the side if he's not opening. If you move Kane then you weaken another position.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    No FC game v the Lions? Shame.
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

State Captain

Which clearly makes you a New Zealander.
    KiWiNiNjA likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    There's no opportunity cost to Brownlie opening because he's not in the side if he's not opening. If you move Kane then you weaken another position.
    The opportunity cost is the fact that we sacrifice yet another young player to a position we can't get right and hope somehow they claw their way back - for every BJ Watling, we've seen a dozen Flynn's and Fulton's

The opportunity cost is the fact that we sacrifice yet another young player to a position we can't get right
    No, that's what you'd be doing if you opened with Williamson.

Brownlie is 30 years old and increasingly unlikely to get another extended run in the middle order with the emergence of Anderson and Neesham; you don't really lose anything by encouraging him to open.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    No, that's what you'd be doing if you opened with Williamson.

Brownlie is 30 years old and increasingly unlikely to get another extended run in the middle order with the emergence of Anderson and Neesham; you don't really lose anything by encouraging him to open.
    Sorry, we both misread each other - I was talking about Bracewell.

Brownlie, worth a shot at opening - sure. I'd be for that.

Sorry, we both misread each other - I was talking about Bracewell.

Brownlie, worth a shot at opening - sure. I'd be for that.
    Yeah my fault; I misread your opening post. Opening with Bracewell definitely has its own faults, I agree.

I just don't buy the idea that Kane Williamson is the only talented young batsman in the country with the ability to succeed at the top of the order in the long term.
    I said over a year ago that Latham was superbly talented and had the technique to play as a Test opener. I think that's likely to succeed.
    I think other young batsmen with that type of talent should be encouraged by that example.

So while I do agree with Blocky that we need the best, most talented batsmen in our lineup no matter what, I'd look at it from the other way around. Get those young batsmen the opportunity to succeed at the top of the order. Rutherford failed yes, but that doesn't mean that others will.
    Last edited by hendrix; 28-07-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Have never looked forward to an A tour as much as this one. If Henry, Bennett and Brownlie don't perform I'll be ****ing gutted.
    Particularly Henry. Looked absolutely superb in that ODI vs India. Major Test option.

Banned
    Exposing Latham to any of the top three bowling attacks at the moment would probably result in a meager series, but that's OK - we can sustain a few series while he develops in that role, but it was pointed out above - there is a log jam in capable middle order talent in the country at the moment, therefore we need to try and play our top six batsmen (seven with BJ) capable of performing consistently at test, at the moment, in rank of order of the likelihood of them hitting 50 or more in an innings if we exclude Ryder.

Williamson
    Taylor
    Watling
    Neesham
    McCullum
    Latham
    Anderson

So if we take those seven and decide we need to play them, you either have McCullum as an opener, or Williamson as an opener, correct? Unless we don't pick Anderson/Neesham in the same side - but I think ultimately we'll see in the next two years both of them are batsmen who bowl, rather than all rounders.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information