• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand 'A' Tour of U.K., 2014

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Ah ok. Four fifties and a high of 59.

Some time at Gloucester should def help Tastle and Craig forget about that pesky long form of the game and become fully self-actualized multi-faceted one-day allrounders.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Still watch the way Henry worked over Dhawan in the India ODIs. Classic good bowler figuring out a technically flawed batsman.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Is he getting past Flynn or Vettori to play the Champions League, Devcich?

84 years without an official NZ chucker, could it be two in two months from the men in pink.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
England Lions v New Zealand A, Tri-series, Bristol Report : Jonny Bairstow masks weak Lions display | Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

The Lions can also look back ruefully on a handful of opportunities to remove Brownlie that did not go their way. On 39, he was left stranded after playing a late cut and taking a few steps down the pitch, only for Jason Roy at backward point to pull off a brilliant diving stop. Roy then set himself and fired at the stumps in an instant, but missed by a matter of inches, with Brownlie scampering back to his crease.

Two overs later, Craig Overton was sure he had trapped him in front for 45 but the umpire disagreed. The final reprieve, when Brownlie had already passed fifty, was the trickiest of the lot, as Tom Smith at midwicket dived and got one hand on a thumping pull shot that would have been a stunning catch.
While the New Zealand A attack were not challenging by ODI standards
Posted by Andy_Nelson on (August 8, 2014, 20:03 GMT)
Well played NZ A! England were beaten by a better team today. From my vantage point at the ground Henry and Bracewell were clearly the most talented bowlers on display - from either team. Matt Henry in particular troubled the English with his sharp pace and intelligent line, and is a great prospect to step up to NZ's top team. Fantastic to see Dean Brownlie make a century too. He's another world class player, and appears hungry for another shot in the Black Caps.
Posted by Vithushan Ehantharajah on (August 9, 2014, 8:33 GMT)
@Andy_Nelson & @TFJ100: Hi guys - appreciate the comments. I should state that I, too was at the game but you both make fair points; Henry was impressive and I can see why the line TFJ highlighted sounds like faint praise. Honestly didn't mean to come across patronising. My remit was to focus on England given debate and changing nature of our sides, plus the fact I know much more about them as players and individuals. I think I was probably a bit harsh on the other NZ bowlers given how they reacted when Bairstow began tee-ing off. But apologies if you felt this was too one-eyed - certainly wasn't my intention when writing it.
Typical cricinfo. First time I've ever seen a reporter log in and do that though.

Flem274*

123/5
Just feast on the tears with the rest of us.

When we're number one and all conquering* the "test cricket has lost quality and is dead" cries from the likes of Ian Chappell will be glorious.

*in 2500 AD

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know what's more depressing: The idea that it'll take us 500 years to get the number 1 spot, or that Ian Chappell will still be alive when we do it.

91Jmay

International Coach
30-50 more than we should have got. Happy for Tom Smith and JB continues his good form.

Still very chaseable though.

Blocky

Banned
Wonder what the articles will write today in relationship of how the English A's are just so much better than the Kiwi counterparts but it's just really bad luck that is costing them.