• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand 'A' Tour of U.K., 2014

Flem274*

123/5
Just a case of Plunket Shield tactics not working in other countries I think.

They might have put a billion on the board at Westpac Stadium, with no one there to watch because Heef has barricaded the gates.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Dougeh's wrist and release still haven't recaptured their 2011 form. No outswing to report.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Drinks at Bristol - New Zealand A are 89-2. Brownlie going steady on 52 (49) but has offered a couple of chances.
42nd over ends with Dean Brownlie finding long-on to end his innings on 115. Well batted that man. New Zealand A 238-6
Looks like a very virile attempt to put a good total on the board from NZA. Disappointed in the lack of game sense from the in-form CdG, but not too surprised.

stumpski

International Captain
We have a match now, 20 overs bowled - and there's no guarantee of that today.

Lions struggling somewhat at 94-4.

stumpski

International Captain
Yep, his first 5-for in one-day cricket - and he's in now. Smith gone. Bit of a pressure wicket that, only two singles had come from the previous seven balls.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well, good performances which is what this is all about. Yet hopefully people can stop with this being a better side than the real one.

They're by far a more exciting team, but as a Somerset fan I know exciting isn't always winning.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Went along today to the game at Bristol. Was a decent enough game. Kept the crowd interested until the end.

Willey got 5 but looked powder puff lite at times. Munro randomely missed a big full toss and there were a couple of other cheap wickets. I really doubt he's good enough for international cricket at the moment as an opening bowler (which he would have to be as a swing bowler who bowls it at ~78mph). Could maybe get a run at t20 but a little lacking imo at the present time. Gurney and Topley are better bowling options but obviously don't offer Willey's batting.

Finn probably tried too hard and too much on your typical slow Bristol wicket but still could have picked up a couple of other wickets. Coverton was the opposite and bowled well not giving much away

In all truth NZ should have got 320 but went too hard, too early. England imo should have chased it down but NZ fast bowlers bowled better than the English early on. Henry was probably the best bowler on show for the day and caused problems early on.

Some more general points and opinions about the chances of these players making the England ODI and T20 side gleamed from this season.

Imo Hales should now get his chance in the ODI side. He's worked hard, changed his technique a little and gained more consistency this season. Not convinced he will succeed but I'm happy enough should he get the chance (as opposed to 6 months ago when I thought he definitely shouldn't).

Vince shouldn't get a chance in ODI (but maybe T20). He's had a terrible time with the lions in a variety of conditions. He needs to make bigger scores against better opposition. He also seems to get out a lot lbw shuffling across and then playing down the wrong line/to leg.

Roy a T20 callup but no way ODI yet. He's got the talent but still very raw.

Bairstow is doing well but should be left to continue his OD development before any thoughts of a recall.

Finn will presumably come back in to the ODI side. Hope he goes well. Other bowlers aren't really international standard at present. Gotta persevere with Jordan, Gurney, Tredwell (and dare i say keep Bresnan around as much for his improved batting which could have him at 7 if Eng change tactics)

Days of Grace

International Captain
The disgusting Ish Sodhi looks like he has fluked a couple of tail-end wickets, thus riding on the coattails of the seam bowlers whilst also denying them further deserved wickets.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The disgusting Ish Sodhi looks like he has fluked a couple of tail-end wickets, thus riding on the coattails of the seam bowlers whilst also denying them further deserved wickets.
Where is this coming from? Just because Sodhi isn't good enough to play test cricket yet, that doesn't mean he deserves to be labelled "disgusting", or that his successes are worthy of nothing but derision. Seriously crap post.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Was a bit of a bog standard spell from Sodhi that saw him steal the rewards away from the tighter seamers, itbt. :p

Good to see Kuggs starting to get more lbw shouts on left-handers with shape back down the line.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Pleased to see the Matt Henry 'A' tour of the UK is going well. That first wicket against the Lions seems such a typical wicket for him - 'oh you thought I was going to bowl another outswinger'.

Haven't been following that closely but no Michael Bracewell yet? Is he only there for the 3-dayers?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah averaging 29 in Gloucester club cricket atm -
Downend CC - Site

Mark Craig and Tastle are attending net sessions with John Bracewell's Glos boys as well, I read.

Last edited: