• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Greatest All-Round Performance?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1st Test: Australia v New Zealand at Brisbane, Nov 8-12, 1985 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

One of a few Hadlee performances that I'd say were better - 15 wickets, 2 catches, 54 runs (1 innings)
I'm sceptical about one or two in viriya's list but in purely cricketing terms I'm happy to concede there are plenty that are better something which, of course, is also evidenced by the fact that Atkinson has never been a household name - I wonder though how Sir Paddles might have done if he had been skipper in circumstances where none of his teammates and almost all of the crowd didn't want him there, not to mention if he didn't have the huge amount of talent that he undeniably had

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Public service broadcasting at its finest. More the fulfilling CW's educational remit.

Seriously, great stuff. A chap who, one admits shamefacedly, I never heard of until now. A wonderfully un-Caribbean name, Denis Atkinson. More fitting for a pre-war Burnley wing-half.

Blocky

Banned
I think your cricrate All Rounder rankings puts far too high of a benefit on runs and not enough on wickets.