• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Zimbabwe 2014

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. Sibanda
2. Masakadza
3. Ballance
4. Goodwin
5. Taylor *
6. Ervine, S
7. Taibu +
8. Meth
9. Querl
10. Spinner
11. Jarvis

Waller, Williams, Fast Bowler, Fast Bowler.

Not a bad squad, if you could get everyone back and not throwing.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ballance would open and Williams would play ahead of Sibanda IMO. Colin de Grandhomme would be around the squad as well I'm sure.

Anthony Ireland would possibly be in the mix as he still gets a game in county cricket, but I think I'd still think I'd pick Chatara and Shingi Masakadza ahead of him (as well as the guys in the side you've listed).

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Ballance wouldn't be the batsman he is today though if he only ever knew the Zimbabwean system.

Whenever Zimbabwe play I wonder whether Dion Ebrahim is still playing club cricket back in my home province.
Our club got Anthony Ireland for the first half of the 2012 season. Should give him a test debut tbh.

viriya

International Captain
Can't believe SA has stuck to faf at 3 and moved amla down with ab at 5. With AB not keeping anymore and Amla doing well at #3 surely you Faf at #5 makes more sense?

Last edited:

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
I think the way forward is to have some versatility in the batting line up? either way, I think faf has accounted for himself quite well so far.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
After the series in Sri Lanka, Steyn became the fast bowler with the most wickets in Asia with 84 in 17 matches. It's amazing that he's managed to maintain not just his average but also his destructive strike rate. He'll have another couple of tours to Asia and he'll definitely go over 100 imo. Amazing achievement to have a quarter of your wickets in the worst place for fast bowling.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Zim should be very disappointed in their fielding, could have had SA under pressure a few times now, but letting batsmen off easy.

Stapel

International Regular
I just came home and checked the score. What was Duminy/Philander low scoring rate all about? I'm normally a big fan of typical Test cricket, where batsmen wear out bowlers and wait 7 wait & wait & wait for the poor ball. But with a 50 runs lead and 4 wickets in hand, scoring 40 runs at 1,5 an over seems a bit slow.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
If the umpires made made the right decisions in the first innings and the Zimbos fielded better they could have been in the driving seat in this test.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great stuff by Zim. Apart from the fielding lapses. Wish they go on to score another 260 odd at least. Man they came close to putting SA under real pressure :)

viriya

International Captain
Man just checked day 1 highlights.. Zim had 3 bad decisions.. looked like the umpire was **** scared of Steyn.. all he had to do was ask. No DRS I'm guessing.

viriya

International Captain
Impressed with Zim fight. Just that they bowled out SA for <400 and avoided an innings defeat is enough to give them more matches vs the Ban at least.

viriya

International Captain
Yes that pitch took turn from day 1 so doesn't tell you how he would fare elsewhere vs better opposition.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Yes that pitch took turn from day 1 so doesn't tell you how he would fare elsewhere vs better opposition.
Has a decent first class record on SA wickets. Also possesses the Doosra, top-spinner and carrom-ball in his arsenal. Could be SA's front line spinner for a while.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nyumbu seems to be a real hope for the future for the Zimbabweans. Hope he plays county soon!