• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Zimbabwe 2014

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They're always going to be prone to the old middle order collapse with such a mercurial line-up, Zimbabwe.

I know pretty much nothing about this bowling line-up. No Jarvis is of course a disappointment. What's happened to Waller? Just not selected?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
They're always going to be prone to the old middle order collapse with such a mercurial line-up, Zimbabwe.

I know pretty much nothing about this bowling line-up. No Jarvis is of course a disappointment. What's happened to Waller? Just not selected?
The opening bowler Dale Steyn looks like a decent talent.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Good first day. Pity the umpire (Gaffaney every time was it? Not a great debut) followed the tried and true "if it's marginal, give it to the stronger team" philosophy, otherwise the Zimbos would be threatening a decent total. Without wickets falling, some incorrectly, at the other end, Taylor would probably still be there.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Nicked a stat off reddit: Steyn has more wickets than Malcolm Marshall despite bowling 2000 fewer deliveries.

Blocky

Banned
That's hardly a meaningless stat when you consider Marshall was considered one of the greatest strike bowlers of all time.. Consider Anderson and Broad are thought of as two of England's better bowlers over time, now realise they have averages about 10 runs higher than Steyn. The guy is a freak, on the level of McGrath, Akram and Younis.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
God it's good to see someone standing up to good bowling finally.

Well done Taylor. Keep going. You are a marvelous mofo.

Piedt coming good as well. Morkel really letting things slide now, huh?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Waller's been batting with a needle lately. Should've been picked anyway really but the new coach is seemingly under the illusion that pretending Zimbabwe have the depth and talent of a top eight nation will make it so; we're going to see relentless knee-jerking and general poor selection under his reign IMO.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, being outclassed a bit for sure, but fighting to stay in the game and causing a headache here and there, as good as you could have realistically expected I'd say

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And what happened to Prosper Utseya?
He's in the squad; just not picked here. He doesn't really put enough on it to be a threat in Tests. I was very sceptical of Nyumbu given his pretty mediocre returns in the Logan Cup (particularly when the national first fifteen weren't on tour..), but he's actually looked really good today. He's a better Test bowling option than Utseya if he can bowl like this consistently, although Prosper did add some bite to the tail.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Seem to recall Utseya bowling rather well against Pakistan and being quite crafty, but I'll take your word for it

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Seem to recall Utseya bowling rather well against Pakistan and being quite crafty, but I'll take your word for it
Yeah, I've always been a bit of a random fanboy, and I was surprised by the dropping for several reasons (although not *that* surprised because of the new coach's contrarian stance against anyone with experience), but if Nyumbu can bowl like this every time then it's fine really.

viriya

International Captain
Imagine ballance in this team.. Would possibly be able to bat for draws if that was the case.

Flem274*

123/5
Ballance wouldn't be the batsman he is today though if he only ever knew the Zimbabwean system.

Whenever Zimbabwe play I wonder whether Dion Ebrahim is still playing club cricket back in my home province.