• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Sri Lanka 2014

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Apparently Lakmal is struggling with a foot injury too, not surprising after he played the best part of two matches as a lone pacer, would like to see the selectors call up Kula as cover to make sure we have a line/length swing bowler available if both Lakmal and Eranga are unfit

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Pretty much neutral over here. I'd be curious to see how Pakistan plays given that Australia plays them later. As of now SL really gotta sort their team now, especially pace attack with Eranga gone and batting. Tharanga seems like a temporary opener, is reaaaally suspect outside off.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I'm more in the SL camp but I think test cricket needs another of the truly great fast bowlers that Palistan are capable of producing

smash84

The Tiger King
Waqar is the coach once again so am hoping our bowlers will be performing well. Hoping for us to win the series, which seems unlikely though atm though

smash84

The Tiger King
Btw what are people's predictions for the series?

Highest wicket taker?
Highest run scorer?
Final series score line?
Man of Series?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Rehman, Sanga, 1-1, Sanga

Think the Ajmal/Rehman combination might work in Rehman's favour as far as getting wickets go, while Herath and Perera will share a lot of wickets, was tossing up between Younis and Sanga for highest runs and eventually went for Sanga, suspect Pakistan might win the toss in one match and bat us out of it then win with the best spin combo in world cricket currently.

SOPL

Cricket Spectator
So, another series involving Pakistan finally arrives. Unfortunately, I feel that that this series is "overkill" to some extent - there has been an over-saturation of cricket between these two sides lately, not at all helped by the fact that the Test series only consists of two Tests.

Additionally, playing Sri Lanka on utterly docile tracks (which can be expected given this is Jayawardene's farewell series and simply the general nature of Sri Lankan pitches, especially the disgracefully placid SSC) will make for some genuinely mind-numbingly insipid cricket. Expect a run-fest and a few 500+ scores.

Taking all of this into consideration, I feel this series should be used to experiment with new tactics as a practice for the Australian tour to the UAE. Personally, I believe the following XI is the one which should be adopted for the first Test:

Azhar Ali - formerly an opener in Pakistan domestic cricket, he has played enough First-Class cricket as an opener to open internationally too. Personally, I believe Azhar deserves further opportunities as a Test batsman (given it would be unfair to drop him after his relatively brisk century to win the Test for us in Sharjah) but his strike-rate still remains an issue. Why not play him as a Test opener if his focal role is to remove the shine of the new-ball and wear out the opposition's pace bowler?

Ahmed Shehzad

Younis Khan

Umar Akmal - an attacking stroke-player is required at the #4 position. The jury is still out however on whether Umar can learn to play counter-attackingly yet sensibly, particularly against spin bowling. Guidance from our premier batsman in Younus Khan at #3 will help to calm his erratic personality. For me personally though, his glovework isn't reliable enough to be the Test wicket-keeper for Pakistan and besides, the strain of wicket-keeping for long periods would probably have an adverse effect upon his batting performances.

Misbah-Ul-Haq (C)

Asad Shafiq - he remains a huge dilemma of selection, but I believe he has what it takes to be a magnificent back-to-the-wall batsman in the mould of Inzamam-Ul-Haq and VVS Laxman. The belligerent 111 at Cape Town convinced me of this (not that I'm comparing him to either, mind you!).

Sarfraz Ahmed (WK)

Wahab Riaz - having him at #8 would bolster our evidently weak tail. He has enough pace to trouble a spin-proficient Sri Lankan batting line-up. Despite being a risky selection due to his inconsistency, his blistering pace would be great addition and if his deliveries are in the precise areas, he could be of great impact to remove the ever-staunch-against-Pakistan Sangakkara.

Saeed Ajmal

Mohammed Talha - similar to the inclusion of Wahab Riaz in the Test XI, apart from the batting perspective. Including Abdul Rehman in the line-up would place Pakistan in a somewhat Catch-22 situation, given the Sri Lankan wickets have a tendency to turn (that is, when they're not absolute pancakes!) but this being rather ineffectual considering the Sri Lankan batsmen are masters against spin bowling. Especially the primary nemesis of Pakistan - Sangakkara!

Junaid Khan - although struggling to swing/seam the ball noticeably, his impeccable Test record against the Sri Lankans (his 4 5-fers against them) means he is an automatic choice for selection. I really hope though that he is able to recapture his form and ability to swing the ball both ways that we witnessed during the December 2012 tour to India.

The omission of Mohammed Irfan is a really telling one, as without him our bowling attack appears mediocre and absent of those famous Pakistani traits - unpredictability, volatility and the capability to initiate a collapse against the run-of-tide!

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, given SSC has been recently relaid and the Galle groundsman seems to have found the balance between absolute bunsen and highway I think we can expect 2 results here actually, mind you both games will probably go fairly deep into day 5, might be over-saturation between these two teams but it'll definitely be good competitive cricket IMO.

You'd be crazy to omit Rehman IMO, our pacers outbowled Pakistan's last time, not particularly good signs, think Rehman bowls beautifully alongside Ajmal too.

Gowza

U19 12th Man
i hope umar can secure a spot in the test XI from this tour and hopefully shehzad can continue his test form and help sure up the pakistan batting with a bit of consistency from the young ones.

SOPL

Cricket Spectator
Well, given SSC has been recently relaid and the Galle groundsman seems to have found the balance between absolute bunsen and highway I think we can expect 2 results here actually, mind you both games will probably go fairly deep into day 5, might be over-saturation between these two teams but it'll definitely be good competitive cricket IMO.
Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks, that is slightly pleasing to hear.

However, I have to state that I personally think (with this being Jayawardene's farewell Test series and all that) a featherbed of a wicket at his home ground at the SSC will be prepared for the second Test. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised however.

You'd be crazy to omit Rehman IMO, our pacers outbowled Pakistan's last time, not particularly good signs, think Rehman bowls beautifully alongside Ajmal too.
Rehman does bowl well in tandem with Ajmal, but given Sri Lanka's potency against spin bowling and the relative ease with which Sri Lankan batsmen have played him, I believe a more effective bowler should be included.

Abdur Rehman is largely a consistent and accurate bowler, a spinner who bowls wicket-to-wicket and occasionally utilises an arm ball. Against a batting line-up as adept and proficient against spin bowlers (playing with consummate ease particularly the merely consistent/nagging sorts like the Herath's of the cricketing world), Rehman's inclusion will most likely have no impact. He rarely turns the ball copiously (perhaps only on day 5 on a significantly roughened pitch) and thus isn't going to trouble the Sri Lankan batsmen much.

His statistics against Sri Lanka is sufficient enough for my argument (16 wickets at an average of over 40 in 10 bowling innings is evident of a lack of success against Sri Lankan batsmen), an especially salient blot being the strike-rate of 102.6 he currently possesses against Sri Lankan batsmen. This is criminal, particularly considering that once well set on these sub-continental pitches, the scoring becomes considerably easier.

To beat Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka, stellar bowling performances are required. I'm not for one moment suggesting that the Pakistan pace battery is anywhere near the calibre of the South African one, but the fact South Africa attained victory in Sri Lanka with three pacers and only one full-time spinner (and not even a good one in Imran Tahir) is a point to note. Spin bowling isn't always required for success against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka.

smash84

The Tiger King
A point well made SOPL regarding bowling that Pakistan should be selecting. However our pacers suck big time. Irfan has retired from test matches and amir is yet to complete his ban. We only havr Junaid as a world class seamer but his form has been quite erratic of late. From what ever little I have seen of Talha he seems more like a work horse rather than a quick strike wicket taker. Wahab hasn't really lived up to his potential imo. He can't seem to move the ball much which makes his pace quite ineffective. Despite his ineffectiveness against SL I think AR should be played since he has the ability to hold down one end while Ajmal can remove wickets from the other end.

My predictions

Ajmal
Sangakkara
1 - 0 to SL
Sangakkara

Raffski

School Boy/Girl Captain
Reckon this will be quite a close series, very much dependent on how Pakistan go against Sri Lanka's best bats. Sangakkara's record against Pakistan is ridiculous, and Mathews has looked good lately so it's not going to be easy. I'm interested to see how Ahmed Shezad does, I've seen a fair bit of him in ODIs and T20s and I reckon he's got what it takes to be a success in tests too.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
A point well made SOPL regarding bowling that Pakistan should be selecting. However our pacers suck big time. Irfan has retired from test matches and amir is yet to complete his ban. We only havr Junaid as a world class seamer but his form has been quite erratic of late. From what ever little I have seen of Talha he seems more like a work horse rather than a quick strike wicket taker. Wahab hasn't really lived up to his potential imo. He can't seem to move the ball much which makes his pace quite ineffective. Despite his ineffectiveness against SL I think AR should be played since he has the ability to hold down one end while Ajmal can remove wickets from the other end.
Yeah, he made a good point but you really need an excellent pace attack to justify selecting only one spinner in Sri Lanka, particularly when the two spinners available are quite good, even if Rehman's record is poor against SL.

SOPL

Cricket Spectator
It's undoubtedly true that the Pakistan pace bowling battery is incredibly weak (personally, I don't believe Junaid Khan is a world-class seamer either - can't seem to swing the new ball much recently either) but that doesn't mean proactive selections can't occur.

Abdur Rehman is likely to be an automatic selection but IMO, he will be handled with ease by the might of the Sri Lankan batsmen on their home grounds. Whereas Wahab Riaz, despite his inconsistency and erratic nature, has enough pace to trouble these spin-proficient SL batsmen (particularly Sangakkara and Jayawardene) - as he made it evident in the 2013 Champions Trophy match against the West Indies - and also has the ability to reverse-swing the old cherry too.

He has a five-wicket haul on Test debut too against England in the 3rd Test of 2010, don't forget:

Abdur Rehman shouldn't be as clear a selection as he is always considered to be.

Last edited: