• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Averaging 40 against and in all countries

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Richards is way overrated in my opinion, not because I think he is a talentless hack, but his short International career is extrapolated far too long to make the cut in into all time XIs.
No-one bases their admiration for him primarily on his short Test career but what he did in other forms of the game. He played a lot of cricket.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I just checked 2 Ws record against India and it doesn't look like they were all over India like a rash.

------------------------------

Wasim's entire tests career : Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Wasim didn't play against India in test from 1990-1998. So I checked his ODI record in 1990-1998

Bowling records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

-------------

Now for Waqar: Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

He played 2 tests against Indian when he was supposed to be in his peak and still pretty ordinary performance. He didn't play India in test from 1990-1998.

His record in ODI's in 1990-1998 : Bowling records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

------------------------------

It looks both of them had worse record than their career stats in period when they played only ODIs against India. When they were exactly all over Indians? I am genuinely curious because I didn't really see all India Pakistan matches but nothing jumps out to me when looking at stats. I recon, Sehwag would have made some big scores against 2 Ws just like he did against many ATG bowlers. He was a scary prospect in SC no matter who was bowling.
Waqar's peak was in the five years between 90-94 when for five years he averaged 18 and took six wickets striking at slightly over 30 balls per wicket. 1989 were his first two games in tests and he definitely wasn't the bowler he was going to be soon after.

He had a back injury in early 1995 and from then to 2000, he was as good a bowler as say Trent Boult is right now and he fell away after 2000. So yes, he didn't play India during his peak and the difference between playing Waqar in his peak and after is far more radical than any other great pacer.

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
He had a back injury in early 1995 and from then to 2000, he was as good a bowler as say Trent Boult is right now and he fell away after 2000. So yes, he didn't play India during his peak and the difference between playing Waqar in his peak and after is far more radical than any other great pacer.
Sure, Waqar pre-injury was totally different prospect than post injury. I am aware of that but I don't see any evidence of 2 Ws being all over India as one fellow poster was claiming. I checked it in cricinfo because I didn't follow ODI between India and Pakistan in 90s. Now talking about XYZ didn't leave much for 2 Ws in 90s in ODIs seems weird to me. They bowled in many ODIs in 90s and don't have record of being all over. I always found Sehwag a scary prospect in SC and he made few big ones against other great bowlers.

It was easy to pawn him in swinging conditions. Most bowlers would have done that but Sehwag would have played 2 Ws either in Pakistan or India in a test series. It's quite likely that he would have made few big ones as he did against other greats. I some time feel that many fans underrate him when it comes to how good this fellow was in non-swinging conditions. An unique opener in history of cricket.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
If you didn't watch the tons of sharjah matches b/w Pakistan and India in the 90s then you didn't miss too much I suppose but Wasim was pretty good against them. Even in 1999 wasim bowled fantastically well when Pakistan visited India. But Pakistan was winning a lot of matches thanks to Wasim and Saqlain. I don't think Sehwag would have done too well against a peak wasim and Saqlain. That obviously is just an opinion but it is an opinion that most observers would probably agree with. It wasn't very easy to get Wasim away on his average days.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think Sehwag would have done too well against a peak wasim and Saqlain.
That's rubbish. Sehwag smashed a triple at Chennai and another hundred against in 2010 at Nagpur in the same innings Steyn ripped out 7. He's also clobbered Warne and especially Murali on several occasions. What on earth gives you the idea that he'd struggle against Wasim and Saqlain? Especially as he'd never play them outside the SC

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
If you didn't watch the tons of sharjah matches b/w Pakistan and India in the 90s then you didn't miss too much I suppose but Wasim was pretty good against them. Even in 1999 wasim bowled fantastically well when Pakistan visited India. But Pakistan was winning a lot of matches thanks to Wasim and Saqlain. I don't think Sehwag would have done too well against a peak wasim and Saqlain. That obviously is just an opinion but it is an opinion that most observers would probably agree with. It wasn't very easy to get Wasim away on his average days.
I have seen Wasim bowl enough in 90s and no one else had variety like him but I was making a different point. I wasn't arguing that Sehwag would have had upper hand or anything close to that. He had a liking for making big scores time to time. He did it against many great bowlers in SC. Now Wasim was not easy to score against but in substantial number of tests over his entire career, he had pretty ordinary performances as well. For example see below,

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

In 37 tests, he averaged higher than 40. In most tests , he did bowl plenty of overs. Many Pakistani grounds pop up where he had not so good time. Sure, Wasim would have gotten Sehwag cheaply many times but I don't see any convincing logic to say that Sehwag wouldn't have scored big runs as well time to time. It's not as if Wasim was always performing great. Sehwag did have a habit of making big and fast scores when he got going in SC tracks. That's why I said he may have scored big ones even against Wasim. In entire SC , no one scared me more than Sehwag when playing games in SC. If he got going then he used to score big ones at scary pace. Many greats had off days or whatever you want to call it in SC and Sehwag scored big ones against them. I don't think that Wasim would have been an exception.

Look, we are not talking about some one like Cook, who always went missing against quality pacers. Sehwag did score big runs against great bowlers in SC. With other batsmen, it will be difficult but with Sehwag, you just need to have one off day in a test match and dude used to be around 150-200 runs at the end of the day. I think every great bowler will have some off days and Sehwag is pretty much the best candidate to cash in quickly and make big ones among all SC batsmen. He used to score quickly against spinners as well . He was not easy to stop when got going in SC tracks. That's why I said that.

Anyway, just a speculation on my part here and not worth arguing over this hypothetical situation.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Weren't we talking about odis on the previous page? Secondly, just out of curiosity, since I didn't really follow sehwag's career too much, can you point out a few high scores against very good bowling attacks

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Weren't we talking about odis on the previous page? Secondly, just out of curiosity, since I didn't really follow sehwag's career too much, can you point out a few high scores against very good bowling attacks
He's got good runs against McGrath-Warne, Steyn, Anderson, Akhtar, Lee+Clark in 2008, Murali, etc. But all of them in the sc. His weakness isn't really against top quality bowling, his weakness us swinging /seaming conditions.

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
ODI discussion started from Sehwag being sitting ducks in imaginary situation in test.

I think he played against McGrath, Warne, Murali, Steyn when it comes to ATG bowlers. Some examples of him making big scores. I will list few 150+ scores.

155 against McGrath, Warne & Gillespie in 2004.

201 against Murali in SL in 2008 [ One of the best knock by anyone on turning tracks against great spinner, you should see this one. You will enjoy it ]

319 against Steyn and Co. in 2008

293 against Murali and Co. in 2009

165 against Steyn and Co in 2010.

Not ATG level bowlers but still very good bowlers.- 309 against Akhtar & Saqlain in 2004

He has some more big ones against Aus, SA and Pakistan but I don't think any of those matches had ATG bowlers or over all very high standard of bowlers. I am only talking about 150+ scores here. Based on what I saw, he was the most scary batsman in SC for me. Used to take game away in a session or two if you don't get him out. His career strike rate is 80+ in test with an average of around 50. I used to tune up to watch this dude after he played his knock against McGrath and Co. He was very entertaining and very different from any other batsman from SC.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone know if there is a batsman that averages 40 home and away against all comers?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Stand corrected. I was only going on averaging 40+ against all teams and in all countries. Not against specific teams at home.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Chappell only averages 36 against NZ at home, compared to over 56 home and away

Kanhai averages 37 against Pak at home.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
That's rubbish. Sehwag smashed a triple at Chennai and another hundred against in 2010 at Nagpur in the same innings Steyn ripped out 7. He's also clobbered Warne and especially Murali on several occasions. What on earth gives you the idea that he'd struggle against Wasim and Saqlain? Especially as he'd never play them outside the SC
Sehwag never dominated Murali during his absolute peak, and Murali had the upper hand over him. That is 2000-2007 period. Murali at his peak vs Sehwag at his peak would have been a moutwatring contest.

Singh Is King

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
why has this turned into talking about Sehwag haha?! Swear I have never seen a forum which goes so off topic in each thread lol !!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sehwag scored runs against McGrath and Warne. He would have scored some runs against Wasim and Waqar I imagine. He wouldn't have dominated them, but the idea he'd have had no chance against them is just crazy.