• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bhuvaneshwar Kumar the next in line after philander?

sambha

Cricket Spectator
He swings the bowl both ways with a wrist position similar to steyn.
Bowls around 130kph and is very accurate.... similar to philander.

and showed his capabilities with the bat yesterday on a green pitch.
FC batting average is also around 29.

What you guys think?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i mean, i think VP took more wickets in his first two tests than BK has in his seven or whatever

91Jmay

International Coach
Epic overreaction to what has been a fine series but nothing more so far. I like him and he clearly has real promise but Philander has blown teams away (good teams as well, not England).

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Bhuvi is not going to do well for long. Just look at how he is overused from here on. So much potential, but he'll be made to bowl a lot more than he should, till he breaks down with some serious fitness issues, then it'll be difficult for him to make a comeback since there will be another new bowler who will be hyped and ready to go through the same thing. Forget about Bhuvi, you'll only see Ishant Sharma as a regular bowler in our bowling lineup for the next 7-8 years:D.

Last edited:

Watson33

U19 12th Man
English batsmen making him look good. Wait 'till he plays a side with their tails up and firing. England's batting is all over the shop at the mo'.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shocked that experienced CW.net members were tempted to post in a thread about yet another Indian quick big upped by a fanboi after taking wickets in consecutive Tests.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He swings the bowl both ways with a wrist position similar to steyn.
Bowls around 130kph and is very accurate.... similar to philander.

and showed his capabilities with the bat yesterday on a green pitch.
FC batting average is also around 29.

What you guys think?
No.

sambha

Cricket Spectator
Bhuvi is not going to do well for long. Just look at how he is overused from here on. So much potential, but he'll be made to bowl a lot more than he should, till he breaks down with some serious fitness issues, then it'll be difficult for him to make a comeback since there will be another new bowler who will be hyped and ready to go through the same thing. Forget about Bhuvi, you'll only see Ishant Sharma as a regular bowler in our bowling lineup for the next 7-8 years:D.
He has bowled 18 overs straight in first class cricket.

even in the one dayers he has bowled first 10 in a row many times.
Maybe he knows how long he can bowl.

Ryan19

School Boy/Girl Captain
He isn't the next Philander but I think he will give Indian fans something to genuinely be happy with. I reckon he will have a good career but I doubt he gets a lot of 6 fers.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Kumar is more reliant upon swing than seam, right?

Philander tends to get it to land on the seam and move off the pitch rather than coming up with dramatic movement in the air, in the kind of McGrath-like mould. Struggling to think of an apt comparison for Bhuvi that isn't Praveen Kumar. Not dissimilar to Nuwan Kulasekara, perhaps? Maybe he could develop into something resembling a slower Tim Southee, getting the ball to move and using his variations well to outwit the batsmen, but it's obviously far too early to tell.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Is Bucky the next Philander? Maybe if he had been playing alongside a Steyn and Morkel.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Kumar is more reliant upon swing than seam, right?

Philander tends to get it to land on the seam and move off the pitch rather than coming up with dramatic movement in the air, in the kind of McGrath-like mould. Struggling to think of an apt comparison for Bhuvi that isn't Praveen Kumar. Not dissimilar to Nuwan Kulasekara, perhaps? Maybe he could develop into something resembling a slower Tim Southee, getting the ball to move and using his variations well to outwit the batsmen, but it's obviously far too early to tell.
Indeed, I'm interested to see what happens in Australia, England seems to suit his swing, and he's good at nipping out early wickets at home, but we'll see if he can get the ball swinging enough to trouble the batsmen in places like Australia, NZ and SA before we can really begin to see where he is at