• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official 'Is Mahela Better than Aravinda' Thread

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Keep it out of the retirement thread, ****s.

FTR I'm #TeamAravinda but cbf with stats and ex-player quotes.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Keep it out of the retirement thread, ****s.

FTR I'm #TeamAravinda but cbf with stats and ex-player quotes.
I am also in Team Aravinda and explained myself in a long post about a month ago. He was the forerunner and had to break ground and made it easier for those who followed him.

viriya

International Captain
It depends on what you value.. style or substance.. not that Mahela wasn't great to watch either though.
Aravinda was SL's first truly great batsman, which will always make people pick him over others.
I think Mahela was clearly the better Test batsman, and Aravinda was clearly the better ODI batsman.
Angelo has taken the mantle of being SL's best player of fast bowling from Aravinda/Sanga I think.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Aravinda did not have formal coaching and this has to be taken in to account. When he grew as a batsman, his average got better. In 90s he averages 46+, and only few batsmen average more than him. But I can assure none of them brought the "god fear" in to fast bowlers at bowling short at a batsman. If Aravinda was in a better team, as well as had more home matches nor for civil unrest, would have averaged 50+ and would have been giving SRT and Lara a run for their money in the 90s.

There are two instances I remember for his genius. First was pulling Brett Schultz through straight mid wicket. Schultz did make look Donald pedestrian at his peak. Second the first time he face Akthar, who was fresh from demolishing India. The first ball was a rising short of a length ball and Aravinda got in to position on to the back foot and played it as if in slow motion. He has better innings, but this were the instances where he absolutely demoralized fast bowlers with one stroke.

viriya

International Captain
As much as I like Aravinda people mythologize him as a Test batsman too much. He really was a true great in ODIs, but in Tests he has an average of 36 away from home (considering his skill in handling fast bowling a surprise) - lower than Mahela's 42.
Mahela has been around longer, has won more matches for SL and has a better record in Tests.
If we're combining Tests and ODIs I can understand people picking Aravinda over him, but for Tests only it's a no brainer.
ODIs is a different matter - Mahela underperformed his whole career - imo he should've opened and played care-free from the start. He always managed to come up big when it mattered though.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Too close to call overall. In the sub-continent, Mahela, and in seaming conditions outside Asia, Aravinda.

smash84

The Tiger King
Aravinda was probably more inconsistent at the test level but with the exception of Sangakkara I haven't seen a better batsman from Sri Lanka. It is not just a question of nostalgia but the fact that he faced much better quality of attacks and he could take the attack to them. Having seen both of them bat I would definitely pick Aravinda ahead of jayawardena in the pantheon of SL batting greats. Aravinda also had the disadvantage of playing a lot of his matches when SL were proper minnows

akilana

International 12th Man
As much as I like Aravinda people mythologize him as a Test batsman too much. He really was a true great in ODIs, but in Tests he has an average of 36 away from home (considering his skill in handling fast bowling a surprise) - lower than Mahela's 42.
Mahela has been around longer, has won more matches for SL and has a better record in Tests.
If we're combining Tests and ODIs I can understand people picking Aravinda over him, but for Tests only it's a no brainer.
ODIs is a different matter - Mahela underperformed his whole career - imo he should've opened and played care-free from the start. He always managed to come up big when it mattered though.
ya but you just rely on statsguru and never bothered to watch them bat.