• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mahela Jayawardene retires from tests

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hope he stays around the SL set-up or goes into coaching. He seems to be a very intelligent, level-headed customer who knows what he's talking about. A coaching, administrative of commentary duo of him and Sanga could be a force to be reckoned with off the pitch, just as much as when they were batting together.
**** I'd love that. Could be the next Bill & Tony, except without the niggling agro.

viriya

International Captain
Surely he and Sangakkara must be close to holding the record for the most runs made over a career in partnership by two batsmen? One of the greats at batting in strong partnerships, and one of the greats of big innings.
Yes - combining all three forms:
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283510.html

Mahela for me was SL's 2nd greatest Test batsman ever after Sanga. Our first 50+ average batsman - a true trailblazer.

Just hope Sanga doesn't get any ideas from this and still hangs around till he's 40..

:cry:

viriya

International Captain
Assuming he bats 8 more times (2 tests vs SA and 2 tests vs Pak), he needs to average 38 to retire with an overall average of 50+. Since he likely won't have to bat twice in each test and he averages 61 at home, it's likely that he's safe.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Great bloke, gorgeous to watch in full flight. Definitely belongs in tier 2 of his generation though, I can't get away from the fact that approximately 9,000 of his 10,000 runs were scored at the SSC.

A definite shout for the number 4 spot in Furball's Greatest 2nd XI.

indiaholic

International Captain
My favourite Sri Lankan captain! And also loved watching him bat more than Sanga.. Such a gorgeous player.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fine player and also seems a terrific fella. He'll be missed. Also loved watching him play.

His gesture in playing on in the 07 WC final so as not to ruin he moment for the opposition despite it being pitch black was one of the more under rated gentlemanly decisions in cricket.

Well played, Jaya.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Best bit about him was that he did not cop **** from the opposition but wasn't grouchy 24/7. Was cool and calm but when ****s like Maxwell or Cook got out of line he let them know.

viriya

International Captain
No one wants to talk about Mahela the slip catcher?
He needs to get 3 catches to become the third fielder with 200 catches.. if his career average holds he will get 5-6 catches in the next 4 games.. Dravid will probably hold on to the top spot with 210 but Mahela's 0.751 catches/inn rate is much higher:
Records | Test matches | Fielding records | Most catches in career | ESPN Cricinfo

He already has the most catches in a pure fielder-bowler combination (with Murali) with 77.. next on that list is Kumble-Dravid with 55 so that record will probably last a while if not forever.
Records | Test matches | Bowling records | Bowler/fielder combinations | ESPN Cricinfo

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Best bit about him was that he did not cop **** from the opposition but wasn't grouchy 24/7. Was cool and calm but when ****s like Maxwell or Cook got out of line he let them know.
Jono the Human Stick Insect loves upping the macho talk stakes.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I've actually gotten fat since you last saw me, and the Nutella crepes in Paris aren't helping