• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Senanayake banned

Teja.

Global Moderator
Hopefully the positive we get out of this is more faith in the current testing and less calling out of people who have actually undergone testing and were cleared.

91Jmay

International Coach
Hopefully the positive we get out of this is more faith in the current testing and less calling out of people who have actually undergone testing and were cleared.
Yeah, agreed. Also hope this puts pay to the idea that voluntary getting yourself tested (thats a weird sentence to write on a cricket forum) doesn't mean very much. So much less scrutiny obviously compared to an official one.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Gee - all four delivery types exceeded the limit, interesting given the SL camp reckoned his action hadn't changed since he was cleared in 2011 - clearly not.

Big dent to our ODI plans going forward, particularly with the WC in mind, he's been our best LO spinner for the last year by some distance, good to see that testing works though

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, agreed. Also hope this puts pay to the idea that voluntary getting yourself tested (thats a weird sentence to write on a cricket forum) doesn't mean very much. So much less scrutiny obviously compared to an official one.
He was tested after complaints by umpires though, and why would it not mean much? The tests are the same are they not?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow, was not expecting that at all.. does this mean his career is over?
Nah, he'll do some remedial work and will get re-tested again and will probably be back in the side within a year, might not have all his variations and might not be as effective though

91Jmay

International Coach
He was tested after complaints by umpires though, and why would it not mean much? The tests are the same are they not?
We were regularly told that he was tested voluntarily numerous times though and had passed? How is that the case if his action hasn't changed?

viriya

International Captain
Nah, he'll do some remedial work and will get re-tested again and will probably be back in the side within a year, might not have all his variations and might not be as effective though
Any precedent to that? Can't recall anyone having all their deliveries deemed illegal..

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
We were regularly told that he was tested voluntarily numerous times though and had passed? How is that the case if his action hasn't changed?
To my knowledge he was tested once in 2011 after complaints by umpires during an 'A' tour of England, he went back and did some remedial work and then got himself tested in Perth at the request of SLC (before he played any international cricket), I assume his action has simply deteriorated over that time. Certainly plausible - same thing presumably happened to Shillingford

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Any precedent to that? Can't recall anyone having all their deliveries deemed illegal..
No but he's been cleared before in testing and had everybody at SLC convinced that his action hadn't changed so I don't see why it's impossible - not that I can think of an example of someone else who's done it though tbh

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He has been cleared before, and it was always a joke. Not sure why people won't be calling out filthy actions now, if they are indeed filthy actions.

viriya

International Captain
Well SL will just have to make Herath the #1 choice spinner in ODIs which is a pretty safe and obvious decision..

grecian

Okay why are you sighing, you slagged me off before for saying he had a filthy action after he'd been cleared, I said it proved that the testing isn't good enough.

Again he shouldn't be playing International cricket, 4 out of 5 of his balls are illegal. Murali was a contentious issue, but there were always good reasons to pass him. Yet Lankan supporters are now just supporting blatant chuckers. It doesn't help past arguments or future ones.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm sighing because I think it's highly erroneous to claim that the test that clears him is wrong and the one that bans him is right, they were both correct

grecian

I'm sighing because I think it's highly erroneous to claim that the test that clears him is wrong and the one that bans him is right, they were both correct
Nah, in the end the first one was incomplete, it gave us a bloke who isn't an International cricketer unless he's chucking it. So it was either very wrong or e toned it down for the testing. Either way it's rubbish. The guy can't "bowl" he just can't.