• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Senanayake banned

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I actually think his action looked pretty good. This is obviously a conspiracy against Sri Lanka.

watson

Banned
I think the thing that annoys me most about this whole chucking thing is that there are so many ill informed clueless people that have such strong opinions on it.

Ban the Doosra........FMD.
To be fair I did say ' IF the Doosra was banned.....' NOT 'Ban the Doosra'.

IMO there seems to be a consistent link between the Doosra and the problem of chucking during the last decade - and Senanayake is yet another reinforcement of that fact. Therefore, the obvious thing to do is for coaches to teach spinners how to bowl the Doosra properly so that the spinner stays out of the spotlight and in the game. I don't recall any question marks regarding Saqlain's action so perhaps his action can be used as the role model.

In other words, fix the Doosra and you more or less fix the problem of chucking - real or perceived.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes, and wasn't it nice.

Up until the Doosra came along we had real off-spinners bowling real off-spin, and taking wickets with their usual skill and guile. Tayfield, Laker, Prasanna, and Gibbs didn't need a dodgy delivery because they were actually very good at what they did. In fact, if the Doosra was banned then 95% of the chucking problem would go away.
Better yet -- lets ban cricket. 100% of the chucking problem would go away.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Senanayake doesn't even bowl a doosra - he bowls a 'doosra' (carrom ball) from what I've seen, and what's more all his variations were banned - but I'm sure banning or 'fixing' the doosra will fix his chucking problem.

watson

Banned
Senanayake doesn't even bowl a doosra - he bowls a 'doosra' (carrom ball) from what I've seen, and what's more all his variations were banned - but I'm sure banning or 'fixing' the doosra will fix his chucking problem.
Senanayake will bowl each of his variations, including the doosra, during the tests as he aims to prove his elbow does not flex beyond the permitted 15 degrees. His bowling action in the lab will be compared with footage of his deliveries from recent matches, to ensure he reproduces the action he uses in international cricket. Senanayake was Sri Lanka's leading wicket-taker in the recently-concluded series, taking nine wickets at 15.11.
Sri Lanka Cricket News: Sachithra Senanayake's action to be tested in Cardiff | ESPN Cricinfo

watson

Banned
No but I think they are just mis-using the term 'doosra', I've watched him bowl on numerous occasions over the past year and have never seen him bowl a genuine doosra
Well if that's the case then Senanayake's got no excuses because Ajantha Mendis bowls a beautiful Carrom Ball with no issues.

However, I'm pretty sure that he uses both the Doosra and the Carrom Ball.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
btw is the testing standardized? Wasn't this testing done in the UK and all earlier testings done in Australia? Could that have been a major difference?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's be honest, Senanayake has a filthy action and if the rigorous testing confirms what the naked eye so clearly suggests, namely that he's an obvious chucker, then banned he must be and we should all be prepared to welcome that.

On a personal level you can't help but have sympathy for the man who will now have difficulty in pursuing his chosen career. It always surprises me that bowlers like him are allowed to get this far without someone eliminating this risk somewhere along the line. Someone should have fixed Senanayake's throwing well before he reached international level and the age at which taking effective remedial action is difficult.

And before anyone accuses me of racism everything I've said goes equally for James Kirtley of my beloved Sussex.

Interesting James Kirtley fact: Curtley Ambrose was named after JK's grandfather.

Last edited:

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Just in: Senanayake banned from bowling in international cricket after testing finds his action to be illegal

https://twitter.com/ESPNcricinfo/status/487960664867356672

Credit to the umpires, a big call but the right one. Hardly a surprise to anyone who has watched the bloke and puts pay to some rather embarrassing conspiracy theory type thinking.
Very interesting. His action is nowhere near as bad as some of the others who have chucked before him.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
btw is the testing standardized? Wasn't this testing done in the UK and all earlier testings done in Australia? Could that have been a major difference?
As Kerry O'Keefe quipped, "Boy George would be considered straight at the University of Western Australia"

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Nah don't worry about it, in the end as I keep on saying if people defend this guys action we're through the looking glass, and it pretty much shows that any persons action will be defended now. He's much, much, much worse than Murali, Ajmal and all the ones that have passed these tests before. Again the first test was lousy the second test just seems to have got it right, but because of the first test I still have no faith in the testing.

Not sure what's illogical about that.
I think he's action is pretty good actually. Nowhere near as bad as the others.