• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harris & Johnson

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
How much longer can Harris' body and Johnson's form hold out?

Harris is a great bowler in his own right and the bowler that Johnson has always needed at the other end, allowing Johnson to do his thing. Harris takes wickets and maintains pressure.

Is there another 2-3 years at this standard for these two? And if there is, does their legacy stack up with pace pairings like Lindwall/Miller, Lillee/Thommo and McGrath/Gillespie?

I love Harris. Favourite bowler to watch in world cricket at the moment, along with MJ.

jan

State Vice-Captain
There are not another 2-3 years at this standard for these two imo. Sadly.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
If Harris had of had a full career I really think he could have been an ATG. As for Johnson he is such an enigma it is hard to know what he'll deliver going forward and for how long, at nearly 33 you'd think he is approaching the end of an express pace career. But he is so lean and incredibly fit and also he is really only at the start of his second coming...........he's probably hungrier and fresher than most fast bowlers at this age. He might surprise us how long he plays for, could do another 5 years I reckon if he wants it.

I think Australia will always rue the shortness of Harris career and the wasted years of Mitch.........a good 6 or 7 years of both consistently at their best would have had them comfortably up there with the greatest ever.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Harris had of had a full career I really think he could have been an ATG. As for Johnson he is such an enigma it is hard to know what he'll deliver going forward and for how long, at nearly 33 you'd think he is approaching the end of an express pace career. But he is so lean and incredibly fit and also he is really only at the start of his second coming...........he's probably hungrier and fresher than most fast bowlers at this age. He might surprise us how long he plays for, could do another 5 years I reckon if he wants it.

I think Australia will always rue the shortness of Harris career and the wasted years of Mitch.........a good 6 or 7 years of both consistently at their best would have had them comfortably up there with the greatest ever.
Look up some of T_C's posts on Harris as he knows more about him than most

To paraphrase, he wasn't that good for much of his career

Johnson is different - one of the world's great talents who has been hampered by temperament until recently

Gowza

U19 12th Man
harris will probably play a total of 3 test matches in that time and johnson will retire due to lack of form. in all seriousness though with harris turning 35 this year and already having such trouble staying on the park it's going to all be about the hunger for him and keeping his body in check as best he can, he hasn't had a long test career so the hunger could still be there for another couple of years, that's if the demolition of his body doesn't destroy it first. johnson being so fit i think he can keep the express pace for a couple of years, can he keep the form? i wouldn't expect it but maybe he's hit a maturity point where he will now.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Look up some of T_C's posts on Harris as he knows more about him than most

To paraphrase, he wasn't that good for much of his career
By career are you talking about 1st class before he played tests? I don't claim to know that much about him and would certainly defer to those that do, but from what I remember he hit the ground running as a test bowler and has been exceptional for his entire test career.

Gowza

U19 12th Man
yeah harris certainly stepped it up a level at first sight of test cricket, earlier on he wasn't as good as he became once he had entered test cricket.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
By career are you talking about 1st class before he played tests? I don't claim to know that much about him and would certainly defer to those that do, but from what I remember he hit the ground running as a test bowler and has been exceptional for his entire test career.
Couldn't even crack the South Australian side before like 2007.

Slifer

International Captain
I hope they both keep it together for a few years yet. I particularly enjoy seeing quality fast bowlers asking questions of modern batsmen who have enjoyed themselves post 2000.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Johnson is physically durable enough to go on for quite a while, barring some unforeseen major injury. Whether he's able to actually maintain the level he showed in the Ashes at home though, who can say? Harris, sadly, is on borrowed time with his chronic knee issues.

Harris was a one man army in the away Ashes series last year. Superb bowling performance in a beaten side.

Riggins

International Captain
Yeah he always seemed to have a recurring hamstring injury at the worst times. Every time he'd be bowling well and someone else might go down opening up a spot, he'd go down too.