• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Some Australian and South African bowlers are real nutcases

jpatel1508

Cricket Spectator
Have you guys noticed, especially against India, some of the Australian and South African bowlers play very unsporting like. I've seen this in many instances. I forgot the name of this South African bowler that was trying to hit Ganguly when he was getting hit all over the ground. Symonds, Williams, and Bracken are the other Australian bowlers that have done stuff like it.

For instance, did you see Williams gloating in front of Ganguly when he went out. Umpire or Ponting should have said something that Williams then but didn't. This is not the kind of behaviour that Cricket needs. It's probably the most gentlemenistic (new word I think) sport in the world. Bowlers should accept and get on with it when the batsmen hit them for 4's and 6's.

Andre

International Regular
And if you think this problem is exclusive to Australia and South Africa, your are as nuts as they are :rolleyes:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Plenty of bowlers seem simply unable to take the fact that Ganguly is a brilliant international batsman.
It just doesn't seem to be possible to sink-in.
Therefore they seem to take great insult at him smashing them all over the park. I, and doubtless many others, now hope Ganguly absolutely tears Williams to shreds next time he faces him, without getting out.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I dont know why people get all thingy about this kind of thing. If a player cant take it, thats their problem.

Of course when it gets racial and whatnot, then thats fine, it should be dealth with. However most of the time its something that happens on the ground and stays on the ground, I really do think some people should lighten up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
All right, brilliant in ODIs, good in Tests.
But certainly the way most media talk, they seem unable to accept he is even up-to-standard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Linda said:
I dont know why people get all thingy about this kind of thing. If a player cant take it, thats their problem.

Of course when it gets racial and whatnot, then thats fine, it should be dealth with. However most of the time its something that happens on the ground and stays on the ground, I really do think some people should lighten up.
I still like to see bowlers sledging and being hammered all over the park by the bowler they're trying to sledge out.
Like Graeme and Sarwan did to the Australians.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Re: Re: Some Australian and South African bowlers are real nutcases

iamdavid said:
Roger Telemachus
I think he meant Andre Nel as i don't think Roger played during India's last tour to Sa and Ganguly scored 2 centuries in that series.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Plenty of bowlers seem simply unable to take the fact that Ganguly is a brilliant international batsman.
It just doesn't seem to be possible to sink-in.
Therefore they seem to take great insult at him smashing them all over the park. I, and doubtless many others, now hope Ganguly absolutely tears Williams to shreds next time he faces him, without getting out.
Agreed.

Bowlers like Williams and Lee make real fools of themselves when they get carted around the park by batsman and take the wicket of some hapless tail-ender and celebrate like they worked really hard to get the wicket, its a joke.

I personally see nothing wrong with a bowler pointing a batsman to the pavillion, but this stuff that Williams and Nel do, and get in the face of the batsman is not something I like. I'd also like to see batsman do the 'chainsaw' after hitting boundaries.

The best get back of all time is Ganguly waving his shirt when India beat England in the Natwest in 2002. It was payback for Flintoff's antics when India lost the OD series to England in India.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
The only English bowler I know who will give the batsman an earfull is Flintoff, and that's when he really gets wound up. Aside from the fact that half the time they have no reason to be annoyed, Kirtley, Harmison, Hoggard, Caddick and Anderson are all quiet types. You will rarely see Caddick, Hoggard or Anderson talk when they are in a bowling spell. Harmison tried giving Graeme Smith an earfull, then engaged him in a bouncer war, and got murdered all around the park. He was quiet from the beginning, and since that episode I haven't seen a peep out of him. Giles is quiet as well, quite simply because he's about as scary as someone trying to kill you with a piece of fresh fruit (sorry nicked that off Monty Python :D)

iamdavid

International Debutant
Im not sure if its the incident he was refering to , but Telemachus received a hefty fine earlier in his carear for barging into Rahul Dravid & Sourav Ganguly in a ODI while they were taking him to the cleaners.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Rik said:
The only English bowler I know who will give the batsman an earfull is Flintoff, and that's when he really gets wound up.
Flintoff Vs Ganguly is always fun to watch :D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Compared to Aussie comedy?

*Recalls the mountains of Aussie "comedy" Children's TV shows, especially Round the Twist.

How did that get a second series, never mind six or whatever..

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Neil Pickup said:
Compared to Aussie comedy?

*Recalls the mountains of Aussie "comedy" Children's TV shows, especially Round the Twist.

How did that get a second series, never mind six or whatever..
Having researched this further...

Aussie Kids TV exports to the UK:

Escape from Jupiter (1994)
Return to Jupiter (1996)
Blinky Bill
Chuck Finn (1999)
Heartbreak High
Halfway across the galaxy and turn left
Johnson and Friends (1990) - was brilliant for a 4 year old :)

"Children's pre school series about a group of toys living in a young boys bedroom, the boy was called Michael and the toys were Johnson the elephant, McDuff the Concertina, Robot Squeaky and dump truck Diesel"

Skippy the Bush Kangaroo
Ocean Girl (1994-2000) - 104 episodes (!!)
Pig's breakfast (1998)
See how they run (1999) - was reasonable - so only got one series. Was UK/Aus.
Ship to Shore (1993)
The Wayne Manifesto (1996)
The worst day of my life (1991/2)

... and one about a Chip Shop, which I can't remember. Help us out here?