• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Some Australian and South African bowlers are real nutcases

agodleman

Cricket Spectator
Mister Wright said:
Agreed.

Bowlers like Williams and Lee make real fools of themselves when they get carted around the park by batsman and take the wicket of some hapless tail-ender and celebrate like they worked really hard to get the wicket, its a joke.

I personally see nothing wrong with a bowler pointing a batsman to the pavillion, but this stuff that Williams and Nel do, and get in the face of the batsman is not something I like. I'd also like to see batsman do the 'chainsaw' after hitting boundaries.

I agree about Lee in particular. I think it's good to see the bowlers a bit fired up, it can make it more interesting and ad to the atmosphere, especially in ODIs. The whole chainsaw thing is okay, but only if the wicket is worth celebrating. If a bowler get in the face of the batsman I don't mind much either, it keeps everything interesting, but only if it doesn't get personal. I do disagree aboutWilliams. He has been playing well recently, especially in the field. I think he is a quality player and isn't all hype like Lee. The only reason Lee is in the team is because some teams he has played against in the past have been beaten by his speed. Williams doesn't rely on speed to do well so is more likely to have a longer career.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
There is nothing wrong with what Williams did, because there is nothing wrong in amusing me on the field :D I had a good laugh at the idiot's celebration, he really does look stupid. Not to mention Lee's celebrations when he bowls out a tailender after being hit for 200 runs, ahhh you idiot.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Could the show about the schip show have been called Misery Guts?

And regarding Halfway Across the Galaxy and Turn left, it seems far too complciated for a four year old. I watched it when I was about 10....

Craig

World Traveller
Nel's celebration when he got Gayle out at J'burg and Williams celebration, they would of played the next Test if they played under Don Bradman. Actually same applies to Glenn McGrath. Only a few Tests he would of played.

anzac

International Debutant
raju said:
Nantie 'wayward' Hayward is one of the most aggressive I have ever seen. But can sulk which is to the detriment of the team.

yes but the story I heard was that the reason he is SOO aggressive is that he actually HATES the English with a passion, and sometimes on the pitch he has trouble containing himself as he gets so worked up.........

not quite sure how he feels about us Colonials but dare say we don't rate much higher.......

something to do with his grandmother's family being interned & then dying from the cholera epidemic during the Boer War..........

anzac

International Debutant
so far nothing these days actually poses a threat to your life (all things being equal)..........

in yesteryear there was a WI quick who was known to be very erratic so far as his temperament was concerned..........had been known on occaision to get so worked up v the batsmen that he would take an extra stride or 2 down the wicket beyond the front mark b4 releasing the ball - and it was either going to be short or a beamer!!!!!

I can't remember his name but the name Gilbert Weeks keeps running thru my head - ring any bells for anyone???????

:O

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Prince EWS said:
Could the show about the schip show have been called Misery Guts?

And regarding Halfway Across the Galaxy and Turn left, it seems far too complciated for a four year old. I watched it when I was about 10....
Yep, that would be it. :)

Anzac - Roy Gilchrist?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I immidiately thought Gilchrist when I read anzac's description.
One of the worst for deliberate use of the Beamer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
raju said:
Nantie 'wayward' Hayward is one of the most aggressive I have ever seen. But can sulk which is to the detriment of the team.

Steve Kirby is great entertainment value. Sledging from fine leg must be unique to him. But full marks for his effort he puts into the game.
Mornantau Hayward definately has gone over the top at times.
Not quite as bad as Lee and Williams though, and definately worse than Nel.
Kirby is just a supersillious aggressor, far too often. Until he learns to control it he won't be playing Test-matches and quite rightly.

anzac

International Debutant
Richard said:
I immidiately thought Gilchrist when I read anzac's description.
One of the worst for deliberate use of the Beamer.

that would be the one..........god knows why I have Weeks stuck on the brain - must be something subliminal from falling asleep infront of the cricket on the box..............:D

Andre

International Regular
jamesryfler said:
yes, well Mr Maddocks the point is that when an Australian bowler indulges in those sorts of antics...he invariably gets off scot free.

Now if Shoiab Akhtar or Saurav Ganguly did what Mcgrath did to Sarwan, all hell would have broken loose.

Shoaib gets banned for verbal abuse....fine, but why doesn't the same standard apply to Glenn Mcgrath or Andre Nel ?

You want to have rules in place -- apply them fairly otherwise don't bother with them at all.
To me, that statement is a massive generalisation - rules are in place for all, it's up to a match reefree what decision will be made.

I've seen Australians suspended before, infact, Glenn McGrath was suspended just 2 years ago for a verbal.

Woops :rolleyes:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My point is not that I think the rule-makers say "Australians are allowed to get away with what others wouldn't because that's the way they play" - it is that Referees often think that way.
Trouble is, an encouragement not to would almost inevitably lead to over-crackdown on Australians.
But if you ask me it's not a generalisation - it's something that can be substantiated if you go through all roughly equal cases.