• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best bowler ever to average over 30 in Test cricket?

Who is the best bowler ever to average over 30 in Test cricket?

• Danish Kaneria (:ph34r:)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matthew Hoggard

• Javagal Srinath

• Chris Martin

• Sarfraz Nawaz

• Monty Panesar

• Fidel Edwards

• Umar Gul

• Vinoo Mankad

• Danny Morrison

• Srinivas Venkataraghavan

• Fred Titmus

• Ravi Shastri

• John Emburey

• Ashley Giles

• Tony Greig

• Phil DeFreitas

• Alf Valentine

• Paul Adams

• Mervyn Dillon

• Lance Cairns

• Devon Malcolm

• Bruce Yardley

• Phil Edmonds

• Intikhab Alam

• Ewen Chatfield

• Andre Nel

• David Allen

• Ray Illingworth

• Shakib Al Hasan

• Phil Tufnell

• Dilip Doshi

• Carl Hooper

• Pragyan Ojha

• Nathan Lyon

• Karsan Ghavri

• Vanburn Holder

• Doug Wright

• Pedro Collins

• Paul Harris

• John Bracewell

• Shivlal Yadav

• Lasith Malinga

• Abdul Razzaq

• Nicky Boje

• Dilhara Fernando

• Mohammad Rafique

• Dick Motz

• Irfan Pathan

• Arthur Mailey

• Sanath Jayasuriya

• Manoj Prabhakar

• Venkatesh Prasad

• Corey Collymore

• Jack Gleeson

• Chris Lewis

• Patrick Patterson

• Venkatapathy Raju

• Tauseef Ahmed

• Jerome Taylor

• Kenny Benjamin

• Steve Waugh

• Neil Foster

• Warwick Armstrong

• Shanthakumaran Sreesanth (:ph34r:)

• Dwayne Bravo

• Hedley Howarth

• Jack Gregory

• Daren Powell

• John Reid

• Pramodya Wickramasinghe

• Darren Sami

• Cyril Vincent

• Frank Woolley

• Lance Klusener

• Ray Price

• Mashrafe Mortaza

• Daryl Tuffey

• Salim Durani

• Total voters

watson

Banned
I'm not. If he was off his pace he little left to keep batsmen quiet let alone take their wicket.
Brett Lee didn't 'keep batsman quiet' as much other top class quicks. However, in the process of carting Lee's bowling around the park they also tended to get out.

His Strike Rate of 53.4 puts him on a par with Imran Khan, and marginally ahead of Wes Hall, Andy Roberts, Curtly Ambrose, and Wasim Akram.

adub

International Captain
No way, I am really surprised that Lee has such a high average.
His average is actually pretty flattering. Apart from beating up on the Windies, SL and NZ in 22 of his 76 tests his record was very sparse. He didn't average under his career average against any side other than those three. Against everyone else his record blows out to 36.95 average and sr of 62.3. Super ODI bowler, but was rarely much of a threat at test level and almost never against really good test sides.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
His average is actually pretty flattering. Apart from beating up on the Windies, SL and NZ in 22 of his 76 tests his record was very sparse. He didn't average under his career average against any side other than those three. Against everyone else his record blows out to 36.95 average and sr of 62.3. Super ODI bowler, but was rarely much of a threat at test level and almost never against really good test sides.
Since when have WI, SL, and NZ become teams you "beat up on"?

watson

Banned
Admittedly, an Average of 37 against the top teams is not fabulous. However, a Strike Rate of 62 is relatively good, and I can't imagine that many bowlers doing a lot better against quality opposition. For example, a quick check of Curtly Ambrose's career showed that he bowled 478 overs against Pakistan during the 90s and came away with a Strike Rate of 68. Wasim Akram had a Strike Rate of 70 against England after 4 series.....etc...etc.

In short, I think that we're being overly picky here.

adub

International Captain
Since when have WI, SL, and NZ become teams you "beat up on"?
The last time WI were not a team Australia beat up on was in the 99 squared series in the Carribean. (prior to Lee's debut)
The last time NZ were not a team Australia beat up on when Richard Hadlee opened the bowling (a long long time prior to Lee's)
The last time SL were not a team Australia beat up on in Australia (Lee never played a test in SL) = this has never happened

For all of Lee's test career Australia were the clear No.1 in the world. For the vast majority of that time WI, SL and NZ would have been battling out for 6th, 7th, & 8th in the rankings. Against those three teams from the time Lee debuted until he played his last test Australia played 35 tests for 28 wins, 6 draws and 1 loss which is about as dominant as test cricket gets. Even the solitary win for the Windies, superb as the world record chase was, came in a dead rubber at the end of a series where Australia had only lost 29 wickets in getting to 3-0 up and about the only time WI looked like being competitive in the series was when Shiv and Sarwan came together at 4/165 in the 4th dig. We beat up on those teams in that time probably more than any top 8 test sides have ever been beaten up on.

A big part of the reason we beat up on them was that apart from a few notable exceptions like Lara and Shiv those sides didn't have batsmen that could cope with genuine quick bowling. Lee dined out on that with them taking 16 of his 27 4w hauls against them (no surprises that 5 of his others were against India in Australia). But against teams that had batsmen that took a bit more than just pace to dislodge Lee was usually scored against pretty heavily and rarely made a great impact. I can't see how Lee would be close to being the best bowler with a +30 ave.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Lee was pretty crucial against NZ when they toured near his debut and drew three games. Warne and McGrath weren't having much luck.

But yeah there is definitely a case for Lee looking better than he is.

adub

International Captain
Admittedly, an Average of 37 against the top teams is not fabulous. However, a Strike Rate of 62 is relatively good, and I can't imagine that many bowlers doing a lot better against quality opposition. For example, a quick check of Curtly Ambrose's career showed that he bowled 478 overs against Pakistan during the 90s and came away with a Strike Rate of 68. Wasim Akram had a Strike Rate of 70 against England after 4 series.....etc...etc.

In short, I think that we're being overly picky here.
I'm certainly not saying Lee was complete rubbish, just that there are probably lots of better picks than him in this particular question. His pace and possibly also his undoubted quality in ODI's perhaps raising his status as a test bowler a fair bit above what his actual test bowling deserved.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm certainly not saying Lee was complete rubbish, just that there are probably lots of better picks than him in this particular question. His pace and possibly also his undoubted quality in ODI's perhaps raising his status as a test bowler a fair bit above what his actual test bowling deserved.
I agree there are better options for this poll than Lee, but the point was that Flintoff is NOT one of them but has the same number of votes.

I would put Prasanna, Jack Gregory, Qadir, Umar Gul, and Amar Singh ahead of him, and Broad, Anderson, Patterson, Foster and Harbhajan as his equals or thereabout.

watson

Banned
Yeah, fair enough with regards to the question in the OP.

However, as far as 'status' is concerned, I don't think that the general concensus has raised Lee above his station. That is, most would rate him as a 'good fast bowler' who played a 'good supporting role' to the brilliance of McGrath and Warne. I don't know of anyone who places him close to the ATG category.

But of course, the word 'good' is loaded with subjective meaning and therefore can be interpreted in a number of different ways.