• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best bowler ever to average over 30 in Test cricket?

Who is the best bowler ever to average over 30 in Test cricket?

• Danish Kaneria (:ph34r:)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matthew Hoggard

• Javagal Srinath

• Chris Martin

• Sarfraz Nawaz

• Monty Panesar

• Fidel Edwards

• Umar Gul

• Vinoo Mankad

• Danny Morrison

• Srinivas Venkataraghavan

• Fred Titmus

• Ravi Shastri

• John Emburey

• Ashley Giles

• Tony Greig

• Phil DeFreitas

• Alf Valentine

• Paul Adams

• Mervyn Dillon

• Lance Cairns

• Devon Malcolm

• Bruce Yardley

• Phil Edmonds

• Intikhab Alam

• Ewen Chatfield

• Andre Nel

• David Allen

• Ray Illingworth

• Shakib Al Hasan

• Phil Tufnell

• Dilip Doshi

• Carl Hooper

• Pragyan Ojha

• Nathan Lyon

• Karsan Ghavri

• Vanburn Holder

• Doug Wright

• Pedro Collins

• Paul Harris

• John Bracewell

• Shivlal Yadav

• Lasith Malinga

• Abdul Razzaq

• Nicky Boje

• Dilhara Fernando

• Mohammad Rafique

• Dick Motz

• Irfan Pathan

• Arthur Mailey

• Sanath Jayasuriya

• Manoj Prabhakar

• Venkatesh Prasad

• Corey Collymore

• Jack Gleeson

• Chris Lewis

• Patrick Patterson

• Venkatapathy Raju

• Tauseef Ahmed

• Jerome Taylor

• Kenny Benjamin

• Steve Waugh

• Neil Foster

• Warwick Armstrong

• Shanthakumaran Sreesanth (:ph34r:)

• Dwayne Bravo

• Hedley Howarth

• Jack Gregory

• Daren Powell

• John Reid

• Pramodya Wickramasinghe

• Darren Sami

• Cyril Vincent

• Frank Woolley

• Lance Klusener

• Ray Price

• Mashrafe Mortaza

• Daryl Tuffey

• Salim Durani

• Total voters

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I loved Qadir at the time, and TBH the fact he did get umpires assistance, probably makes up a little for the fact that he played in the worse time for spinners ever. That time after uncovered, but before umpires started given LBWs for pretending to play a shot. Hence why Kumble has more. He probably would have had even more nowadays with DRS meaning the umpires give even more, and the way he bowled was pretty conducive for that.

Yet watching Abdul on youtube and I'm really surprised at his lack of accuracy, one feels his high average was because he was fairly easy to take apart at times.

smash84

The Tiger King
I agree with you regarding his lbws. However being easy to take apart he wasn't as accurate as a top class spinner should be.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kumble got more lbws because he was just that kind of bowler. Lbws were his bread and butter becausehhe relied on inconsistent bounce and straight bowling to get wickets. He hardly spun the ball for it to be missing the stumps.

watson

Banned
I loved Qadir at the time, and TBH the fact he did get umpires assistance, probably makes up a little for the fact that he played in the worse time for spinners ever. That time after uncovered, but before umpires started given LBWs for pretending to play a shot. Hence why Kumble has more. He probably would have had even more nowadays with DRS meaning the umpires give even more, and the way he bowled was pretty conducive for that.

Yet watching Abdul on youtube and I'm really surprised at his lack of accuracy, one feels his high average was because he was fairly easy to take apart at times.
Economy Rate
Abdul Qadir = 2.71
Anil Kumble = 2.70
Shane Warne = 2.65

Qadir's relative ER implies that he was accurate enough to me.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Team of >30 averagers who actually did bowl regularly:

1. Vinoo Mankad (9)
2. Frank Woolley (8)
3. Garfield Sobers (7)
4. Jacques Kallis (6)
5. Steve Waugh * (10)
6. Andrew Flintoff (3)
7. Daniel Vettori (5)
8. Jack Gregory (1)
9. Stuart Broad (2)
10. Pure Keeper +
11. Erapali Prasana (4)

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why is Sobers getting votes over some of the others? Also a tragic lack of mention of Srinath in the thread so far. Very solid and underappreciated bowler.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Percentage of LBW decisions for leggies...

Kumble 25%
Qadir 22%
Warne 20%
MacGill 16%

Did Kumble have even more 'sympathetic' umpires that Qadir and Warne slightly less so. Or is it just that Magilla turned it too far to get as many LB's as the others.
It is definitely due to Kumble's line, lack of turn and his actual game plan of trying to get LBWs, bowled or bat pad catches as his main mode of dismissals.

I'm finding it hard to pick, this Darren Sami chap looks interesting though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Spinners at an advantage here given they tend to average higher

But it's Freddie so bite me

viriya

International Captain
What a strange question. Perhaps on the grounds of versatility? Pretty useful cricketer, all things considered. And it's hardly as if he's the runaway poll leader.
He may have been versatile but he doesn't deserve to be considered the best bowler in that list. Just too much hype for a bowler who took 2 wkts/match at almost 100 balls a wicket and no 10 wicket hauls..

grecian

Economy Rate
Abdul Qadir = 2.71
Anil Kumble = 2.70
Shane Warne = 2.65

Qadir's relative ER implies that he was accurate enough to me.
I think you have to take into account the run-rates of the time to the ones of latter-generations. I mean Emburey went at 2.20, Underwood at 2-10, Edmonds 2.13. Just some random Englishman, but Iqbal Qasim was half-a-run cheaper too.

People used to hit a few boundaries and then much happier to milk the singles back then.

He was mesmerising to watch and will always be a legend, and someone that helped keep spin ***y during a pretty turgid time for it. Yet waching back, I just wonder how good an actual bowler he was.

Last edited:

fredfertang

He was mesmerising to watch and will always be a legend, and someone that helped keep spin ***y during a pretty turgid time for it. Yet waching back, I just wonder how good an actual bowler he was.
An excellent point - always wanted to see Qadir succeed, even if it meant a few dodgy decisions had to go against England - was the first leggie I'd seen since Intikhab and Mushtaq, who were ok, but not in the same league

adub

International Captain
But the whole 'too many loose balls' thing about Qadir is probably an artifact of seeing Warne (and Kumble) come since him. They're different bowlers. Warne was a freak with his control, but he never really had a wrong 'un (or half the other new balls he used to con batsmen into believing were in his armoury each summer), and Kumble as noted above wasn't a big turner. I'd pair Qadir much more with MacGill in that they were looking to turn it square and sneak a wrong 'un in pretty regularly. Now I can appreciate Kumble's ability, but I'd rather watch a session of Qadir or MacGill despite (or because of) all the half trakers that would go to the fence. Just love a good leggy who is going for broke and is prepared to pay for his wickets. It just makes for the best cricket.

smash84

The Tiger King
Qadir was pretty decent on his day. As someone pointed out that in his day he didn't get too many lbws in hus favor being a spinner. He was an excellent bowler of the flipper and the googly. By his own admission he had to sometimes tell the umpire that the flipper was coming up and to judge accordingly

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I am sure at some point in his career McGrath averaged over 30, so I'm going to go with him.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Qadir was pretty decent on his day. As someone pointed out that in his day he didn't get too many lbws in hus favor being a spinner. He was an excellent bowler of the flipper and the googly. By his own admission he had to sometimes tell the umpire that the flipper was coming up and to judge accordingly
That's not what was pointed out.