• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cook vs Warne

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Warne tells Cook: 'Take a rest'

Shane Warne has stepped up his criticism of Alastair Cook's captaincy, insisting that his leadership of England at Headingley represented the worst day of international captaincy he had witnessed in 25 years.

In an outspoken column in The Daily Telegraph Warne dismissed Cook's suggestions that his criticism was somehow personal and suggested that it would be "a miracle" if he ever became tactically astute.

Cook had suggested ahead of the Headingley Test, which Sri Lanka won in the last over to take the series, that "something should be done" about Warne's trenchant criticism. He has insisted that he has no intention of resigning as England captain ahead of the Test series against India. He has received support, among others, from India's coach Duncan Fletcher, the man who first introduced him to Test cricket.

There are three ways to go with Alastair 'Cooked' Cook," Warne said. "Everyone sticks their head in the sand and just allows things to keep going as is and hope he finds form with the bat and by a miracle discovers some tactical brains from somewhere. Two: he steps down from the captaincy to concentrate on his batting. Three: the most radical of all, he has a complete break away from the game.

"His captaincy at Lord's was terrible, then on Monday at Headingley I witnessed the worst day of captaincy I have ever seen at international level in almost 25 years in the game. It was horrific, and I am not the only one singing that tune.

"This column is not a personal attack and never has been Alastair. Mate, you need to improve tactically or England need someone else in the job. And I am not the only one saying it. Please speak to Michael Vaughan, Nasser Hussain and other successful captains who were tough, ruthless and got it.

"With Cook as captain England will always be conservative and get confused about what to do when games are in the balance because he retreats so quickly.... If a game is in the balance with Cook at the helm then I am here to tell you, England will lose."

shrik

Cricket Spectator
Harsh but good article from Warnie.As always he is tough.I am thinking that apart from attacking cooks tactics what warne doing is a mental disintegration of alister cook.
No doubt Cook looks confused and boaring but he also is the wisest man in this England side.England looking hopless at the moment even in their home conditions. Only India can take them out of this ****

shrik

Cricket Spectator
Harsh but good article from Warnie.As always he is tough.I am thinking that apart from attacking cooks tactics what warne doing is a mental disintegration of alister cook.
No doubt Cook looks confused and boaring but he also is the wisest man in this England side.England looking hopless at the moment even in their home conditions. Only India can take them out of this ****

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Warne's continuous digs at him should surely be annoying for Cook and he would wish to prove a point to Warne during the India series. Will be nice and interesting if Warne commentates in those matches, or better, handle post match presentations.

shrik

Cricket Spectator
Yes he will..... And he is bloody good at it.One can visualize the game situation by listing to his commentary

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warne may have an agenda in winding up the England team but he is bang on with Cook. Cook moaned about Warne having a go before the last test then promptly gave his worst ever display of captaincy. Cook has to either get a thicker skin or walk away. I know which I would prefer him to do.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
In Warne's World..

…guys like Warne, KP etc. are great captains because they apparently have "great cricket brains".

Seriously, cricket captaincy isn't that hard. It's just a balance between trying too little and trying too much, while understanding the game and the players involved.

And not being the biggest **** in your team. Which is the main reason why Warne and KP never succeeded as test captains.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hmm, I'd imagine that captaining your country in a constant, brutal media spotlight is a little removed from captaining a park side, though. I don't know that you can say it "isn't that hard" based on that.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Hmm, I'd imagine that captaining your country in a constant, brutal media spotlight is a little removed from captaining a park side, though. I don't know that you can say it "isn't that hard" based on that.
Fair point.

I guess I meant more the actual on field tactical side isn't incredibly difficult, but the contrast between Clarke and Cook was certainly stark.

Is there a tendency within the English team's captain selections to go for the statesman over the man who might be a better tactical captain and leader?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cook has seriously lost it atm and you also have to question his advisors

As it stands, Warne is 100% correct and the best result for Oz would be if Alistair were captain for the Ashes next year

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
This whole saga is really weird. Pretty unlike Cook to get phased by those sort of things and complain publicly. I actually thought Warne was quite positive about Cook during the winter Ashes, all things considered, so I was surprised it was still going on. Though admittedly I don't think I saw any of Warne commentating during the Lords test.

OverratedSanity

It's difficult to like Warne but he's 100% right. It was appalling captaincy and was one of the prime reasons why England ended up losing. Cook's just not thinking straight and I hope it continues for another couple of months atleast.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
So very surprised that the Indian coach supports the ****. Theres one way to win a series.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I reckon Cook is on the edge tbh - he needs a complete rest for a month or two followed by a few weeks filling his boots in the LVCC otherwise I fear he'll be sticking his underpants on his head and a couple of pencils up his nostrils

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Isn't that exactly what he had after the Ashes? Or am I missing sarcasm/irony?

I think we all just have to cross our fingers and hope.

flibbertyjibber

I reckon Cook is on the edge tbh - he needs a complete rest for a month or two followed by a few weeks filling his boots in the LVCC otherwise I fear he'll be sticking his underpants on his head and a couple of pencils up his nostrils
You missed off awubble