• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cook vs Warne

Shri

Mr. Glass
*Had.

...:(

Well Gimh could retort with "I rest my case" I guess. **** him.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Never understood quite why Warne gets so much hate for his commentary (or Danny Morrison for that matter)
Warne makes some good points, he just reiterates them continually throughout a whole Test match. Sort of like Chapelli on roids.

jcas0167

International Debutant
What puzzles me is why Warne would be at all concerned about England doing badly, with or without Cook in charge. Does anyone really think he has the best interests of English cricket at heart, however much he might have enjoyed his time at Hampshire? Just comes across as taking another kick at the Poms to me, we shouldn't complain about that but don't disguise it as concern.
Warne is paid to give his opinions on the game. As a captain he was very much an attacking, risk taking type. It probably pains him to see they way Cook captains, which seems to go against what he believes is the most effective way to do it. So he writes about it when giving his opinion on the game. I don't see why this is so surprising?

In terms of saying things for parochial purposes, Warne strikes me as more of an individual who says what he thinks and doesn't necessarily follow the herd.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He's not that young. He's 29 IIRC, and he's played 100+ Tests - he should be used to it by now.
Yeah wtf. Cook has no "inexperience" excuse at all. He's still a relatively new captain but that did not stop Clarke copping it, nor most other captains after they've had the job for more than 18 mths - 2 years.

Warne's a dick, but Cook has to cop it on the chin and move on.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Also there are other captains who have to deal with Boards undermining them. Cook, for all the crap he has dealt with re: KP, has ECB backing him to the hilt. No excuses.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Yeah wtf. Cook has no "inexperience" excuse at all. He's still a relatively new captain but that did not stop Clarke copping it, nor most other captains after they've had the job for more than 18 mths - 2 years.

Warne's a dick, but Cook has to cop it on the chin and move on.
you're right but my comment(which spark was replying to) was more about his ability in press conferences i.e that he found it difficult and that may have been down to his age- not his captaincy..

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Cultural differences. Punctuality is seen as having a stick up one's ass where I am from and basic professionalism can't be expected from greenhorns. It was my job to drill that message into them and I didn't always succeed at first by repeating it to them calmly. Pay cuts and ****s getting fired after getting an earful made a huge difference. There is a reason why the method has always worked.
I agree with GIMH - however if you have recalcitrant people (idiots basically) reporting to you then you do have to threaten them with being fired eventually to get their attention. In most workplaces employees aren't idiots however. But different strokes for different folks.

Management theory talks about Theory X and Theory Y. Theory X involves yelling at people, being demanding, and ordering people around. This style is recommended for managing brick layers and jobs that don't involve thinking as they are inherently boring and only the threat of being told off keeps you on task.

Knowledge workers require Theory Y management which is more touchy feely. However you still need to be pretty direct with feedback and not be too gentle as most people can not read between the lines if you go soft. Straight talk works best. And more straight than one would initially think even if it means dumbing down your message.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Going soft does not work not because people don't get the message, but because no one appreciates a passive aggressive dick. It's astonishing how many managers don't understand the distinction.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Shri, GIMH and co. go discuss your work place management skills somewhere else ****s.

Bunch of David Brents.

Spark

Global Moderator
“At least you don’t have stones being thrown at your houses” - Ravi Shastri when asked whether the criticism of Cook has been excessive
It's a fair point