• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cook vs Warne

Shri

Mr. Glass
Memo to Warne and KP: Less of the childish, attention seeking, headline grabbing comments. Take a leaf out of Boycott's book- he may be perceived as a bit of a caricature but at least his criticism is constructive and more importantly never spiteful. Worst day of captaincy ever, Shane....... England v India, 4th innings, December 2008 at Chennai, ring any bells Kevin????
Lol what? Constructive criticism? What decade are you living in? Criticisms that don't hurt your feelings don't motivate you to get better.

91Jmay

International Coach
Never understood quite why Warne gets so much hate for his commentary (or Danny Morrison for that matter)
I think the thing you put in brackets might undermine your argument somewhat there Max. How can any human being not feel a surge of violence when Morrrrisoooon. Starts. To TALK.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Never understood quite why Warne gets so much hate for his commentary (or Danny Morrison for that matter)
Lol I think I might be in the minority as well as I don't mind Danny Morrison's commentary. There's worse than him.

On Warne, he's clearly got an agenda against Cook. Cook isn't the finished product, but hearing Warne go on and on about it makes me want Cook to succeed.

paulted

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Lol what? Constructive criticism? What decade are you living in? Criticisms that don't hurt your feelings don't motivate you to get better.
Yeah I agree about your comments regarding criticism but what have Statler and Waldorf said that is constructive-Nothing, just firing off cheap shots.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Cook used to be a good leader in the sense that he led front the front and posted all the big scores in the India tour. However, as a captain (which is not just being a leadership but also being tactically and management-wise astute), he's always been bland and sorely predictable.

What's been a growing concern ever seen the test series in New Zealand has been the fact that his form has been steadily declining. As such, now he neither leads from the front nor has any tactical contributions to his teams. When was the last time he made a decent test innings, Perth in December? And even then he threw away his wicket at a crucial point on Day 2.

Naturally, this makes him a prime target for people like Warne. Warne can be an absolute dickhead, but he is spot on about Cook. That guy is just plain bad as captain, and to make it worse he has had no individual form to warrant any selection in the test side.

What I just don't get is why Cook even had to respond to Warne's criticism - it's a lose-lose situation for him, as long as he fails to score big or as long as his team wins he will always be criticised and his captaincy will look all the more worse. For a man who's 29 and played a ton of matches in all forms of the game on the international stage, you'd think he'd know how to handle criticism.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the thing you put in brackets might undermine your argument somewhat there Max. How can any human being not feel a surge of violence when Morrrrisoooon. Starts. To TALK.
hmm, I'm not really trying to argue anything, it's just that I really don't find those guys annoying, I do of course accept that I'm quite in the minority here though

Spark

Global Moderator
Warne is just repetitive more than anything (lose to win etc). Incredibly predictable with some of the things he says as well.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
criticism that hurts your feelings just makes you resent the person that delivers it more than anything IMO

Shri

Mr. Glass
As a guy who was at one time in charge of a few lazy sub-ordinates who did half assed jobs, I know what worked. Constructive criticism didn't. Threats and condescending criticism did.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Being England captain is going to bring out something a lot different in you than putting in a half assed effort at some job you hate though, it's not like Cook needs motivation from Warne to do well

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
As a guy who was at one time in charge of a few lazy sub-ordinates who did half assed jobs, I know what worked. Constructive criticism didn't. Threats and condescending criticism did.
As a guy who has been dealing with providing feedback for a living for about 8 years I also know what works. Your method is nonsense.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That being said the media are under no such obligations and it's fair game to call it as they see it

Shri

Mr. Glass
As a guy who has been dealing with providing feedback for a living for about 8 years I also know what works. Your method is nonsense.
Cultural differences. Punctuality is seen as having a stick up one's ass where I am from and basic professionalism can't be expected from greenhorns. It was my job to drill that message into them and I didn't always succeed at first by repeating it to them calmly. Pay cuts and ****s getting fired after getting an earful made a huge difference. There is a reason why the method has always worked.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Cultural differences. Punctuality is seen as having a stick up one's ass where I am from and basic professionalism can't be expected from greenhorns. It was my job to drill that message into them and I didn't always succeed at first by repeating it to them calmly. Pay cuts and ****s getting fired after getting an earful made a huge difference. There is a reason why the method has always worked.
That's disciplinary not constructive criticism. Not the same.

stumpski

International Captain
What puzzles me is why Warne would be at all concerned about England doing badly, with or without Cook in charge. Does anyone really think he has the best interests of English cricket at heart, however much he might have enjoyed his time at Hampshire? Just comes across as taking another kick at the Poms to me, we shouldn't complain about that but don't disguise it as concern.