• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cook vs Warne

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If you are an ex-player and trying to earn money as a pundit, it is obvious you try to mention certain opinions in a provocative or at least, controversial, manner... Cook should know this is a no-win situation if he is gonna take on people like Warne.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
He's right about Cook, he was right the first time he said it, the only problem is he can't stop repeating it.

This is getting more tedious than him telling the Sherminator story on comms every stint during the last Ashes.
Yeah agree with this.

What he says is not wrong, but it's the repetitive nature and fixation on it that is really giving me the ****s. I honestly have to hit the mute button now when he comes on because I just can't stand listening to it, which in itself is a shame because I recall when he first started out as a commentator I thought he was great.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Dont be hating on Warne because he is a truth teller and English cricket, along With its other Sporting teams, are in the toilet...

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Gash posting. As I've already mentioned Warnes gob has been equally destructive to Australian cricket at times so leave the nationalistic bollocks out of it.

the big bambino

International Captain
I reckon Cook is on the edge tbh - he needs a complete rest for a month or two followed by a few weeks filling his boots in the LVCC otherwise I fear he'll be sticking his underpants on his head and a couple of pencils up his nostrils
One of the funniest lines I've read came from a book called England on Tour where the author Wynne-Thomas described the lead up to the 1st ever test and the privations the English team suffered right up to the beginning of the game. Weakened by fatigue and injuries England managed to scavenge a side and sent in Harry Jupp as opener where, according to Wynne-Thomas, he top scored despite a bout of insanity. The revelation wasn't preceded with a hint, subsequently explained or softened with a euphemism. He just hung it out there and my eyes bugged out with surprise then squinted with laughter. Good old Juppy. Just maybe insanity can be liberating. Cook is just one provocation away from meeting royalty wearing a top hat and nothing else then taking guard and smashing a ton. I only wished it could have happened at Lords.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I assume that Warne is on a deal where he has to phone in a certain number of words per test otherwise he could simply say read my last column

Anyway, some of the Warne bashing is amusing given that Boycott, Vaughan. Berry, Pringle and Hussain have all written similar articles this week

Spark

Global Moderator
Warne is obviously a massive **** but Cook has made no improvement to his captaincy since taking over. He basically goes out with the pre-determined game plan and when it doesn't work they have nothing However Anderson/Broad and Swann also take a lot of criticism for the field placings. They are so negative and defensive it makes Cook look ****e.
Surely that comes back to Cook anyway, as he should be telling them "no, I'm the captain, you bowl to my fields, not yours".

The way he uses Anderson and Broad is borderline criminal, though. Quelle surprise that they look knackered when they're constantly asked to bowl gargantuan spells as strike bowlers.

Is it just me, or does Cook strike anyone else as being...er...not particularly intelligent.

I have always quite liked Cook, but captaincy aside, whenever I see him interviewed he often comes across as being... a bit dim.
The post-match he did after Lord's was hilariously cringeworthy. So, so obvious that he just didn't rate Moeen Ali or anyone else who bowled spin in the country.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Gash posting. As I've already mentioned Warnes gob has been equally destructive to Australian cricket at times so leave the nationalistic bollocks out of it.
Oh boy :laugh:

Nothing wrong With Warne criticising Cook. He has Been consistent With his criticism and until something changes and as long as it keeps happening theres nothing wrong With Warne pointing it out.

If theres a glaring problem With something you dont just point it out once and from there on just accept it as the norm...oh wait

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyway, some of the Warne bashing is amusing given that Boycott, Vaughan. Berry, Pringle and Hussain have all written similar articles this week
Point me to the Boycott, Vaughan. Berry, Pringle and Hussain V's Cook thread and I'm sure we'll have something to say there as well.

FFS, "Warne bashing" "hating on Warne"..........some of you blokes are as thin skinned as Cook.

Cook is a **** captain and Warne is a **** with a big mouth.........hard to see how there is any debating either of these points tbh.

paulted

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
While I am not particularly happy with Cook's captaincy, the continued sniping of Warne and Pietersen is laughable. Now KP has dragged Andrew Strauss into the equation. Who's next Kev, Moores? Gallian? Bringing up old grudges smacks of petulance. Although Warne and KP were fine players in their day, both were trouble makers around their team mates. They are quickly turning in to Statler and Waldorf!!!!

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Is it just me, or does Cook strike anyone else as being...er...not particularly intelligent.

I have always quite liked Cook, but captaincy aside, whenever I see him interviewed he often comes across as being... a bit dim.
Personally I reckon that is because he is aware that every word he speaks will be analysed and quoted in the media. If he chooses words that can have even the slightest negative connotation, he knows these will be twisted and used against him. Don't forget he is still only a young man and also the gutter press in this country are great at slamming anyone to sell a few more papers/downloads nowadays...

Spark

Global Moderator
He's not that young. He's 29 IIRC, and he's played 100+ Tests - he should be used to it by now.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Point me to the Boycott, Vaughan. Berry, Pringle and Hussain V's Cook thread and I'm sure we'll have something to say there as well.

FFS, "Warne bashing" "hating on Warne"..........some of you blokes are as thin skinned as Cook.

Cook is a **** captain and Warne is a **** with a big mouth.........hard to see how there is any debating either of these points tbh.
Warne is right and has been for 12 months

Warne is paid to give his views and Cook is paid to captain England

One is **** at their job

paulted

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Memo to Warne and KP: Less of the childish, attention seeking, headline grabbing comments. Take a leaf out of Boycott's book- he may be perceived as a bit of a caricature but at least his criticism is constructive and more importantly never spiteful. Worst day of captaincy ever, Shane....... England v India, 4th innings, December 2008 at Chennai, ring any bells Kevin????

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Never understood quite why Warne gets so much hate for his commentary (or Danny Morrison for that matter)