1st Test
    Sri Lanka vs South Africa
    Galle International Stadium, Galle
    Jul 16, 2014 | 10:00 local | 04:30 GMT

2nd Test
    Sri Lanka vs South Africa
    Sinhalese Sports Club Ground, Colombo
    Jul 24, 2014 | 10:00 local | 04:30 GMT

This one is starting really soon, and it should be a cracker of a series, SL having come off a 1-0 victory against England away from home and the world's no 2 team starting a transition after two key retirements in Kallis and Smith. Predicting a 1-0 win to Sri Lanka in the tests and 2-1 in the ODIs, always in with an excellent chance when Sanga is in this kind of form and the lack of quality spinner for SA could really hurt them
    Proudly supporting the world's no 1 spin bowler Rangana Herath and the mighty Sri Lankans!

I even made a domestic thread

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    devilliers and amla are gonna make 1000 runs and probably have 1000 beers too (not amla though lol)
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Gonna be an interesting selection process as far as the SL attack goes, suspect we'll go with two spinners for both tests in Herath and Dilruwan, leaving only two slots for pacers, one of which Eranga will surely fill, Lakmal (who was very good before his injury) Prasad (coming off that spell) and Pradeep will probably be the ones fighting it out for the second spot, seems like Kulasekara could well be out of contention for a while now.

I know that South Africa don't have great spinners, but I'll be utterly amazed if Sri Lanka wins here.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Gonna be an interesting selection process as far as the SL attack goes, suspect we'll go with two spinners for both tests in Herath and Dilruwan, leaving only two slots for pacers, one of which Eranga will surely fill, Lakmal (who was very good before his injury) Prasad (coming off that spell) and Pradeep will probably be the ones fighting it out for the second spot, seems like Kulasekara could well be out of contention for a while now.
    think you're right about Kula there mate and for mine, i reckon it will be Eranga and Lakmal(if fit), if not Prasad rather than Pradeep on our wickets..Hope Chandi continues to get a run in the team and that Thirri regains some confidence and scores heavily..Interesting to see if we will go three quicks at Pallekele as doesnt the ball swing a bit there, i havent been to that ground myself but will trythis summer if Pakistan have a game there(?) as I am there during the Pakistan tour(gutted to miss the SA tour)
    Well done Maximas on another good thread btw..
    Last edited by YorksLanka; 27-06-2014 at 12:38 AM.
    Maximas likes this.
    "Play Hard but play fair..."

I would suspect we will go with three quicks for Pallekele, not only does it swing a bit but the pitch is quite fast and bouncy compared to the rest of the SC. I think Prasad and Eranga's ability to get that skiddy bounce and pace will probably be preffered over Lakmal, Pradeep's bang it into the pitch style will never be very successful in Sri Lanka one feels.

Also, I forgot to put 'official' in the thread title, can a mod pls fix that up? Cheers

U19 Cricketer
    This is going to be a good series I think.

1-1 may be the result we'll see.

Will be interesting to see what SA's tactics will be. Tahir will definitely play, the question is whether they'll take a chance on Piedt and have two spinners, or let Duminy fulfil the second spinner role.

So, my side for the first Test would be:

Petersen, Elgar, Amla, Du Plessis, De Villiers, Duminy, Van Zyl, Philander, Steyn, Morkel, Tahir.

Elgar and Du Plessis can also chip in with some overs of part-time spin, and Van Zyl also bowls decent seam-up.

De Kock could also be an option instead of Van Zyl and relieve AB of keeping duties. I don't know if that will happen on this tour, but I reckon within the next year.

U19 Cricketer
    Brilliant writing by Firdose Moonda again.

According to JP Duminy South Africa 'has a point to prove'. More shockingly, they're looking to 'start well'.

How has she not been nominated for a Nobel Prize for Literature yet, or the Pulitzer, at the very least?

South Africa Cricket News: Point to prove in SL - Duminy | ESPN Cricinfo

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    Brilliant writing by Firdose Moonda again.

According to JP Duminy South Africa 'has a point to prove'. More shockingly, they're looking to 'start well'.

How has she not been nominated for a Nobel Prize for Literature yet, or the Pulitzer, at the very least?

South Africa Cricket News: Point to prove in SL - Duminy | ESPN Cricinfo
    I don't agree with the claim that SL prepared "raging turners" for SA when Murali was around. As I recall Murali got a 10-wkt haul in the same match that Mahela + Sanga ran up 624 - I don't think you can call that pitch a raging turner..
    cricrate - the home of cricket ratings

Mendis is gonna take a 10-wkt haul against SA
    Is this your homework Larry?

Would be a bit harsh on Dilruwan if he plays

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Would be a bit harsh on Dilruwan if he plays
    Mendis should be in the team, m sure he can destroy this SA line-up on a turning pitch.

South Africa in Sri Lanka 2014 : Upul Tharanga, Kithuruwan Vithanage in SL ODI squad | Cricket News | Sri Lanka v South Africa | ESPN Cricinfo

The classic Tharanga recall is back for this series, need Kusal to make a hundred sometime to keep Tharanga out of it.

Senanayake was selected as well - when are we meant to hear the results of his tests again? It's been more than 21 days since he was reported

The tour game is today as well, a pretty strong looking board president's XI by the looks of it, Mubarak, Randiv, Chandimal, Thirimanne, Vithanage and Thisara Perera all in the squad

yes i agree, bucking the trend of most countries of putting out a virtual 3rd xi for warm up games..pretty decent side and hoping that people will stand up with some good performances and make the selectors lives difficult...

Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information