• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Sol Bar: New Zealand Cricket Randomness

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Jesse Ryder must make a comeback. And when he does he must win us the World Cup.
Haha. You are good fun.

I said that about Adam Milne and had he been fit at the WACCA then who knows what might have happened. Certainly having him instead of Mark Craig would have been helpful.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Is that really saying a lot? I must be only Kiwi who thinks Southee's overrated as an ODI (in particular) bowler. Take away that one magical day vs. England and his ODI form in the last couple of years has been decidedly average, pretty much like his whole career to date. At best a 'handy/good' ODI cricketer. Nothing more, nothing less & certainly not someone we'd hope Henry aspires to match.
Still, though, he's been our first choice ODI quick for a long time. And is still only 26, so is likely to get better yet.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The other day when I was driving I was thinking it would be nice if I could pay $1000 a year to belong to a message board that Mike Hesson uses so I can send him suggestions. Then I quickly realised it would be the downfall of the team if he listened to anyone's advice who had not actually played test cricket. Stilll NZC needs to do more things to allow for engaged fans to interact. Apparently in the AFL you can buy club memberships and hang out with the players after matches. I would be keen for that with the Wellington Firebirds. Would love to have a pint with Blundell and Arnel and Jeets etc. Imagine how intelligent they are about cricket. They don't let anything slip over TV interviews, but over a beer they would.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Here's one for NZ fans to chew over;

What would KW have to achieve statistically speaking (test cricket only), to match Hadlee in terms of test greatness?

Would 25 hundreds @ an average of 55 do it? Or would he need closer to 30 test tons to get into Paddle's territory.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Haha. You are good fun.

I said that about Adam Milne and had he been fit at the WACCA then who knows what might have happened. Certainly having him instead of Mark Craig would have been helpful.
I'm not going to cast aspersions on Milne because he's probably a very tough hombre, but imagine if he was the type of meathead who munched on painkillers and kept his various aches and pains a secret because he was desperate to play every game, and said "shin splints and sore heels be damned!!!!" - probably that kind of person wouldn't last very long as their body would fall apart on them, but the idea of PURE PACE adding a cutting edge to this NZ attack is an intoxicating one. Pace bowling and serious readings on the speed gun grabs everyone's attention.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

What would KW have to achieve statistically speaking (test cricket only), to match Hadlee in terms of test greatness?

Would 25 hundreds @ an average of 55 do it? Or would he need closer to 30 test tons to get into Paddle's territory.
Average over 60. And over a ten year period. Hadlee is ranked in the top ten cricketers of all time. It is pretty crowded up top so Kane will have to do something special.

Statistics aside he will also need to go very big in one inning. Sachin's legacy is lower due to not having a triple. Kane needs something big. He won't score anything big for the next 2-3 years. He isn't hungry enough. He thinks he has a million innings in front of him. Ross is more likely to go big this season as he needs to grasp at any opportunity that comes along.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

an average over 60. At least 30 tons.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
The other day when I was driving I was thinking it would be nice if I could pay $1000 a year to belong to a message board that Mike Hesson uses so I can send him suggestions.
Mike Hesson has been under-going an internal crisis of confidence for some time now. Short of inspiration and ideas, he is turning to this site more and more for the answers he seeks. Therefore if you make your points eloquently and with sound reasoning, you may get his attention.

Flem274*

123/5
Would need to average 60+ unless he gets his bowling really firing.

Captaincy and fielding could also help him get closer.

Skyliner

International 12th Man

30 tons @ 55.

Zinzan

Average over 60. And over a ten year period. Hadlee is ranked in the top ten cricketers of all time. It is pretty crowded up top so Kane will have to do something special.

Statistics aside he will also need to go very big in one inning. Sachin's legacy is lower due to not having a triple. Kane needs something big. He won't score anything big for the next 2-3 years. He isn't hungry enough. He thinks he has a million innings in front of him. Ross is more likely to go big this season as he needs to grasp at any opportunity that comes along.
A quick edit from 65 to 60. Well played, I was about to hit you with the scenario of 63.89 with 35 hundreds :p

I don't know what makes you say it's a hunger issue stopping KW going 250+. Taylor could have been dismissed several times on his way to 290 tbf, you generally need your share of luck to score those big 250+ totals, even if your concentration is superb. It's not like KW is often getting out just after 100..and he did get a 242 no earlier in the year. Who knows how big he would have gone with another session in that match.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
an average over 60. At least 30 tons.

Hendrix's answer is pretty similar to mine, but after reflecting on it. I would say that would only put him on an equal footing with Hadlee.

Imagine a bowler as good as Tim Southee in his pomp who does it for 15 years, and simply doesn't have a bad period or a 6 month slump like our Tim and latterly our Trent have done.

In fact - even though Tim's performance against England was better than Hadlee - in general Hadlee's stock perfromance was better than Tim in his pomp.

How many 5fers does Tim have anyway? 4? Hadlee had 36!

Zinzan

Interesting and also harmonious response from the keewees, all setting the bar at 60+, which incidentally I don't think KW will get near. He would had he started playing from the age of about 22 though :))..

I think he'll end up averaging round 57 tops, even if things go absolute swimmingly for him from here on in.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Mike Hesson has been under-going an internal crisis of confidence for some time now. Short of inspiration and ideas, he is turning to this site more and more for the answers he seeks. Therefore if you make your points eloquently and with sound reasoning, you may get his attention.
I used to be a member of canucks.com and you get a telling off if you make a silly trade suggestion because they truly fear that the GM might be reading and they only want to give him good ideas.

On a serious note after PEWS told me that cricinfo regularly steals story ideas from CW (e.g. did you notice they picked up perhaps the West Indies should be split back into their islands) I did try to make serious and thought provoking suggestions for a good six months. That was when I was fresh.
Nothing came of it so I now I stick to hammering out my regulation thoughts I have while at Countdown or at the video store.

Flem274*

123/5
Interesting and also harmonious response from the keewees, all setting the bar at 60+, which incidentally I don't think KW will get near. He would had he started playing from the age of about 22 though :))..

I think he'll end up averaging round 57 tops, even if things go absolute swimmingly for him from here on in.
yeah he pretty much has to average 50+, get to the bowling equivalent of a #8 batsman, and then to clearly surpass Hadlee his captaincy and fielding will have to be good (he's got the fielding. such a valuable catcher).

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
KW already has 13 tons, and he's only been good for a few years. So he'll need more than 25 to be comparable to Hadlee. Hadlee had 36 5-fors so maybe 35-40 Test tons is where KW has to get to. If he manages this his average will be excellent anyway so there's no need to quantify it.