• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Sol Bar: New Zealand Cricket Randomness

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Blair Hartland has had ENUF of your obsession with terrible NZ players of the 90s and says you need counselling for those deep emotional hurts of the past.

BeeGee

International Captain
Blair Hartland has had ENUF of your obsession with terrible NZ players of the 90s and says you need counselling for those deep emotional hurts of the past.
All NZ fans who lived through that decade bare those scares.

Just as you're sitting back in your comfy chair with a glass of cognac and fine cigar, all ready to reflect on the glory of the eighties, along comes the nineties to really harsh your mellow.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Obviously put on too good a buffet at NZC.

Probably very high fat content in their buffets and the cholesterol has gone straight to David White's brain. Which is why he makes zero sense in general.
Very high carb content at Lincoln. Lads on 14-day stints managing about one bowel movement a week.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I thought we could do a run down of Worst NZ Cricketers Post 1980.

Send me votes in a 10 to 1 format (with 10 being the worst, 1 being the least bad) and I'll collate the data (heathdavisspeed at yahoo dot co dot nz)

We'll find out the winner in 10 years time, at this rate. By which point the #6 will have redeemed himself to such an extent that he has his own religion.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We'll find out the winner in 10 years time, at this rate. By which point the #6 will have redeemed himself to such an extent that he has his own religion.
I won't bother writing profiles for this'n. (Well, I may copy and paste Jeets' over to this thread too. :p)

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Must say this thread is fantastic. After the horrors of the tour thread, it's very refreshing. Much like the beverage whose name it carries.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
One of my friends bought two 940ml bottles of Sol for a party the other week. Brought back memories of how mediocre Tui was.

I still can't hate the stuff tbh. It's definitely ****ty beer for 12-year-olds, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

HeathDavisSpeed

The Sol love here is almost as terrible as the actual tour thread.
It's an allegory, my dear Athlai. The Sol does not represent the beer Sol itself. It represents that higher level of spiritual enlightenment that certain people can reach after consumption of an appropriate level of beer - especially after having to make do with Tui for 3 days and then being offered something even slightly different.

I fear you would not know this feeling given your behaviour in this thread.

HeathDavisSpeed

Agro in the stands? ND up to mischief. [/kippaxing]

I thought we could do a run down of Worst NZ Cricketers Post 1980.

Send me votes in a 10 to 1 format (with 10 being the worst, 1 being the least bad) and I'll collate the data (heathdavisspeed at yahoo dot co dot nz)
Only one set of votes thus far. A disappointing return.

HeathDavisSpeed

Happy random thoughts today after a thrilling series victory by the marginally (but noticeable margin, of course) better team.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Would you say a head and shoulders margin? Or maybe just a head? A nose, if the other team was wearing heels that day and hadn't knocked their knee while getting out of bed that morning?

Anyway it's essential that we determine exactly how much of a margin it was and prosecute the debate at length until all two hundred people here are of a single mind and agree that the margin was a full head plus the part of the neck down to the lower of a beard or the middle of the collar, if the one team was wearing a collar that day and not a v-neck jumper because oh boy, that would have completely changed the complexion of the comparison.

Once everyone agrees absolutely and for all eternity on the exact nature of the above, then we will all look around blankly at each other until someone ventures to suggest that the relative merit of some other thing is, all things being equal, where equal is a concept exclusively defined in the recesses of their own mind though it's completely objective of course, better than some other thing, and then we can all be relieved because it will all start again.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
One of my friends bought two 940ml bottles of Sol for a party the other week. Brought back memories of how mediocre Tui was.

I still can't hate the stuff tbh. It's definitely ****ty beer for 12-year-olds, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
Presuming you mean Tui on the last part, totally agree. Drinkable, especially on a hot day at the cricket. Apparently they're opening a new plant at the Mount, so they must be doing okay.

Have to say, from afar the whole promotion over summer got old on me really quickly. Dunno if it was a different dynamic at the ground but it got a bit sickening after a while.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Presuming you mean Tui on the last part, totally agree. Drinkable, especially on a hot day at the cricket. Apparently they're opening a new plant at the Mount, so they must be doing okay.

Have to say, from afar the whole promotion over summer got old on me really quickly. Dunno if it was a different dynamic at the ground but it got a bit sickening after a while.
I didn't have an orange shirt on and I got told i had to sit two seats away from my friends so that they "had room to dive":- so yeah it got a bit OTT

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I have come around now to the idea of T20 replacing ODIs. I finally think I have had my fill of 50 over cricket. Somewhere in the middle of watching Ross Taylor score a ton in an ODI at the cake tin it just started to feel all a bit routine and that I was watching someone do his job rather than play for the love of the game.

I don't have a hate on for the middle overs in fact I quite like them, I just think that the players have mastered ODIs now, while we haven't seen the full potential of T20s yet.

I hope that we shrink back the amount of List A stuff our provinces play and play more 4 day cricket instead.