• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Sol Bar: New Zealand Cricket Randomness

jcas0167

International Debutant
Saw that you liked that and had a comment He's just the worst. Following a few links to a response to Reason's comments one guy in the comments had to mansplain why men's sports are so much more popular. You can't make this stuff up.
Can you ban people for using the term mansplain? Or at least give them a severe flogging?

Anyway, Reason's contempt for women's sport is alarming. It's oddly inconsistent too, as he tends to be quite liberal in other areas.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How's this Bharat Popli fella? Looking at a couple of videos and he looks pretty compact, nice pull shot and uses his feet to the spinners a fair bit, but he looks like he has really hard hands. Done pretty well for himself so far so I'm surprised you lot aren't screaming his name in every other thread..

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
How's this Bharat Popli fella? Looking at a couple of videos and he looks pretty compact, nice pull shot and uses his feet to the spinners a fair bit, but he looks like he has really hard hands. Done pretty well for himself so far so I'm surprised you lot aren't screaming his name in every other thread..
Always seems to score truckloads of runs, so I think most NZers are hopeful for him, but at the same time there are technical deficiencies or attributes that could curtail his success. He's been discussed a lot​ in the NZ domestic thread.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Can you ban people for using the term mansplain? Or at least give them a severe flogging?

Anyway, Reason's contempt for women's sport is alarming. It's oddly inconsistent too, as he tends to be quite liberal in other areas.
I don't believe he has contempt for women's sport as a general rule - he's actually very knowledgeable of women's golf.

Before I go on, I believe him to be a troll and all that is wrong with modern 'journalism' on a lot of occasions.

However, whilst he took it way too far by saying netball was a nonsense and shouldn't be played, and saying female cricketers should bow down to Chris Gayle etc, I'm firmly in the camp of revenue=opportunity. My heart didn't bleed when the women at the T20 World Cup were flying economy while the men flew business. I do not believe for a second women should be on parity for prize money in tennis tournaments. That's not equality. What motivation does women's cricket have to get better and actually contribute to the coffers if they receive an equal share for far less than parity in revenue?

jcas0167

International Debutant
Oh boo hoo. It's a term for a reason and was entirely applicable here.
There is always a reason ***ist or racist terms come about. There are also reasons not to use them, as is the case with the risible expression mansplaining.

I don't believe he has contempt for women's sport as a general rule - he's actually very knowledgeable of women's golf.

Before I go on, I believe him to be a troll and all that is wrong with modern 'journalism' on a lot of occasions.

However, whilst he took it way too far by saying netball was a nonsense and shouldn't be played, and saying female cricketers should bow down to Chris Gayle etc, I'm firmly in the camp of revenue=opportunity. My heart didn't bleed when the women at the T20 World Cup were flying economy while the men flew business. I do not believe for a second women should be on parity for prize money in tennis tournaments. That's not equality. What motivation does women's cricket have to get better and actually contribute to the coffers if they receive an equal share for far less than parity in revenue?
Yes, fair point on Reason's knowledge of women's golf (I generally enjoy Reason's articles, even if he can go over the top trying to stir people up). In terms of prize money, it certainly makes commercial sense in cricket that there would be a significant disparity at present. Interesting BBC survey on prize money in sports from a couple of years ago - found of the 35 where prize money was paid 25 pay equal prize money for men & women. The biggest disparities in prize money were found in football, cricket, golf, darts, snooker and squash (although in darts & snooker it is open entry to the world championships if you qualify).

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
There is always a reason ***ist or racist terms come about. There are also reasons not to use them, as is the case with the risible expression mansplaining.
Eh, that descended into being a "not all men" article pretty fast. We know literally anyone can do this this style of explaining about a particular subject. If I use mansplain, I don't imply that this is something all men do but it is a particular thing some men do and it happens often enough to have a name. And

Except there are lots of men who don’t mansplain, and who would rightly be a little irritated by the assumption that something in their chromosomes or genitalia or gender identity somehow operates to make them all susceptible to a particular shared behavior.
I don't get irritated one bit.

NZTailender

nah I do get irritated by that
Also it's not really implying there's anything genetically inherent that we do it - it's all a social construct, thanks to years of ***ism, that compels some men that they need to explain things in such a manner. If you jump onto that former argument you're missing the larger point, which itself is inherent in mansplaining.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Also it's not really implying there's anything genetically inherent that we do it - it's all a social construct, thanks to years of ***ism, that compels some men that they need to explain things in such a manner. If you jump onto that former argument you're missing the larger point, which itself is inherent in mansplaining.
sure, but it's just a lazy way of doing things as pointed out in the article:

"Folks, there are few things as deeply satisfying as deconstructing a dude’s ****** argument point by point. "

even basic socratic method is enough to make these guys re-evaluate and/or look and feel stupid.

And anyway, why even deal in social constructs? TEAR DOWN THE SKY!!!!!

NZTailender

sure, but it's just a lazy way of doing things as pointed out in the article:

"Folks, there are few things as deeply satisfying as deconstructing a dude’s ****** argument point by point. "

even basic socratic method is enough to make these guys re-evaluate and/or look and feel stupid.

And anyway, why even deal in social constructs? TEAR DOWN THE SKY!!!!!
It you're having a discussion, and some dude comes in with a **** argument that's beside the point, there isn't a responsibility to rip it apart and satisfy their line of argument. The whole reason why the word exists is because of the frustration of this thing that happens quite often which isn't at all constructive, circles the point at hand and derails things.

Further, if people who use this term think all men do it and it's part of their genetic make up in some way, they're an idiot.

If you think when someone uses this term, that they mean the above, you're an idiot.

Basically the world is full of idiots.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Eh, that descended into being a "not all men" article pretty fast. We know literally anyone can do this this style of explaining about a particular subject. If I use mansplain, I don't imply that this is something all men do but it is a particular thing some men do and it happens often enough to have a name. And

I don't get irritated one bit.
As I said, there are reasons various ***ist or racist expressions come about. The fact that there might be an underlying statistical basis for people to come up with a ***ist descriptor of a given behaviour, based on that statistical reality, doesn't mean it should be acceptable to use it.

The 'not all men' argument is literally the first point she makes before raising several other problems with using what is effectively an ad hominem way to demonise someone. It's not conducive to constructive discussion, which is presumably why in some discussion/debate forums it's banned from use (along with 'femsplaining' a term I hadn't come across before).

Off-topic, but something random and NZ cricket related - has anyone seen the show 'Married at First Sight'? I tuned in last night (it was painful viewing). One of the 'experts' who helps select the partners, is former Wellington opening batsman John Aiken. In the mid-90's I remember he seemed pretty close to a NZ call-up.

Last edited:

NZTailender

As I said, there are reasons various ***ist or racist expressions come about. The fact that there might be an underlying statistical basis for people to come up with a ***ist descriptor of a given behaviour, based on that statistical reality, doesn't mean it should be acceptable to use it.
I've only ever seen it used either 1) in articles defining what it is/talking about it and 2) after someone has mansplained something, so it's for me it's a retroactive descriptor of someone doing a dickish thing.

The 'not all men' argument is literally the first point she makes before raising several other problems with using what is effectively an ad hominem way to demonise someone. It's not conducive to constructive discussion, which is presumably why in some discussion/debate forums it's banned from use (along with 'femsplaining' a term I hadn't come across before).
Except mansplaining itself isn't a conducive or constructive discussion technique/avenue in the first place. If it was, it wouldn't have this label. If it demonises people who feel the need to explain what's already the blatantly obvious in an overtly ***ist manner which is beside the discussion then they deserve to be demonised until they learn that they're just ****ing wrong. However using mansplain arbitrarily to describe anything said by a man in an argument/discussion is obviously erroneous too. But I've never seen that happen.

also lol reddit

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Thought for the day. Latham is not far away from having a big breakthrough season at test level.

I think he is a fine player and with time will improve and tighten his game.

Would benefit from either time in county cricket or even plunket scoring more centuries.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Should be doing big, 5+ hour cycling sessions 3x per week, along with working on mental conditioning as physical and mental fatigue are the issues.