• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket at the Olympics

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Their reason for rejecting the Olympics is essentially we're too busy sucking the at teats of our TV broadcaster overlords & grubbing money away as fast as we can to bother with it. Also, we'd get less money and control, and now that you schmucks have made us dictators-for-life, we don't really care what you think.

Never mind that even Steve Waugh has said that just winning a silver at the Commonwealth games was a high point in his career or the benefits to development that a tournament at the games would bring (well, because that's another thing that they won't be doing anymore anyway)

viriya

International Captain
I think it's not about trying to get the best teams to the Olympics - even for football/soccer that doesn't happen. The point is to make countries like China/USA automatically interested in fielding a "competitive" team because of the desire for more medals - it would push countries with no cricket program to start one and ones that have minor ones to fund them more..

The main cricketing countries can just send a second string side - as long as they win the medals that's all that matters.

Howsie

International Captain
I understand why England don't like the idea of it (it's stupid but I understand), but why exactly are India so deadset against it?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I understand why England don't like the idea of it (it's stupid but I understand), but why exactly are India so deadset against it?
"One of the BCCI's objections to joining the Olympics is their concern over giving up its 'member autonomy'. Over the last few years, the BCCI has steadfastly kept its distance from the Indian Olympic Association as well as the sports ministry. There is a view in the BCCI that if the national team participates in multi-discipline games their position may come under scrutiny."