• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Larwood 'medium paced'

watson

Banned
Bob Crockett was a leading Australian umpire from 1901 and 1925 during which time he stood in 32 Tests. Wisden commented that; "He was held in high regard by everyone for his accurate decisions. Recognised by cricketers the world over as one of the finest umpires of his time, his quiet demeanour, unfailing good humour and strict impartiality endeared him to all players with whom he came in contact."

Bob Crockett | Australia Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

After he retired from umpiring he began writing for the South Australian newspaper THE MAIL. Here is one of his editorials from 31st December 1932.

It should be noted that the date corresponds to Day 2 of the second Test in Melbourne during the Bodyline Series. Australia ended up winning the second Test by 111 runs thanks to a not out century by Bradman in the second innings, and a 10 wicket haul by Bill O'Reilly.

Fast Bowlers I've Known

By R. M. (Bob) CROCKETT, the World-famous Cricket Umpire

Ernie Jones Acclaimed the Fastest — Australians have faced greater men than Larwood and Voce without flinching - 'Squealing' was discountenanced in pre-War days — Australia favored for the Ashes.

WHAT is all this fuss about fast bowling? It has so captured the public mind that one might be forgiven for thinking that Jardlne and his men had introduced something new Into the glorious game of cricket. It is highly amusing to have an awe-stricken Australian steal to my side (I usually sit under the canopy in the members' reserve at the M.C.G.) and ask with oh! so serious an expression, 'What do yon think of this fast bowling attack? ls it playing the game?' Of course, it is. There have been fast bowlers in the past who, by comparison, would have made Larwood a medium-paced bowler. Batsmen were hit in those days, but nobody complained! I recall that on one occasion W. Barnes (not Sid the bowler) was hit by an Australian bowler, who offered his apologies. Barnes, how ever, brushed them aside with 'Serve me dam well right; haven't I got a bat in ma band?' And that was the philosophy of the great batsmen of other days. Today our batsmen go out to bat covered with armor almost like a knight-at-arms. There is the thigh padding, the chest protector, and a covering for the forearm. Perhaps they have caught the spirit of ancient days, and believe that they, too, must slay a dragon. To me this extra protection suggests a lack of courage, a dearth of enterprise and no confidence — summed up, an inferiority complex. Although I have seen fewer than a dozen international fast bowlers I believe I have seen the best the game has produced. To name the men I have been associated with, there were Tom Richardon, W. H. Lockwood, and Arthur Fielder, of England; and for Australia Ernie Jones, Albert Cotter, Jack Gregory, and Ted McDonald. Here was talent that might have over-awed any batting list, but the contemporary batsmen accepted fast bowling as part of the game.

Batsmen were hit very often, but there was no outcry; and many a sound pasting the bowlers received? I recall a game in South Australia where Victoria were the visitors. Ernie Jones was rolling them in at his top pace, but was meeting with little success. Jim Giller, who can be found still at the South Melbourne Cricket Ground was piling on runs at the expense of 'Jonah.' Ernie had been hit to every part of the field, and after such an over he could contain himself no longer. 'Bob, this chap is making me look like a school boy. What am I to do?' he asked.

"Jonah's" Pace

Now Jones was the fastest bowler of all time, and a good bowler at that. He was yards faster than Larwood, yet the batsmen of his day played him with confidence, and more often than not hit him about. 'Jonah' hit many batsmen, but be scorned the suggestion that it was deliberate. Nor would any batsman of that day have believed that Jones was bowling at his body. Both accepted the knocks as part of the game. On one occasion in England Jones hit Jackson, the English captain. While Jackson was writhing in pain the late Harry Graham went across to Jones and asked, 'Where did you hit Mr. Jackson?' He laid a slight emphasis on the Mr. That was 'Jonah's' cue. In the stomach, of course; where did you think I would hit the Honorable MB. Jackson?' The Englishman Lockwood was a devil may care fellow. On one occasion, to win a wager, he jumped off a boat into the Sydney Harbor and tried to swim ashore. Tom Richardson had plenty of pace, but here is a secret. I always had a suspicion that be threw his fastest ball. I was never sufficiently sure to no-ball him, but I never ceased watching his delivery. To illustrate what I mean by the initiative by oldtime batsmen, Harry Graham and Albert Trott were forced to face Richardson on a damaged wicket in Sydney. It was dangerous work, and many a resounding clout both batsmen received. The Little Dasher, as Graham was called, made light of the bowling, and knocked up a sound hundred. Albert Trott was not out for 76. The Englishmen were very disappointed at not having captured Trott's wicket, and Brockwell remarked, 'We have never been able to get Trott out in a Test match'.

Defence Attacked

The tactics of the fast bowlers of the past varied according to their natural swing; how ever, they wasted little time in bowling outside the stumps. They attacked the batsman's defence all the time. Fielder, whom I consider to be the best fast bowler I have seen, would pitch on the stumps, but his outswerve would carry the ball away outside the off stump. Fielder lacked concentration, but for this I blame his captains. They allowed him to maintain a general plan of attack. Often the field was not set for a surprise move by Fielder, and his figures suffered. Had his captain made him concentrate, as Noble or Armstrong would have done, the field and the bowler would have worked in harmony and with greater success. Fielder was a right hander with a high delivery. He ran a fairish way, and the delivery of the ball was full of body swing. His ability to make the ball swerve and nip made him dangerous. - As I have already said, Ernie Jones was the fastest bowler I have seen. He took a long run and throw his whole weight into the delivery. Jones, although bowling with such pace, was able to turn the ball back from the off. He was a great comedian — a man with whom it was a pleasure to play. Nevertheless, he played the game hard, and would never apologise if he hit a batsman. He just smiled, and made ready for the next delivery. Jones believed that it was the batsman's fault if he was hit. It was a view the bats men hurried to accept themselves. We could do with a little of that spirit today. Albert ('Tibby') Cotter, in some respects, resembled Jones, but his delivery was lower.

The manner in which he made the ball kick up at the last moment always puzzled me. Cotter kicked higher than Jones, and on one occasion R. E. Foster and Johnny Tyldesley were having a hot time. Foster said to Tyldesley in my hearing, 'It is not worth while trying to play this fellow, Johnny; look after yourself.' I mentioned the conversation to several of his team-mates, and they were disgusted with Foster's attitude. 'Haven't we had to play Tom Richardson on worse wickets than this?' asked one. Anything savoring of a squeal was discountenanced by the pre-war batsmen. - The greatest fast bowling attack either country has sent into the field was that supplied, by Gregory and McDonald. They were great bowlers here, but in England were almost unplayable. The manner In which Gregory made the ball kick and the immaculate length of McDonald was the combination ideal for unsettling opening batsmen. Yet I have never thought for a moment that either bowled at file man. Both hit batsmen and hurt them, but it was part of a Test match. Neither man, however, placed a leg field. Great as Larwood and Voce might be, Australian batsmen have met even greater without flinching. The only left-hand bowler comparable with Voce was F.R. Foster. Foster was a really dangerous bowler, and in Adelaide repeatedly pitched outside the off stump and repeatedly hit Trumper on the legs. For a moment Trumper was annoyed and ac cused Foster of bowling at his body. When I pointed out that Foster was pitching outside the stumps, and that it was his swing that was doing the damage, Trumper was satisfied and apologised. Foster swung the ball so much that I never gave an L.B.W decision in his favour. One of the most promising fast left-handers Australia has produced was J. R. Massie of New South Wales. War injuries ruined what might have been a brilliant career. If you are searching for the Ideal fast bowler you must find a man who has strength and stamina. His delivery- should be high and his nip from the pitch a feature. Above all things, he must be intelligent rather than mechanical. Today cricket is replete with bowlers who are mechanical but who lack cricket instinct. I think it is a bogey to excuse mediocre bowling by blaming the wickets. A good bowler is a good bowler on any wicket. A fast bowler is essesntial but previously the mainline of attack was the spin bowlers. The fast bowler should be considered in the light of an unsettling influence, and any team that relies solely on fast bowling is a weak team.

Ironmonger Best

I consider Ironmonger to be the best bowler among the English or the Australians. He is a terror under any conditions, but if the wicket is damp or worn Ironmonger is almost unplayable. Some have questioned his delivery. I have taken particular pains to study Ironmonger's action, and have no doubt as to its fairness. It Is absurd to question his bowling.The batsmen of today rank with those of other years, but I would qualify this by pointing out that the bowlers of today are not nearly so good as the bowlers of the pre-war generation. Farther, today some really good batsmen are content to allow the runs to come along as opportunities are presented. They lack initiative. Their forefathers made the opportunities that presented them with the runs. Our batsmen should master their footwork and not be content with the repertoire of two or three scoring strokes. Too often I have seen bowling that has been anything but hostile treated with great respect. Batsmen of today should get to the ball more quickly and steer it through the unguarded places in the field. There is nothing like batting enterprise to unsettle a strong attack. Who will win the Ashes? I still like Australia, but time will tell.

BOB CROCKETT

31 Dec 1932 - Fast Bowlers I've Known
The editorial is facinating because it either gives us an interesting window into cricket during the 1930s, or because it challenges some of our preconceived ideas. For example;

1. Not all Australians had opinions that were automatically critical of Jardine and Larwood.
2. Larwood was a 'medium paced' bowler when compared to some PreWWI quicks such as Ernie Jones who was 'yards faster'.
3. Arthur Fielder was an outstanding fast bowler.
4. Batsman during the 1930s did wear 'armour', and they weren't all brave.
5. Tom Richardson may have chucked his 'fastest ball'.
6. The greatest fast bowling attack to the 1930s was Gregory and McDonald. Gregory made the ball 'kick' and McDonald bowled an 'immaculate length'.
7. Frank Foster was comparable to Bill Voce and swung the ball back into the batsman's body.
8. 'any team that relies solely on fast bowling is a weak team'
9. Bert Ironmonger was an outstanding bowler.
10. 'The batsmen of today rank with those of other years, but I would qualify this by pointing out that the bowlers of today are not nearly so good as the bowlers of the pre-war generation.'

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Fair enough if it is reckoned there were bowlers quicker than Larwood before him, but I don't accept that Larwood was medium paced at all. There is enough footage of him to see that he was quick enough to earn the classification "fast".

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clearly a piece designed to sell newspapers rather than to inform or enlighten its readership

watson

Banned
Fair enough if it is reckoned there were bowlers quicker than Larwood before him, but I don't accept that Larwood was medium paced at all. There is enough footage of him to see that he was quick enough to earn the classification "fast".
'Medium paced' is not meant to be taken literally. It is a piece of hyperbole used by the Crockett to reinforce a point. That is, he is reminding his Australian readership that Larwood should be nothing new and scary to them as Larwood's kind have been around for 40 years or more.

What I find facinating is that Jones, Cotter, Fielder, and so forth could have been near Larwood's pace. My preconceived idea is that 19th century, or early 20th century bowlers, weren't very fast at all in comparison.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Another non-.cricketing reason that I find the article interesting is that Crockett used hyperbole at all. I assumed that the modern British tabloid press invented 'sensationalism', but obviously it's been ubiquitous for a long time now. And from an era that we normally think more reserved and stoic.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Another non-.cricketing reason that I find the article interesting is that Crockett used hypobole at all. I assumed that the modern British tabloid press invented 'sensationalism', but obviously it's been ubiquitous for a long time now. And from an era that we normally think more reserved and stoic.
Indeed - I wonder if it was just the furore over Bodyline that caused it?

You'll have to go through the archive for the 28/29 series and let us know :)

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm with how_zat on this. It's always good to have the received wisdom challenged. But whenever any retired sportsman (or umpire) drones on along the lines of "In my day, fast bowlers were proper fast and batsmen were proper men", or more generally "in my day, the sport was better", I find it difficult to pay too much attention.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, agreed - interesting as this is, the principal take-away from it is confirmation that the it-was-better-in-my-day sentiment is hardly a new phenomenon.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I'm with how_zat on this. It's always good to have the received wisdom challenged. But whenever any retired sportsman (or umpire) drones on along the lines of "In my day, fast bowlers were proper fast and batsmen were proper men", or more generally "in my day, the sport was better", I find it difficult to pay too much attention.
Absolutely, it is good to have ideas and established truths challenged. It makes us take a second look and review. I have taken a second look and reviewed and Larwood was quick :)

BeeGee

International Captain
My preconceived idea is that 19th century, or early 20th century bowlers, weren't very fast at all in comparison.
The moral of the story is stop forming preconceived ideas. About anything. Ever.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Henry Thornton - Harold Larwood, the Unlikely Australian

Excerpt from the above article by Roger Underwood

I particularly liked the Australian Test player Bill O’Reilly’s description of batting against Larwood:

He came steaming in, and I moved right across behind my bat, held perfectly straight in defence of my middle stump. Just before he delivered the ball, something hit the middle of my bat with such force as to almost dash it from my hands. It was the ball.

The great commentator John Arlott observed: “Sometimes, depending on where you were standing, you couldn’t pick up the ball with the naked eye at all.”

Douglas Jardine himself had an opportunity to assess the young Larwood when they first played against each other in a county match. Jardine had been sceptical of reports about the young speedster, but changed his mind after the first three balls he faced. Jardine’s teammate Percy Fender recalled:

Larwood’s first ball was being returned by the wicketkeeper Lilley as Jardine completed his stroke. The second ball was on its way through to Lilley when the stroke was completed. On the third ball, Douglas finally made contact. Later Larwood clean bowled him, Jardine again beaten for pace.

An intriguing aspect of his pace was that Larwood stood only five feet seven and a half inches tall—the same height as the great Australian tennis player Ken Rosewall, who was usually described by commentators as “diminutive”. The ability to make a ball rise sharply off a good length, which was Larwood’s trademark, is all the more remarkable when you consider it was delivered from such a low height. The two secrets were his strength (he was deep-chested and had powerful shoulders) and his technique, honed by countless hours of practice under the eye of Iremonger.

harsh.ag

I have a feeling what may have happened was that Larwood was a medium pacer in the early years when some people formed their opinion of him, and then really increased his speed later on with experience.

watson

Banned
I think that I'm regretting calling the thread Larwood 'medium paced' because I'm far more interested in the pace of Larwood's predecessors. The real question is not whether was Larwood fast, because everyone knows that he was. Rather the real question is whether bowlers like Jones and Cotter were quicker as the good umpire claimed? Or if not quicker, then equally as quick?

Crockett also claimed that;

The batsmen of today rank with those of other years, but I would qualify this by pointing out that the bowlers of today are not nearly so good as the bowlers of the pre-war generation.
Obviously the words 'not nearly so good' are a piece of journalistic hyperbole like 'Larwood medium paced'. But I don't think that Crockett was deliberately lying or deceiving. To some degree he would have believed that some PrewWWI bowlers were faster than Larwood (by a small percentage in reality), and that on the whole they were superior.

All of these claims surprise me, and so I am wondering how true they are?

Incidently, if I claim that the fast bowlers 'my time' (1975 to 1985) were clearly superior to the fast bowlers of every other decade then I really mean it. I am not merely parroting the 'everything was better in my day' cliche because I actually and truly believe that they were. And of course it's reasonably likely that I'm right. The same sort of principle applies to Crockett's claim - if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
You might be interested to read Jack Hobbs' views on the development of cricket during his era, taken from Wisden 1935.

Jack Hobbs said:
THE HOBBS ERA
Jack Hobbs

My career in first-class cricket having, after a very happy period, reached its end, I gladly comply with the request of the Editor of Wisden’s Almanack to jot down some personal impressions which may be of interest to present and future readers of the book.

The honour has been done me of referring to the period of my active participation in important cricket as "The Hobbs Era", and I should like to say at once how mindful I am of this distinction. Roughly thirty years have gone by since I first played for Surrey under the residential qualification, and nothing has ever occurred to cause me the slightest regret that I took the advice of Tom Hayward and migrated from Cambridge to London. Without blowing my own trumpet I can say that when I went to the Oval I knew pretty well my own capabilities; it was just a question as to how great I should find the difference between first-class and Minor Counties cricket. The feeling was strong within me that I could make good, but I little thought then that I should achieve the success in an even higher sphere of cricket than that to which I was then aspiring, or that I should be the first man to beat the record of that wonderful batsman, W. G. Grace, in the matter of making centuries. However, this article is not meant to be a statement of what I myself have accomplished; the purport of it is to give in some slight degree my ideas on the changes that have come about in the game—whether of improvement or otherwise—and the points that have struck me as being worthy of mention.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIRTY YEARS IN CRICKET.
The era to which my name has been given by you, Mr. Editor, covers first-class cricket from 1903 to 1933. The War came to rob all of us of four solid years of the game, and although I played a little last summer I think that I really finished in 1933 when at 50 years of age after, roughly, 30 seasons at the Oval, I was beginning to feel that the strain of the game day after day was getting just a little too much for me. There was also the fact that younger players were knocking at the door, and that it did not become me, having had a longer innings than most cricketers of modern days, to stand in the way of promising recruits who wanted to feel that their positions in a county eleven were secure. So even though I scored one century last season I still fall short by three of the two hundred I had fondly hoped to obtain. Records after all are ephemeral; they are only made to be beaten by somebody else, and while it is nice to think that one has accomplished something out of the common there are other and more important considerations to bear in mind. The new leg-before-wicket rule, which is being tried experimentally may, if adopted, have a far-reaching effect on batsmen, but at the back of my mind there is the impression that someone will come along one of these days and surpass the 197 hundreds which now stand to my credit.

Before my time there were other epochs in our great game. The days of top-hats, when Alfred Mynn, the Lion of Kent and other famous men were in their prime, are now far distant. Then came the Grace period when that marvellous batsman stood out head and shoulders above everybody else; the Hon. F. S. Jackson, Ranjitsinhji, G. L. Jessop, Tom Hayward, C. B. Fry, A. C. MacLaren, George Hirst, J. T. Tyldesley, Victor Trumper, M. A. Noble and others too numerous to mention were contemporaries in what has been described as the Golden Age of cricket. It will be seen therefore that my own follows in a natural sequence in this recurring cycle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IS CRICKET BETTER?
As to whether during the past thirty years cricket generally has been better or worse than those periods to which I have referred is not perhaps for me to say. Cricket was at its very best in that Golden Age when almost every county had one, if not two or three outstanding personalities either as batsmen or bowlers.

I do not agree, however, with the oft-repeated statement that cricket nowadays is not what it used to be, and I would ask why, when in the ordinary affairs of every-day life as well as in most other games we have gone ahead, cricket should be singled out as an example of deterioration in all-round form and skill? We know that, in a broad sense, wickets are more favourable to run-getting, and while I do not hold with the over-preparation of pitches and the use of various forms of "dope" to achieve perfection and make the batsman’s task easier, it must always be remembered that, with a heavier programme now necessary owing to the increase of first-class counties since the days shortly before my advent, cricket grounds are subjected to far harder wear.

But it should not be overlooked that there were several county enclosures before say 1900 where the wickets were really good, and one has only to look up the records to find that big scores were made at the Oval before swerve bowlers came into existence, and when length, allied to spin, was the first consideration. Not wickets were bad, as many people seem to think. The one important difference between those of my early times and those of the present is that you very, very rarely see a real sticky wicket nowadays. Over-preparation is the cause of this, and probably the system in use at certain centres of covering the pitch completely before the match has also had something to do with it. That, however, brings you to another consideration, that of finance. Many county clubs are often hard put to it to make both ends meet. If rain not only prevents play for a long time but in the end hastens the completion of a match, measures have to be adopted to mitigate to undue loss of time.

Efforts have been made more than once, because of the heavy programmes and constant play day after day, to limit first-class matches to two days. I am not altogether opposed to this; in fact I would ask: why not two-day matches of one innings each? That would give a lot of our professionals a much needed rest and, as far as I can see, the main argument against this would come from professionals themselves because they would not be able to earn quite as much as they do now. Possibly, however, that is a question which time will solve.

SOME CHANGES.
I have always regarded it as curious that while most of the changes in cricket in my thirty years have been in favour of the bowler, such as the smaller ball and the wider wicket, bowling generally, in my opinion, has deteriorated. There are very few outstanding bowlers of real class to-day, and I remember that just after the War, when admittedly things had changed a good deal, bowlers opened for their sides who weren’t considered prior to 1914. Everyone nowadays seems to want to bowl the in-swinger. This is absurd, for my experience is that this particular ball is not so dangerous as the one which goes away from you. It has led to what I should call "negative cricket". Bowlers adopting this method try rather to keep the batsman quiet than to get him out. The result of this is that back-play has developed to a large extent and on-side play has increased out of all proportion, to the detriment of off-side batting. But then it must be remembered that it is very difficult indeed to drive an in-swinging ball on the off-side, and with bowlers keeping just short of a length, as modern bowlers do, the natural tendency of a batsman, at any rate since the War, has been to step back and play the ball to the on.

In regard to this it would seem that the new leg-before-wicket rule is going to make things difficult for opening batsmen, and the in-swinging ball is more dangerous under this rule than the off-spinner. You can see and, to a degree, anticipate off-spinners better, and an in-swinger seems to come off dry ground much quicker. That, therefore, is one of the big changes I have noticed in the style of batting during my era. In my early days youngsters were taught to play forward, and it was the accepted theory that one only played back when the wicket was soft and the ball was turning. Now, batsmen play back on a hard wicket largely because, as I have said of the preponderance of in-swinging bowlers who keep just short of a length. Consequently, young bowlers, seeing that this type of attack cannot be driven to the off, very rarely try to make themselves spin bowlers pure and simple. I know, of course, that it is not given to everyone to keep such a perfect length as J. T. Hearne or Albert Relf used to. They would bowl all the afternoon and scarcely give you six balls that you could hit with safety.

While bowling, particularly as regards length, has gone back, batting in a certain way has advanced. The means have been found to contend with the swing, but at the expense of many of those glorious off-side strokes for which our predecessors were famous, and it is only when an over-pitched ball comes along that you can drive it to the off. Even then, when it does come, your feet may be wrong and you are too late to get into position.

There is one point about the improvement in batting to which I should like to draw attention, and that is that it is not confined to those in the first half of the order. Even in my early days we seldom expected or saw the last four men stay very long. Nowadays Numbers 8, 9, 10 and 11 all come in, not so much to have a wild swipe, but to play for runs; and they very often obtain them. This, of course, may be considered to be partly due to the decline in bowling. Back-play, too, has been the means of driving the off-spinner largely out of the game, and figures clearly show that batsmen, even when allowance is made for a great deal of extra cricket which they play, generally get far more runs now than they used to do.

ON FIELDING.
It is a little difficult to say definitely if fielding has improved. Individually it may not have done, but collectively I think it has. Thirty years ago, the positions of mid-on and short-leg were both known as "Mugs’ Corner". The captain looked round and almost invariably put his two incompetent fieldsmen in those places. I have never agreed that mid-on’s was an easy job. You have to watch the batsman and anticipate his stroke, and you have to be quick off the mark when you field there. Only in recent years have we awakened to this fact, while men like "Bill" Hitch made short-leg an honourable position in which to field. Hammond is my ideal fieldsman. He would be great anywhere, and Mitchell of Yorkshire runs him very close. No matter where they are put these two men can be right at the top, and it has often struck me that Hammond’s fielding would very likely have been far more extensively talked-of had he been an outfielder, while it is certain he would do wonderful work at cover-point. With regard to the placing of the field there can be no question at all that this has engaged the attention of captains to a far greater degree than it used to and consequently it is better. The Australians, for instance, have developed the study of this to such an extent that they are now much better than we in England at placing their fieldsmen to stop runs, and the increase in on-side strokes by batsmen has led to two or three men being placed on the leg-side when in my early days there was only one. This is not meant as a reference to "body-line" bowling. My views on that are well known. I deplore its introduction. I think it has done great harm to the game, because it fosters a spirit foreign to the traditions of cricket and which certainly never existed when I first came on the scene.

I think the development of the county championship in regard to the number of counties now competing is rather to be regretted. There are too many counties—some of them, I am afraid, not quite up to the best standard—and we in England have got a false opinion of the strength of our cricket. The trouble is that, against the weaker counties, players get plenty of runs and wickets and they are thought at once to be Test Match cricketers. It is much harder now to pick a team for a Test Match than it was thirty years ago. The field of choice is so much wider and the all-round standard consequently more on a level—especially in the County averages.

HAMMOND AND HENDREN.
Since I started, the hook and the leg-glide have become common strokes, and I always had the idea too, that before my time it was considered rather infra dig to hook a ball round to the leg-side. Nowadays, batsmen will step right across and hook a ball from wide of the off-stump round to square-leg. Hammond is the great exception. He won’t hook. He considers it a dangerous stroke and I remember once, the first time I saw him, he persisted in playing balls which the ordinary batsmen would have hooked, hard back either to mid-on or mid-off. But then Hammond, as a batsman, is a law unto himself. He can step right back and force the short ball to the off, but not many men possess such power of wrist and forearm, and quickness on the feet, to be able to do that. Pat Hendren is my ideal batsman, for I think he has every stroke for all sorts of wicket against all types of bowling. Had he played thirty or forty years ago he would, I think, have been equally effective.

We saw last season one noticeable feature about the batting of the Australians in the power they put into their strokes. When young, they are taught first to hit the ball; we in England are taught defence. The wickets in Australia are, of course, easier as a general rule than ours. They are the same pace and the ball comes along at a uniform height. Because of this Australian batsmen are for the most part more confident.

"SWINGERS" AND "GOOGLIES"
I have already said that one of the most notable changes in cricket with regard to bowling has been the introduction of "swing" or "swerve". No doubt long before my time bowlers were able to, and probably often did, make the ball swing, but it was not known then how this was brought about and quite likely when it occurred bowlers put it down to an extra strong current of air or some outside influence of a similar kind. The secret of being able to make a ball move about in the air was acquired during my era and at the present time almost anybody with any knowledge of bowling can send down swingers of one sort or the other. It is all a question of how the ball is held in the hand at the moment of delivery and bowlers of this description now come under the general heading of "seam-up" bowlers. Shortly after I began to play first-class cricket came the googly, known in Australia as the "bosie" because it was first discovered by B. J. T. Bosanquet. The South Africans were quick to realise the deadliness of this ball once a command of length had been gained. On the matting wickets in their country they soon perfected it and in G. A. Faulkner, A. E. Vogler, Gordon White and R. O. Schwarz they produced the finest array of googly bowlers ever seen together in one team. W. G. Grace did not, I think, play in an important match against googly bowling but obviously he must have been so very good that he, like many of us later on, would have mastered it. He would have played every ball on its merits.

While on the question of bowling I am definitely of the opinion that during my career the art of flighting the ball has steadily deteriorated. We have nobody now so good at this as Colin Blythe. He was one of the world’s greatest bowlers of his type, and, unlike most of the present-day exponents, was never afraid of being hit. Of fast bowlers the only ones of recent years at all comparable with those giants of the past have been Larwood and McDonald. Being a member of the same county side I only played against N. A. Knox in Gentlemen and Players matches and games of a similar description, when he was probably past his best, but I think he was the best fast bowler I ever saw. He brought the ball down from such a great height that he could often make good length deliveries rear up straight.

The widening of the wicket, which previously had often been advocated, did not, when it came into general use, help bowlers to the extent that had been anticipated and, although a batsman, I personally am all for still wider wickets. When the alteration was made I thought at the time that the decision had not gone quite far enough—not far enough, at any rate, to achieve its main object of putting the bowler on more level terms with the batsman. Events have, I think, proved me to be right.

CHEAP ENGLAND CAPS.
The past thirty years have brought with them a remarkable increase in tours to this country and visits abroad of English teams. As the Mother Country of cricket, England, as represented by the M.C.C., have naturally considered it politic to foster the game overseas but I am of opinion that, on the question of elevating countries like South Africa, West Indies, New Zealand and India to the same rank as Australia in the matter of Test Matches, we have been premature. The vast host of cricket followers throughout the world know in their own minds that there are only two really top-class cricketing countries—England and Australia. Far be from me any idea of throwing cold water on those countries who aspire to the highest status in cricket but when we think that of the numerous teams which have come from South Africa not one has ever won a Test Match in England it makes me wonder why they are put on the same plane as Australia in being allotted five "Tests". I am not forgetting that they, as well as the West Indies, have beaten England in their own Countries. I should not be averse to them having three and I would give the others I have mentioned one each. The honour of wearing the England cap with the three silver lions on it has, I am afraid, become rather cheap since its inception. These Caps should have been awarded only to cricketers who have appeared in England against Australia.

During my years of first-class cricket I do not think captaincy has improved. With one or two exceptions there has been too much chopping and changing about but, of course, other considerations have to be remembered, for amateurs do not find it so easy to spare the time for first-class cricket as their predecessors did. I have often thought that it was a mistake for counties to put an amateur into the team merely to act as captain when he has had little or no experience of county cricket. We had an example last season in Maurice Tate, of how well a professional could acquit himself as leader of a side, but I definitely always prefer to see an amateur rather than a professional captaining England if his cricket ability entitles him to a place in the eleven.

The umpiring has improved all-round, and I should say the two best umpires I have known are "Bob" Crockett of Australia, and Frank Chester. Umpires nowadays are younger than most of those who officiated when I started, and naturally their eyesight and hearing are better.

In the last quarter of a century—and perhaps during a longer time—there has come about a great change for the better in the relations existing between amateurs and professionals. County committees have realised that both on and off the field their players are all members of the same team and professionals are not, as was largely the case some years ago, relegated to incommodious dressing-rooms with no amenities, while, as a general rule, amateurs and professionals now take their luncheon and tea together in the same room. The natural consequence of this, of course, has been a pronounced improvement in the bearing of professional cricketers off the field. The average professional nowadays can, I think, hold his own as a man in any company.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
You might also be interested to read Frank Chester's opinion on the fastest bowler he had seen, taken from his 1956 autobiography. Chester played first class cricket before WWI and umpired in 48 Tests between 1924 and 1955.

Frank Chester said:
Harold Larwood, the Nottinghamshire miner whose bodyline theory erupted the cricket world, was positively the Prince of all fast bowlers. But he was NOT the fastest. I shall surprise for that distinction a bowler whose name few of the modern generation (that was half a century ago) have heard - W B Burns, who was killed in the first world war.

For a few overs his speed was greater than anything I have ever seen but he was erratic and therefore could not make the top flight.

He was a dark, good looking fellow, and short like Larwood. Burns' only other resemblance with Larwood was a lovely long run upto the wicket. When the ball was released it whistled like the wind, but it was rarely in the same direction twice. Some batsmen were genuinely scared of him and retreated rapidly towards leg as he thundered towards them.

One morning, against Hampshire, he was hurtling them down, seemingly quicker than ever, got two wickets and was given a rest. The only batsman to have shaped upto him with some confidence was the defiant George Brown, but even he was somewhat apprehensive.

When Phil Mead joined him and Burns was called for another spell, Brown shouted to mead, Phillip, he is going on again. If he hits you he will pin you to the sightscreen. Later Brown declared. "This man shouldn't be allowed to play. He will kill someone someday."

With such speed, he could not develop accuracy and usually batsmen had to pay more attention to protecting their skins than their wickets. A wild fast bowler is much more dangerous in the physical sense than one who bowls consistently down the line.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Here is a brief article on the subject, actually written by the Australian Press during Bodyline, indicating that Larwood was probably not the fastest bowler in the history of cricket. They give the 'Palm to Kortwright.'

Another article from 1934 (18 months after bodyline) in which Kortwright again gets the nod as the fastest bowler ever.

Here is an Australian article from 1939 discussing the identity of the fastest bowler of all time. Upon a brief perusal, I cannot see Larwood mentioned. And remember, the article was written only 7 years after Bodyline.

A WWI era article, in which it is stated that Syd Gregory (58 Tests between 1890 and 1912) favoured Charles Kortwright over Ernie Jones as the fastest bowler he had seen.

An article from 1919 in which a number of names are mentioned but no definitive answer is given.

Finally, a really excellent article from 1939, titled KORTWRIGHT - CRICKET'S FASTEST BOWLER.

So at the end of Harold Larwood's career, the general consensus appears to be that Charles Kortwright held the edge over the likes of Ernie Jones, J.J. Kotze, Neville Knox, Tibby Cotter, W.B. Burns, Eddie Gilbert and Larwood as the fastest bowler ever seen.

Last edited: