Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hamish Marshall

Tim

Hamish Marshall

So is Marshall the real deal?

11 matches, 1 century/4 fifties at an average of 52.12, an excellent SR of 77 also.
    And he must be saving 10 or 15 runs per match in the field also.

He's only played against Pakistan but Shoaib & Sami aren't the easiest bowlers around. 40* against Pollock, Ntini in South Africa awhile back doesn't harm his credentials either.
    Last edited by Tim; 17-01-2004 at 12:47 PM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    He's been a true surprise package considering his domestic performance. Haven't seen him yet, but I gather he's built his innings nicely.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Tim
    Well he's playing the supporting role nicely, rotating the strike etc at a very good clip too. And he can up the tempo when required, he doesn't seem to get bogged down.

Which begs the question whether NZ should look at his twin brother James, who has the better FC record.

U19 Cricketer
    hows his brothers James going?

He (James) has played the first five or so round at my club for the pats two or three seasons before heading to New Zealand, and he is one of the genuinely nicest guys i've ever come across. Technically, a Good batsmen too......

Tim
    Statistically he's not much better than Hamish at FC level, but thanks to the success of his brother he might get a chance with the NZ team sooner rather than later.

Originally posted by Tim
    Statistically he's not much better than Hamish at FC level, but thanks to the success of his brother he might get a chance with the NZ team sooner rather than later.
    Hamish's success doesn't make James the same player, or even better or worse. Twins doesn't always mean you are the 'same'.

If they do select James because of his brother, that is just stupid when others like Papps and How are piling on the runs.
    I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity - George W. Bush

Tim
    Well im pretty sure the selectors will make the same hunch on James as they did on Hamish.
    James may be a failure, but we don't know until we found out.

Originally posted by Tim
    Well im pretty sure the selectors will make the same hunch on James as they did on Hamish.
    But back then (South Africa) Marshall got selected because we really didn't have many up and coming batsmen up the ranks. But now it's a different story.

They are brothers, twins, but it does not mean they have the same qualities.

He is definatly better then Vincent in the field.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    Marshall has been really good. However its worth noting that he averages under 30 in both forms and his ODI century in Pakistan last year was his 1st ever in any form of the game. I just wonder is he playing above his weight and can we expect him to turn into a Lou Vincent or Matthew Sinclair soon?
    "Matt Damon"

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I am expecting that to be the case.
    You do get the odd case who never performs at domestic level and does in internationals, but they're very rare.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Probably in the late 30s or in the early 40s I predict.

International Debutant
    Originally posted by Tim

James has a couple of big innings under his belt from previous 'A' Team matches or something doesn't he including a double ton in domestic FC..............at least shows he has the temperament for a big innings - unlike some other players are showing in the team atm......

The upcoming 'A' series could give us an indication depending on if there are any 4 day games or if they are all Limited Overs....

I don't think they will consider him as an opening option ahead of Papps & McIntosh, but they may consider him for the middle order.....
    Last edited by anzac; 18-01-2004 at 09:17 AM.

International Debutant
    Originally posted by nibblet
    Marshall has been really good. However its worth noting that he averages under 30 in both forms and his ODI century in Pakistan last year was his 1st ever in any form of the game. I just wonder is he playing above his weight and can we expect him to turn into a Lou Vincent or Matthew Sinclair soon?

only if the selectors start dicking him around regarding playing him out of position & different roles etc..........

considering the consistency he's shown to date (10 games) in comparison to the hit & miss efforts from the likes of Vincent (62), Sinclair(38) & even McCullum (37) & Oram (49) when they started, then he has a long way to go b4 they look to drop him.......

Last edited by anzac; 18-01-2004 at 09:26 AM.

International Debutant
    Originally posted by Richard
    I am expecting that to be the case.
    You do get the odd case who never performs at domestic level and does in internationals, but they're very rare.

maybe so but as I said on another thread the thing that makes me think Marshall could be different is the fact that he made that Test debut 3 seasons ago & did not fail, and now makes his ODI debut in Pakistan in a different format against the fastest opening attack & again has not failed............3 years between drinks but he has managed to step up to the mark on both occaisions says a lot for his temperament ......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information