• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hamish Marshall

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
So is Marshall the real deal?

11 matches, 1 century/4 fifties at an average of 52.12, an excellent SR of 77 also.
And he must be saving 10 or 15 runs per match in the field also.

He's only played against Pakistan but Shoaib & Sami aren't the easiest bowlers around. 40* against Pollock, Ntini in South Africa awhile back doesn't harm his credentials either.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's been a true surprise package considering his domestic performance. Haven't seen him yet, but I gather he's built his innings nicely.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well he's playing the supporting role nicely, rotating the strike etc at a very good clip too. And he can up the tempo when required, he doesn't seem to get bogged down.

Which begs the question whether NZ should look at his twin brother James, who has the better FC record.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
hows his brothers James going?

He (James) has played the first five or so round at my club for the pats two or three seasons before heading to New Zealand, and he is one of the genuinely nicest guys i've ever come across. Technically, a Good batsmen too......

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Statistically he's not much better than Hamish at FC level, but thanks to the success of his brother he might get a chance with the NZ team sooner rather than later.

Mingster

State Regular
Tim said:
Statistically he's not much better than Hamish at FC level, but thanks to the success of his brother he might get a chance with the NZ team sooner rather than later.
Hamish's success doesn't make James the same player, or even better or worse. Twins doesn't always mean you are the 'same'.

If they do select James because of his brother, that is just stupid when others like Papps and How are piling on the runs.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well im pretty sure the selectors will make the same hunch on James as they did on Hamish.
James may be a failure, but we don't know until we found out.

Mingster

State Regular
Tim said:
Well im pretty sure the selectors will make the same hunch on James as they did on Hamish.
But back then (South Africa) Marshall got selected because we really didn't have many up and coming batsmen up the ranks. But now it's a different story.

They are brothers, twins, but it does not mean they have the same qualities.

nibbs

International Captain
Marshall has been really good. However its worth noting that he averages under 30 in both forms and his ODI century in Pakistan last year was his 1st ever in any form of the game. I just wonder is he playing above his weight and can we expect him to turn into a Lou Vincent or Matthew Sinclair soon?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I am expecting that to be the case.
You do get the odd case who never performs at domestic level and does in internationals, but they're very rare.

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:

James has a couple of big innings under his belt from previous 'A' Team matches or something doesn't he including a double ton in domestic FC..............at least shows he has the temperament for a big innings - unlike some other players are showing in the team atm......

The upcoming 'A' series could give us an indication depending on if there are any 4 day games or if they are all Limited Overs....

I don't think they will consider him as an opening option ahead of Papps & McIntosh, but they may consider him for the middle order.....

Last edited:

anzac

International Debutant
nibblet said:
Marshall has been really good. However its worth noting that he averages under 30 in both forms and his ODI century in Pakistan last year was his 1st ever in any form of the game. I just wonder is he playing above his weight and can we expect him to turn into a Lou Vincent or Matthew Sinclair soon?

only if the selectors start dicking him around regarding playing him out of position & different roles etc..........

considering the consistency he's shown to date (10 games) in comparison to the hit & miss efforts from the likes of Vincent (62), Sinclair(38) & even McCullum (37) & Oram (49) when they started, then he has a long way to go b4 they look to drop him.......

:D

Last edited:

anzac

International Debutant
Richard said:
I am expecting that to be the case.
You do get the odd case who never performs at domestic level and does in internationals, but they're very rare.

maybe so but as I said on another thread the thing that makes me think Marshall could be different is the fact that he made that Test debut 3 seasons ago & did not fail, and now makes his ODI debut in Pakistan in a different format against the fastest opening attack & again has not failed............3 years between drinks but he has managed to step up to the mark on both occaisions says a lot for his temperament ......

Kent

State 12th Man
The likes of Tama Canning send shivers down Marshall's spine from the scorecards I've looked back on. He also has an appalling dismissal rate (it could be up to 40%) against our domestic spinners, even part-timers like Horne and Nicol. It's ironic that he batted so well with McMillan, a guy who's often taken the p*ss out of provincial spinners since he was a teenager.

To be fair, I think we could all see from that ramp shot he played against Shoaib that Marshall *really* prefers pace, rather than a Canning/Eden Park combo of miserable slowness. He'll probably get the hang of it eventually, but the last thing I want him to do is change his natural game just for better FC results.

Canning can have him as his bunny for all I care!

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Auckland with their ridiculous pace attack are doing NZ no favours by opening the bowling with Tama Canning & Paul Hitchcock followed up by the slow medium bowling of Craig Pryor.

Sure its effective for them & they want to keep a winning formula but surely they also need to think about the interests of NZ Cricket and there's no way that guys like Canning & Pryor are going to be picked to open the bowling for NZ.

They should pick 1 guy who's extremely quick & even if he's not always accurate, at least domestic players will be facing some genuine pace.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Peter Fulton is in fine form at the moment, his last 2 innings have been 63* & 76*. Hopefully we get to see him continue that when Sky show N.D v Canterbury live on Wednesday.

Kent

State 12th Man
Like you said about Auckland, I look forward to Butler v. Fulton and Papps.

We all know how good they are at dominating pretty friendly attacks, but one of Butler's many direct hits at State level was Papps' nose, in a televised match last summer.

Kent

State 12th Man
MHW Papps retired hurt on 6 from 19/2 to 262/8 (5.1 overs; struck on the nose by a short pitched ball from IG Butler)

http://nz.cricinfo.com/link_to_data...HLD/SCORECARDS/CANT_ND_STSHLD_22JAN2003.html