• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hamish Marshall

Mingster

State Regular
Tim said:
Auckland with their ridiculous pace attack are doing NZ no favours by opening the bowling with Tama Canning & Paul Hitchcock followed up by the slow medium bowling of Craig Pryor.

Sure its effective for them & they want to keep a winning formula but surely they also need to think about the interests of NZ Cricket and there's no way that guys like Canning & Pryor are going to be picked to open the bowling for NZ.

They should pick 1 guy who's extremely quick & even if he's not always accurate, at least domestic players will be facing some genuine pace.
No. Auckland are actually opening up with Kerry Walmsley and Tama Canning. How can you blame them? They are missing their frontline seamers in Kyle Mills and Andre Adams, and they've had to re-adjust. Pryor has not opened the bowling for Auckland this season.

Sherlock is being left out of the CD side, and he is faster than Butler and not that far behind Bond. Blame CD then.

Kent

State 12th Man
Mingster said:
No. Auckland are actually opening up with Kerry Walmsley and Tama Canning. How can you blame them? They are missing their frontline seamers in Kyle Mills and Andre Adams, and they've had to re-adjust. Pryor has not opened the bowling for Auckland this season.

Sherlock is being left out of the CD side, and he is faster than Butler and not that far behind Bond. Blame CD then.
Fair points. I'd like to see Sky get their new-and-improved radar out for the domestic games though. If we can't make better pitches, expose these dribbly seamers like weeds I say!

Sherlock faster than Butler?! When is Andrew Shwass going to make his NZ debut...

Bond (154 max, mid 140's ave.)
Sherlock (?)
Butler (147 max, hi 130's ave.)
Adams (141 max, mid 130's ave.)

Mingster

State Regular
Yeah, Sherlock is faster than Butler according to a mate I know who faced him in the Academy.

All these medium-fast and fast-medium stuff intrigues me. So is Oram fast medium,medium-fast or medium pace? What about Butler? Or even Adams?

Yeah Kent, get those Sky people to put on those radars so we can see how fast the likes of Hamilton, Hefford, Wilson, Scott, Yovich, Gillespie really are!

Dougie Rydal

Cricket Spectator
I've faced Sherlock in club cricket down here, he plays for the Burnside Club at the start and end of each club season, and fair to say he's pretty express. Hard to tell in club cricket though, i've faced Bond, Allott, Chris Martin but sometimes they just go through the motions and don't reach full pace. But i thought Sherlock was bloody quick, amazing when you see him, he's stick thin, and doesn't look like he'd weigh more than 65kgs wringing wet.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The judgement of batsmen on the speeds of bowlers, especially relative speeds, is notoriously poor and until Richard Sherlock has been timed, we can't say he's X kph or faster or slower than anyone.

Mingster

State Regular
Richard said:
The judgement of batsmen on the speeds of bowlers, especially relative speeds, is notoriously poor and until Richard Sherlock has been timed, we can't say he's X kph or faster or slower than anyone.
Um no one did Richard, we were commenting on how fast on is to one another, I don't think Dougie ever said Butler was 3.2323 km/h slower than Sherlock did he now....:rolleyes:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nope, but he did say he's faster than Butler and:
1, the correspondants (Dougie and your mate) have presumably never faced Butler - if they have that wasn't mentioned.
2, I didn't say X kph faster than Y, I said people often say "he's X kph fast" or "he's faster than so-and-so". The point is, they can't know, even if they have faced them both.
Michael Atherton said throughout the WI series of 2000 that but for the speedster he'd undoubtedly have thought Ambrose and Walsh were bowling much quicker than Rose and King, but they weren't.
And this is by no means the only example. He said the same about Pollock and Ntini\Kallis\Klusener in 1998 (in the days when both were bowing 90 mph; Pollock never was).

Mingster

State Regular
Richard said:
Nope, but he did say he's faster than Butler and:
1, the correspondants (Dougie and your mate) have presumably never faced Butler - if they have that wasn't mentioned.
2, I didn't say X kph faster than Y, I said people often say "he's X kph fast" or "he's faster than so-and-so". The point is, they can't know, even if they have faced them both.
Michael Atherton said throughout the WI series of 2000 that but for the speedster he'd undoubtedly have thought Ambrose and Walsh were bowling much quicker than Rose and King, but they weren't.
And this is by no means the only example. He said the same about Pollock and Ntini\Kallis\Klusener in 1998 (in the days when both were bowing 90 mph; Pollock never was).
Actually my mate has faced Butler and Sherlock at the Academy down at Lincloin.

And Richard, have you ever thought that maybe one Pom in Mike Atherton was just plain wrong eh? I mean, no need to discriminate against other people if one 'pom' did the wrong thing...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Like I mentioned, the Atherton example was just one - Brian Lara said exactly the same thing about his own bowlers.
It's not just Atherton. No batsman is good at judging which bowler is faster than which other one. I'm afraid that's just plain fact, we've seen it very clearly since proper speedsters have been created (1998 onwards).