• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are One-day games getting too boring and repetitive ????

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
There have been some suggestions around over the past year or so I've heard about changes to the one-day game to make it more interesting. Some I've heard have been:

- making boundaries worth 5 from overs 25-40
- having another 5 over period after 15 overs (choosing where to start it (between overs 15 and 45) is the fielding teams' choice) where only two men are allowed outside the circle.
- when a bowler bowls a maiden, he is allowed another over as a result (hence, if Glenn McGrath bowls two maidens in his first spell, he can have a total of 12 overs). This creates more pressure for the batsman to score if he gets five dot balls.

What do you guys think and do you have any more suggestions????

Kimbo

International Debutant
Personally I like the one day game as it is. I think these chnages would completely change the game of cricket. There should still be the format there is now- but if people want to invent a new game they can go ahead- like cricket max.
but is just not cricket.
anyway- who said cricket was suppose to be exciting.

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think cricket is supposed to be exciting!! - especially the one day game.

While I wouldn't support any changes to Test cricket - as there is over 100 years of tradition and "if it's not broke, don't fix it"- I think maybe some changes to the one-day arena are necessary. Perhaps as a way of increasing world-wide popularity for the cricket, maybe the one day game should become more exciting throughout the 100 overs... not just in the first 10 and last 10 overs of each innings.

I don't think these changes would "completely change the game of cricket" - as everyone knows that Test cricket is the "real stuff" anyway... and I don't think it will ever change

... at least not for the sake of excitement.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Leave 50-over-a-side games as they are, but maybe also a 20-over-a-side "evening matches" could create a) exciting games and b) new audiences. We're trying that in England next year, replacing the B&H..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Even though most of the players are against the idea, and it will lead to a further deterioration in proper cricket skills.

anthonysw

U19 Cricketer
I believe that 1-day cricket should be left how it is. Most of the semi-cricket fans I know find 1-day games exciting how they are. Many of those would not go to a test match because they find them to slow. Hence the full Australian 1 day games and the lackluster testmatch turnouts (even on the weekends)

I know the game reasonably well so I appreciate and enjoy a test-match much more than a 1-day game. It is weird but I sit there more riveted to a test match more than a 1-day match :P

Test matches are for the true cricket fans.
There is no way you can compact many of the thngs I love about test matches into a 1-day game :-)

And if they could.... God help test matches.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I believe that 1-day cricket should be left how it is. Most of the semi-cricket fans I know find 1-day games exciting how they are. Many of those would not go to a test match because they find them to slow. Hence the full Australian 1 day games and the lackluster testmatch turnouts (even on the weekends)

I know the game reasonably well so I appreciate and enjoy a test-match much more than a 1-day game. It is weird but I sit there more riveted to a test match more than a 1-day match :P

Test matches are for the true cricket fans.
There is no way you can compact many of the thngs I love about test matches into a 1-day game :-)

And if they could.... God help test matches.
Too right..

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah - I agree with Anthonysw... that test matches are definately better for the true cricket enthusiast.

But I suppose it comes down to whether 'tradition' can be compromised for 'keeping up with the times'. I'm certain that if cricket continues to grow into a global game - and the Americans put down their baseball bats for a minute and get a hold of the sport - then they'll be wanting things quicker, faster and more excitement for their $....

Maybe then we'll see the deterioration of "proper" cricket skills (whatever they are...) and the reverse-sweep for six will become a standard shot!!!

Kimbo

International Debutant
The last thing cricket needs is the Yanks changing it. You should hear their football commentary- "a nice turn around move there... thats the fifth shut out by the goalie this season..."
They have to change everything they didn't invent.
Keep cricket a slow moving highly intellectual game, the Yanks won't get involved that way.

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
The one day game is good in my opinion. It provides a good alternatie to the Tests. You can go to a one-day match and see batsmen showing off their shots nearly every ball of the match.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I suppose changes to the one-day game are inevitable especially since it's the game we'd be looking to market to a world-wide audience and personally it's a good thing. If we are to market the game to other audiences and changes are needed to make it more palatible, then tinker with the one-day game as much as you like because the tradition argument doesn't work at all for it, as it does for the Test game. The one-day game has always been the bastard son of the Test game and if some rule changes will make it more palatable, fine. The way to do it I think would be to consider the matches to be a different form of the one-day game.

Most of those proposed changes look okay to me, as long as we never see them in Tests. :D That's the REAL game.

Kimbo

International Debutant
I disagree, if people don't like the game as it is then they dont have to get involved.
The one day game is fine, and cricket shouldn't need to change so it can be marketed, its just a game, lets not let capitalism destroy it. If we want more people to watch it then we just need to spread the game more to other parts of the world... but I maintain, don't let the Yanks get near it!!! They will destroy the game! :(!

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
The only change that I would make would be to adopt the ING Cup field restrictions where only 3 fielders are outside the circle from overs 16-30. It makes for a livelier game. Other than that keep it as it is.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
nah i think the one day game is great as it is only thing maybe i like it being 60 over the old way :p then i get more cricket ?:D

Kimbo

International Debutant
Yea 60 overs would be better... haha, we have people here wanting to speed up the game, and people wanting to slow it down...

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Just something else I thought I should add...

I suppose something for the traditionalists out there who don't encourage any changes to the game... what would have happened if one Kerry Packer chose not to proceed with his new concept 30 years ago because so many people decided that his world-series "wasn't cricket"?? One day cricket as we know it might never have resulted.... no World Cup, no World-series, no Sharjah....

All I'm saying is that changes to the game of cricket have happened and will always continue to happen as the game evolves (yes, both one-day and test matches) and while some of these changes may in fact spoil the game, others may prove brilliant revolutions that contribute to cricket worldwide.

Some of these ideas put forward (in my opinion) sound pretty reasonable and should be seriously considered... not immediately thrown out just because they seem "untraditional".

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hear, hear, Anthony! Well said!

How can you guys realistically talk about tradition in the one-day game when by definition it is the non-traditional form of the game? It's a contradiction in terms! :D

In all seriousness (yes it's been known to occur.........), if there is to be buggerising around with an aspect of the game, then I'd prefer to see it done to one-day games than the Test game. If anything, changing the one-day game more will make it a more distinct game from the Tests and make each Test that much more 'special'. So many people complain that one-day cricket-style techniques have resulted in a deterioration of proper Test batting techniques and to a certain extent they're right. Well, if you make the one-day game so far removed from the Test game as to be unrecognisable, maybe that problem would rectify itself a little.

Either way, the one-day game is SUPPOSED to be the bastardised version to show off only the flashy side of cricket. Any improvements in that cannot be anything but a good thing.

As for Americans taking the game over, well they never showed much interest in it before so why would they now? An American Bart King was considered a bowler of at least Test class and Canada competed in the first world cup and has something like 30 000 cricketers so nother America sees their fair share of cricket. The Berkelee CC in California is pretty popular too.

As long as no-one messes with the Test game too much, I'll be happy.

Kimbo

International Debutant
All I am saying is that the one day games are already exciting, I don't understand why changes need to be made. Its things like making boundaries 5 runs between certain overs that seem crazy. Anyway, the oneday game is alreadly very different than the test game so I dont know what you are on about.