• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are One-day games getting too boring and repetitive ????

anthonysw

U19 Cricketer
I agree that the 1-day game does give you a chance to see some great batting shots.
Personally that is the only thing that I enjoy about it.

I am still waiting for the 24hour cricket match :O. C'mon international cricket board pull ya socks up ;)

Now that would separate the men from the boys….. :)

[Edited on 6/11/02 by anthonysw]

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
See, I don't find one-day cricket to be that exciting. The first couple of overs can be okay if someone is bowling well and the final few overs but one-day cricket's biggest Achille's Heel is from overs 16-40. Unless a team is batting particularly well, those overs just get used for consolidation. The ING Cup's rule of two fielder's out of the circle in the first 15 and then only letting one more out for the next 15 was a move in the right direction in my opinion.

Still, there's little appealing at the one-day game to me. Test cricket is where it's at, baybee yeah!

Imagine Test cricket as Dom Perignon and one-day cricket as the cheap Sherry. :D

Sorry, Sunil I just reckon that one-day cricket could be improved quite substantially.

Top_Cat

Funny you should mention that, Anthony.

I'm good mates with a guy who participated in what is still the world record for the longest time playing indoor cricket on record. They played for something like 70-odd hours and apparently they started hallucinating after a while!

Now THAT would make the game..............really boring. :D

Kimbo

International Debutant
See, I don't find one-day cricket to be that exciting. The first couple of overs can be okay if someone is bowling well and the final few overs but one-day cricket's biggest Achille's Heel is from overs 16-40.
I don't see why cricket has to be completely action packed- what about the mind games etc. I think that its exciting whether the batsman is hammering the ball, or the bowler is bowling maidens. What about tension created, thats exciting.
If all you are interested in is slogfests then watch cricket max, or have it introduced in your part of the world.

anthonysw

U19 Cricketer
Rofl Top_Cat that is one of the funniest things I have ever heard!!!

I am not sure if you should give that guy a medal or straight jacket for that effort :-)
Nah tell him that he his a true Aussie legend! He truly deserves the order of Australia for that.

Top_Cat

I don't see why cricket has to be completely action packed- what about the mind games etc. I think that its exciting whether the batsman is hammering the ball, or the bowler is bowling maidens. What about tension created, thats exciting.
If all you are interested in is slogfests then watch cricket max, or have it introduced in your part of the world.
Nah, you missed my point. The 16-40 over stretch isn't boring because of lack of shots by batsmen or anything. It's boring because the field goes out and the batsmen concentrate on (given) high percentage, low-risk play mainly taking singles and twos by just bunting the ball to the sweepers at mid-wicket on either side of the wicket and the bowlers mainly aim for a just-short-of-a-length off-stump (i.e. negative) line. Once again, it's high percentage play but predictable.

What I'd like to see are bowlers trying to actually get the batsman out or different bowling or fielding or captaincy to prevent the batsmen from just finding that chip-and-nudge groove until the 40th over. Conversely, a little riskier play by the batsmen to throw the bowlers off their negative line and length couldn't go astray either. It's tactics like that where the batsmen and bowlers are actually trying to dominate their opposition rather than just hitting a low-risk groove which makes for interesting cricket, rarely seen in anywhere but Test cricket.

To me there's actually very little tension in those middle overs because of these tactics which are bland and predictable. Usually when a batsman gets comfortable, captains will try something different to get them out, not just minimise the runs scored by bowling that negative line. I see so much of this in one-day cricket today and it's boring. As I said, the first 15 and the last 10 are about the only overs I find in any way interesting.

Okay I'll concede that most of those ideas are a little crazy in serious one-dayers but the 2 men out from 0-15 and three out from 16-30 idea is one which worked in our interstate cricket and I reckon anything which can make those middle overs interesting has got to be a good thing.