• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Cricket Heroes

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
You just run out of things to say, I guess.... But we could and should have a little thread where only posters who joined before 2005 have a discussion. I would like to read that. I ma guessing it will be much nicer and more nuanced and less heated than the ones we end up with usually :)
Not sure what that has anything to do with what I said about my pathetic lack of activity, but ok.

Anyhoo, I'm a bit of a Wasim Akram and Bart King 'stan'.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmm, both mentioned are probably more ironic than anything, though I have become happy when they're doing well. I'm a genuine fan of Jos, Broad and Sanga.

Growing up my idols from books I read and County performance were probably all Middx men, I think because my dad was a fan. Patsy Hendren (his cricinfo pic still looks the most like a Victorian serial-killer, which I obviously approve of), Compton and the current and Fat Gatt.From Somerset Bill Alley, IVA Richards and Garner too and perhaps embarrassingly now, Peter Roebuck.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For me, nobody else comes close in terms of being a cricketing hero than one M D Crowe was when I saw him as a kid dominating the worlds best Windies attack (featuring Marshall, Holding, Garner & co) in 1988. From memory he scored hundreds in the first 2 tests and 80 odd in the 3rd (after the Windies had been dismissed for just 100 on a spicy deck). It was Crowe at the absolute peak of his powers. Even more so than his 299 against SL or his '92 WC form.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
For me, nobody else comes close in terms of being a cricketing hero than one M D Crowe was when I saw him as a kid dominating the worlds best Windies attack (featuring Marshall, Holding, Garner & co) in 1988. From memory he scored hundreds in the first 2 tests and 80 odd in the 3rd (after the Windies had been dismissed for just 100 on a spicy deck). It was Crowe at the absolute peak of his powers. Even more so than his 299 against SL or his '92 WC form.
Being a bit pedantic here but hadn't Garner and Holding retired by 1988?

smash84

The Tiger King
Being a bit pedantic here but hadn't Garner and Holding retired by 1988?

smash84

The Tiger King
How distant of a relative is he? Was his great ancestor your great ancestor's cousin 40 generations back?