• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Great Captains

FRAZ

International Captain
Why Steve Waugh , In my opinion If Mark Taylor would have been playing this long , He would have been there at the place where steve is right now. In my opinion , technically , Ganguly is the best Captain . On batting a captain does nt have any control. He is just doing his job in the feild basically . Ganguly hasnt got the fire power in his bowling line up , but he uses his limited resources excellently. Chracter wise , I will recon Streak . In the recent era I guess Pollock,Jayasuriya and Waqar have been very emotional captains. Moin Khan and Waugh are very intelligent but not as much as Ganguly is .Ganguly does a 100 % job in the feild . If he gets Pakistani bowlers then I guess he can make an impossibe to beat side in the world like the Aussies of Steve Waugh times. In ediot category I will put Inzimam , Gosh this guy is still dumb after all this international cricket experience. I wont mention any other captain who was before the late 80's era , I havent seen them . But Imran is my all time favourie . He was just remarkable . He won the world cup for Pakistan , Won Against India , Won against Windies and England. HE was a true leader and a great dictator . He knew cricket from A to Z . I think Wasim had all the qualities to be called as a great leader but he was a money seeking cricketer , He loved money and thats it . Hansie was one of the great captains of 90's and in my view after Australia there is one spot that is no.2 . and almost all other countries are basically fighting for no.2 spot . And Hansie was the only captain who was eyeing at no.1. But alas.

Sudeep

International Captain
Yes, Mark Taylor was good. And if he would have played more, he would have been very near to Steve Waugh's place. but not exactly there. I agree Waugh got the best of the players in their peak. But it still takes a lot to be consistent as he was.

The similar is the case with Ganguly I guess. Ganguly has got the best of the players, which his predeccesors didn't have. But he has managed to control and guide them properly. I am just amazed at how Ganguly's own personal performances have fallen, but he is giving that much extra to the team in other aspects.

Performance wise, Heath STreak stands tall. He's stuck with a very very mediocre team. But he's not losing heart, and performing to the best of his abilities.

From previous captains, I would rate Imran high yes. Wasim's could have been ditto. I don't believe he was after money. But I think there were some inside team troubles... or that's what I heard. But still he had the potential.

Obviously, Clive Lloyd was great. His leadership brought West Indies one of the greatest successful eras of all of cricket history.

For the future, I think Ponting will surely turn out to be an awesome Test captain. He's already doing well in ODIs, and I believe the same fate awaits him in Tests. Greame Smith is another one who is for the future. Sure we were surprised when he replaced Shaun Pollock. But he has tried the best to bring back pride to SA, after they went through what I believe a lean patch for a while.

Just one more honorable mention. Despite what Hansie Cronje did which got him into trouble, I think he was one of the greatest captains ever. He had the spirit. Just somehow lost it. Still I was always hoping for him to play again, after somehow miraculously his ban would have been lifted.... I was seriously hoping for that. No matter what people say, I still think he was a great cricketer, and one bad act can't spoil it. But alas... that won't happen. RIP Hansie.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Hansie Cronje has clearly been the best captain I have seen. Steve Waugh was not good at all as captain and I wouldnt rate him highly in that aspect.

Among current captains, Fleming has been good. Lara is turning out good. Ganguly has been very good in showing some mettle and building his team but he hasnt been tactically as sound as he should to be rated among great captains.

Hussain was helping rebuild England but sadly he had to retire from captaincy 2 years far too early. I wouldnt say Streak is a great captain as he hasnt shown any great tactics. Agreed, he has a weak team but he doesnt show innovation which he can.

I have read a lot obout Frank Worrell and reckon he is the greatest captain for uniting the Windies. Imran united the Pakistani team for just a few years and they ended up winning the World Cup. However players didnt exactly have gr8 regard for him which puts him down in my great captains list. Ranatunga and now Ganguly ahave helped unite their respective teams a lot which is praiseworthy.

I believe Brearley was great but if you have an average record, you should not even be playing in the XI. I liked the agressive captaincy of Akram but he didnt have support of all sections of players. This is where Azhar was not at his best. He was tactically very good but didnt always have the support of all his players (like Sidhu) for various reasons.

When I look at captains, I look at stretegy, team building for the future and respect of players. Thats why Worrell is far above the rest.

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
Yes Sandeep , you are right about Ganguly. He is the only captain of today who always backs his players. and just cuz of so much of media pressure and also some other factors his own performance has been down .I miss a great player Hansie, cuz he was truly a great batsman in the middle order.. I already discussed about Hansie in a thread " Worst higher level cricket relating decisions" . He didnt deserve to be kicked like that. I guess Salim Malik and Wasim were also doing fixing and not only them but also some Australians but wont name them cuz they are gonna fill up the thread with bulls. Wasims brother knew that Pakistan is gonna be beaten by Bangladesh . Actually Hansie did nothing very very wrong , he didnt know how to handle that particular situation.

Sudeep

International Captain
Frankly I wouldn't call Fleming and Hussain great captains. They are for me just GOOD captains, because they have tried and to some extent succeeded in resurrecting their teams. But they haven't done anything extraordinary.

Even Ranatunga falls in my category of GOOD captains.

The only reason I mentioned Streak originally is because he has done pretty much everything he can do... And I'm not rating him as a GREAT captain who has changed the status of his team. But as an individual he has tried the best. So he is a GREAT performer while being captain... but only a GOOD captain. It will take a lot out of him to be among the greats.

Sudeep

International Captain
FRAZ said:
Yes Sandeep , you are right about Ganguly. He is the only captain of today who always backs his players. and just cuz of so much of media pressure and also some other factors his own performance has been down .I miss a great player Hansie, cuz he was truly a great batsman in the middle order.. I already discussed about Hansie in a thread " Worst higher level cricket relating decisions" . He didnt deserve to be kicked like that. I guess Salim Malik and Wasim were also doing fixing and not only them but also some Australians but wont name them cuz they are gonna fill up the thread with bulls. Wasims brother knew that Pakistan is gonna be beaten by Bangladesh . Actually Hansie did nothing very very wrong , he didnt know how to handle that particular situation.
Yes, its very sad that SA doesn't have Hansie right now. Because with the forms some the players are in (Gibbs, Smith, Pollock's consistency, Ntini) Hansie would definitely have brought the Proteas very very very close to the Aussies.

And yeah, by the way it's Sudeep. Don't worry though, most people make that mistake.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
The best international captain at the moment is Stephen Fleming IMO. Fleming is tactically sound and seems to be able to get more out of his team than can be expected. Ganguly is a great leader, but from what I have seen he is tactically inept with field placings and bowling changes. I have been a great fan of Waugh for his entire career, but I felt his captaincy in his last series lacked thought at times, but he is another with a great record of backing his players.

Of the retired leaders I have seen, Arjuna Ranatunga, Clive Lloyd and Allan Border stand out for different reasons. Ranatunga was able to win a world cup through innovation, a real feat. Clive Lloyd was an awesome captain of an awesome side, and Allan Border led Australia through bleak time always leading from the front (in a similar fashion to Streak at the moment, but Aussie cricket wasn't quite as bad in the early eighties as Zimbabwe).

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Ganguley has certainly inspired his team to better performances but on the field his field placements at times leave something to be desired.

I rate Steve Waugh very highly because he has took also ran players such as Hayden, Langer and Martyn and turned them into world beaters. He has instilled a ruthless streak and a will to win, even if it means a loss. The style of cricket his team has played during his captaincy has changed the face of cricket and other teams are trying to copy them. Yes, he took a good team from Taylor but he made them even better.

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
Didn't rate Cronje as a captain at all. Didn't make things happen when it was going against his side and left things drift. Also missed opportunities to turn the screw against England in 2 successive series...one he won and one he lost.
I think he was just lucky to have so many good players and, because of the number of all rounders (Pollock, McMillen, Kallis, Kluesner and even himself to a lesser extent), a very long batting line up.
Not in the same strasosphere as Brearly captaincy wise. Dermot Reeve was also very good IMO. Both of these 2 were skippers who would do something totally unexpected to influenece the game. I thought Cronje's captaincy was very staid and predictable.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought in India, Fleming as captain slipped a little..but in the ODI's against Pakistan I thought he was back to his best after the Queenstown match.

After 1 ball that Azhar Mahmood faced yesterday he moved a player out to deep square leg & cut off and 3 balls later Mahmood was bowled because his cash-cow option was shut down.
In ODI cricket you can't sit around and hope things work after 2 overs, you've got to use your hunch straight away & I think Fleming is very good at doing that.

i was describing the difference between the two great captains which were just mentioned, why does brearley have to be mentioned on every post?

FRAZ

International Captain
Sudeep Popat said:
Yes, its very sad that SA doesn't have Hansie right now. Because with the forms some the players are in (Gibbs, Smith, Pollock's consistency, Ntini) Hansie would definitely have brought the Proteas very very very close to the Aussies.

And yeah, by the way it's Sudeep. Don't worry though, most people make that mistake.
Sorry Sundeep . Didnt see U . Any ways an out of the cricket Q. How is Indian media right now. Taking the things lightly about Pakistan series and over all indopak current things. thanx anyways

FRAZ

International Captain
raju said:
Didn't rate Cronje as a captain at all. Didn't make things happen when it was going against his side and left things drift. Also missed opportunities to turn the screw against England in 2 successive series...one he won and one he lost.
I think he was just lucky to have so many good players and, because of the number of all rounders (Pollock, McMillen, Kallis, Kluesner and even himself to a lesser extent), a very long batting line up.
Not in the same strasosphere as Brearly captaincy wise. Dermot Reeve was also very good IMO. Both of these 2 were skippers who would do something totally unexpected to influenece the game. I thought Cronje's captaincy was very staid and predictable.
You what ? you wanna say that there wasnt any significant change before and after Cronje.

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
FRAZ said:
You what ? you wanna say that there wasnt any significant change before and after Cronje.
I dont think there was. Get beat by the aussies. Bottle it against England over here. Bottle it when it matters. Things are pretty much the same. The only difference is they don't throw games for money anymore.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Shane Warne said:
i was describing the difference between the two great captains which were just mentioned, why does brearley have to be mentioned on every post?
Brearley took a team which was nowhere near the best around to heights far above where their talents suggested they should be (a similar job is being done by Fleming for NZ, who is IMO the best captain around in International Cricket)

Taylor and Waugh had very good records, but such is the gap between their Australian sides and the rest of the World that I maintain a blind one armed man (or for someone with less value to the team, Brett Lee) would have a similar record as captain.