Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great Captains

Banned
    i was describing the difference between the two great captains which were just mentioned, why does brearley have to be mentioned on every post?

International Captain
    Originally posted by Sudeep Popat
    Yes, its very sad that SA doesn't have Hansie right now. Because with the forms some the players are in (Gibbs, Smith, Pollock's consistency, Ntini) Hansie would definitely have brought the Proteas very very very close to the Aussies.

And yeah, by the way it's Sudeep. Don't worry though, most people make that mistake.
    Sorry Sundeep . Didnt see U . Any ways an out of the cricket Q. How is Indian media right now. Taking the things lightly about Pakistan series and over all indopak current things. thanx anyways
    Proud member of Twenty20-Is-Boring Society.
    T2IBS Media relations officer
    T2IBS official face
    R.I..P ........ Fardin Qayuumi
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good luck at the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fraz is always the best option IMO
    frazbest@hotmail.com

International Captain
    Originally posted by raju
    Didn't rate Cronje as a captain at all. Didn't make things happen when it was going against his side and left things drift. Also missed opportunities to turn the screw against England in 2 successive series...one he won and one he lost.
    I think he was just lucky to have so many good players and, because of the number of all rounders (Pollock, McMillen, Kallis, Kluesner and even himself to a lesser extent), a very long batting line up.
    Not in the same strasosphere as Brearly captaincy wise. Dermot Reeve was also very good IMO. Both of these 2 were skippers who would do something totally unexpected to influenece the game. I thought Cronje's captaincy was very staid and predictable.
    You what ? you wanna say that there wasnt any significant change before and after Cronje.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Originally posted by FRAZ
    You what ? you wanna say that there wasnt any significant change before and after Cronje.
    I dont think there was. Get beat by the aussies. Bottle it against England over here. Bottle it when it matters. Things are pretty much the same. The only difference is they don't throw games for money anymore.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Originally posted by Shane Warne
    i was describing the difference between the two great captains which were just mentioned, why does brearley have to be mentioned on every post?
    Brearley took a team which was nowhere near the best around to heights far above where their talents suggested they should be (a similar job is being done by Fleming for NZ, who is IMO the best captain around in International Cricket)

Taylor and Waugh had very good records, but such is the gap between their Australian sides and the rest of the World that I maintain a blind one armed man (or for someone with less value to the team, Brett Lee) would have a similar record as captain.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

I think anybody in charge of the WI would have to be so tough as you have the various islands and any claims of inslurarity etc.

Frank Worrell was a brilliant captain and knew how to get the best out his players. His message was simple, treat them like adults, and they behave like them and you get the best out of them and they respect, treat them like kids and they behave like kids.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information