• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whatever happened to Ashton Agar?

Langeveldt

Soutie
After watching a young barely 20 something Agar slap nearly 100 coming in at number 11 for Australia last year, I was thinking I might see more of him in the future. I heard he wasn't up to scratch with the ball, but has ever such an incredible performance led to such a narrow career? Or am I completely wrong and is he again knocking on the door? What happened to him?

adub

International Captain
Reality happened to him.

Don't get me wrong, he can play, but he was never anywhere near good enough to play tests at the time he was picked. It was a disgraceful decision to pick him. He was always a handy bat, but you don't pick front line spinners for that reason (unless you're Australia), He had a bog ordinary second Shield season and now is much more reasonably seen as a young guy with talent who will need a few years to develop. I hope he can make it, but he'll need to be getting his poles at a lot less than the 56.6 he was going for last summer, or turn himself into a top order bat who bowls a bit to do so.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
He's still around, plenty of time to develop and his batting may even lead him to becoming a genuine/batting all-rounder, he'll be back one day I suspect

Riggins

International Captain
Reality happened to him.

Don't get me wrong, he can play, but he was never anywhere near good enough to play tests at the time he was picked. It was a disgraceful decision to pick him. He was always a handy bat, but you don't pick front line spinners for that reason (unless you're Australia), He had a bog ordinary second Shield season and now is much more reasonably seen as a young guy with talent who will need a few years to develop. I hope he can make it, but he'll need to be getting his poles at a lot less than the 56.6 he was going for last summer, or turn himself into a top order bat who bowls a bit to do so.
adub always delivers the goods.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The transformation of an ampicillin-resistance-conferring plasmid was successful, and he grew colonies.