• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mankading - Why is it not within the "Spirit of the Game"?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
There is nothing wrong with mankading. Particularly in indoor cricket. Top Cat to confirm.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I note that the previous time such an incident happened in international cricket, the fielding captain withdrew his appeal against the dismissal on advise from his senior batsman.
Yes, Sachin told Sehwag to withdraw the appeal because it was "against the spirit of the game". But why is it? I don't see a good reason except that it's been considered so historically.
That's because Sachin is a *****.

Can't wait til Kohli does it.

viriya

International Captain
That's because Sachin is a *****.

Can't wait til Kohli does it.
Sehwag said afterwards that he didn't go through with it cos he wasn't prepared to handle the criticism. So basically he pussied out.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I love the mankad rule. Its been a batsmans game for far too long. I think anyone attempting a senanayakeing (I think the 'e' was possibly a bit too much) but failing could potentially be called for a no-ball so we don't get multiple attempts in the game.

91Jmay

International Coach
If Mankading isn't against the spirit of the game why is the England crowd booing Mathews/Satchi apparently not on (many in the thread and on twitter said so)? Surely its logical for the England crowd to boo the opposition doing well? Spirit of cricket the only reason that stuff happens. In football United fans don't applaud if Liverpool score do they?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You gonna teach Burgehino to mankad?
He was nearly Mankadded last season actually. Took off way too early in backing up.

I'd be reluctant to teach him to do it without giving a warning. It's not so much that you aren't entitled to, it's the angst and aggro it invariably leads to which is the problem.

As I said earlier, it's the sort of thing one expects from these lesser cricketing nations who have a chip on their shoulder through lack of success. They play all doe eyed and innocent, but they're just conniving little ****ers who want to take every advantage they can.

gvenkat

State Captain
Perfectly within the laws of the game. Spirit of Cricket is the most over-rated cliche of all time. The sport is professional and not a pass time anymore. Butler was warned. He still did not listen, So serves him well.

This is called picking up in baseball, The runner tries to steal a base by getting a few yards ahead and he could be "Picked up".. Same situation. All the rest is just BS. You don't want to be mankaded, Stay the **** in your crease till the ball is bowled.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Mankadding for all and if the bowler is being a prat trying to bait it out then the umpire can call a dead ball and tell him to get stuffed.

Problem solved.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
"Spirit of the game" would be to graciously accept it when you are Mankaded, and get on with the game.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Which Cricketer do we wish invented Mankading? Oh, and who are we glad didn't?

It doesn't work well with anyone who's name ends with an ing already such as Pontinging or Gattinging. I quite like (Geoffrey) Boycotting and (Peter) Sleeping as the non-striker could be seen to be sleeping, obvs.

Last edited: