• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Help Please - American with junior set needs rules for backyard cricket.

UncleBuck

Cricket Spectator
Hello All,

I am an American and I live in Ohio. I bought a junior cricket set in England years ago and now I would like to play a backyard game with my kids. All the information I have found online assumes that one already knows how to play cricket but unfortunately I have only played the game once and I don't remember many of the rules.

So, assume that I have a few kids ready to play.

My set contains one bale set (?), a bat, a ball, and another stick which I assume goes opposite the bale set at the other end.

I know that the batter has to hit the ball where-ever and the pitcher is trying to knock the pegs off the sticks behind the batter.
I know that the batter is out if the ball is caught on the fly or sometimes one bounce.
I know that the fielders can throw the ball at the sticks to knock down the pegs while the batter/runner is not behind the line to get them out.
I know that the batter scores points by hitting the ball and running to the other end and touching the ground near the stick behind the line.
I figured out that backyard rules don't use that LBW rule which seems fine to me since I don't know that rule anyway.

I'm not clear what happens if the batter does not make it back to the batting position.
How many outs?
When does another batter from the same team get to bat?
When do the sides change? (like after 3 outs in Baseball)

So in my scenario I expect to round up a pack of kids, split them into two teams, one team is up to bat while the other team fields. The batters bat, run, score points until so many outs and then the teams trade places. Just like in baseball. Isn't this pretty close?

Thank you for any help!!!

brockley

International Captain
Over 6 and out.(over the fence)
2 teams,all players bat.
LBW when hits legs in front of wicket is out.
Bowling is over the shoulder.
When someone out new batsmen goes in,when all out other side bats.
Team with highest score wins.
If batsmen bits ball to fence its 4.
If bowler hits wkt while bowling it out.
Thats all i can think except run out happens when out of ground and ball hits the stumps.
:).

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Prince EWS can help you here with any queries you have regarding rules for Backyard Cricket. Especially the intricacies of when objects should be thrown or not. Do you know anyone called Sanka who could join your games?

adub

International Captain
Hey Uncle Buck hopefully we can help.

The great thing about backyard or street cricket is of course that you can make up your own rules.

The basis of any game is simply the batter versus the bowler. So you can indeed play for hours on end with just two players.

Batting:
You seem to have the basics sorted, but just to clarify...
The batsman takes 'guard' or 'strike' (stands holding the bat ready) at the 'crease' in front of the 'wicket' (the three long sticks 'stumps' with the 'bails' (probably the single shorter stick you were talking about - in proper games it would be split in two, but in backyard sets often comes as a single piece). In your backyard game you can substitute a bin or a box or draw some stumps on a wall with chalk - anything that is about the right size will do. At it's most basic the wicket is the bowlers target (think strike zone) and the batsman is looking to 'defend his wicket' by stopping the ball hitting them. So first thing set up a 'wicket' and mark a 'crease' about 2 feet or so in front of the wicket. Easiest way to measure a crease is the length of the bat plus the length of the bat handle again. Just scratch a mark in the ground or draw a chalk line or place two rocks off to either side. This gives the batsman a good location to stand when batting so they don't hit their own wicket and is used for 'runs outs' (more on that later).

The batsman's stance is similar to baseball in they stand generally side on to the bowler (pitcher) and perhaps crouch a little, but the bat is usually tapped lightly near the feet or held slightly in the air away from the bowler but rarely higher than waist height. This is because as you noted their is no 'foul zone' and fair hits can go anywhere and because the bowlers generally bounce the ball in front of the batsman so it is usually in the batsmans favour to play a 'straight' (vertical) bat shot. Only when the ball bounces over waist height do the 'cross-bat' (horizontal) shots like a baseball swing come into play.

You score a 'run' by hitting the ball and running to the opposite crease (where the bowler bowls from). You can run back and forth as many times as you can before the fielders throw the ball back and hit the wicket. If you don't have your bat or foot placed behind the crease when that happens you are out (Run Out). The other outs are Bowled (the bowler hits the wicket with the ball), and Caught (a fielder catches a hit on the full). There are other outs like LBW but some people who've played the game all their life can't properly explain all the ins and outs of that - most people ignore in backyard games. A 'boundary' is when a hit reaches the outside edge (the boundary) of the field. If it does it on the full that is worth six runs (a Six) and if it has bounced four runs (a Four).

Still with me?

Bowling:
22 yards away from the batsmans wicket is another wicket with a crease in front of it. The strip between them is called the pitch. For backyard games you often shorten the pitch to some length that fits, but still leaves enough distance between batter and bowler to give the batsman time to see the ball. Also you can simply use one stump, a box, or just mark a crease for the bowler. So long as you have a crease the bowler as somewhere to stay behind when bowling and the batsman has somewhere to run to to score a run. You're now good to go. The bowler differs from a baseball pitcher in several important respects. Firstly in bowling the ball the bowler is meant to maintain a straight elbow. This is really hard for people who aren't familiar with the concept, best to check out cricket videos on youtube. Also the bowler doesn't start from a standing position, but can run or jog up to the crease (run up) which is pretty much required in order to bowl with a straight arm. Lastly because the wicket is lower than a baseball strike zone and you can get some advantages from the pitch the bowler is generally aiming to bounce the ball in front of the batsman. 'Full pitched' bowling bounces closer to the batsman and is aiming to hitting the wickets, 'Short pitched' bowling further away so that it bounce over the wickets but could be aiming to get the batsman out caught. A bowler will bowl an 'over' of 6 deliveries in cricket before another bowler will bowl from the other end, but in backyard games you can swap bowlers after any number you like, or simply when you think it's time for someone else to have a go. For your situation I'd suggest the option of bowling under arm (think softball). That is usually much easier for novices than bowling. It's pretty much how most people learn the game. Also Pitching the ball is fine if you want to allow it.

Fielders:
Where you have enough numbers a 'Wicket Keeper' (think catcher) is often good idea to take throws ('Returns') from the outfielders and effect a Run Out of the batsman, but plenty of backyard games do with out. In cricket a Wicket Keeper wears special padded gloves, you can go without them, or subtitute a mitt if you like. The other fielders can pretty much scatter in a backyard game, they don't wear gloves. The fine points of setting your 'Third Man' or why it can make sense to leave 'Mid Wicket' vacant don't apply. The fielder's job is simply to try and take a catch to get the batsman out, or to field the ball and return it to the Wicket Keeper. Think baseball outfielders and you'll be fine.

So that's the basics of the game. The batsman is looking to hit the ball and score runs and the bowler and fielders are looking to get them out by hitting the wicket, catching them out or running them out.

Backyard Rules:
Because a backyard game can be played by as little as two there are plenty of conventions that most backyard players will recognise. You can use any of these you like or devise your own variations to make the game fun.

Every man for himself:
Normally cricket is played by two teams of 11. Two batsmen bat at the same time and swap ends when they take a run with a new batsman coming in to bat when one gets Out. In backyard games you can simply have a single batsman who gets a free walk back to the batting end if they take a single run. You can also play with two batsmen and no teams where every batsman is playing for himself (trying to score the most runs).

Last man standing:
Similar idea, but for when you do have teams. Normally the teams innings is over when 10 wickets fall (only one not out batsman left - so if you team is 7 then after 6 wickets), in order to give everyone a fair go when you are playing in teams you would have two batsmen batting together until there is only the one batsman left. The last man standing then continue batting alone until they get out. The team is then All Out.

Hit and run:
Unlike baseball you are not forced to run just because you've hit the ball. But in order to move the game along and bring Run Outs more into play lots of backyard players play 'hit and run' ('tip and run'). That should be simple enough to understand. Anytime the batsman hits the ball with the bat they have to run and can be Run Out if the fielders can hit the Wickets with the ball before they make it safe to the other crease.

Automatic Wicky:
As you are often playing with a smaller number of players or a confined space backyard games can often feature Automatic Wicky (Wicket Keeper). Simply set up the wicket in front of a wall or fence and designate an area of that fence/wall as Automatic Wicket Keeper. Then any hits by the batsman (edges or snicks) that hit that part of the fence/wall are considered to be Caught and Out.

Six and out:
Because backyard cricket is strangely enough often played in backyards the 'boundary' is usually the fence. In order to discourage hitting the ball into neighbouring yards it is often deemed that a such a hit earns the 6 runs for the boundary, but is also Out. Can also be used for hits that go onto the house roof, hit a window, or any other place you want to discourage the ball going.

Wicket taker bats:
If you aren't paying in teams a way of choosing the next batsman is wicket taker bats. Whoever gets the batsman out gets to take his place. So if the batsmen is out bowled the bowler goes in to bat, if out caught or run out the fielder who made the catch or hit the wickets goes in. This can be varied for fairness by getting the wicket taker to choose the next batsman if they have already had a turn.

One hand one bounce:
Can be used when there aren't many fielders, so a batsman is Out caught if a fielder can catch a ball on the full (one or two handed), or on the first bounce if they catch it one handed. Can also be varied so that one hand one bounce rules applies to hits that bounce off objects in the backyard but not the ground. For example a hit that bounces off a car or the house can be caught Out but only if it is caught one handed.

No Goldens:
In cricket to be Out without scoring is called a 'Duck'. To be Out first ball without scoring is a 'Golden Duck'. It is common to allow players a life in backyard games if they are out first ball (or before they've scored) so 'No Goldens' or 'No Ducks'.

Hope the essay hasn't been too confusing. The thing is there is no right or wrong way to play backyard cricket. Just get a group together and have a hit. Fielding with a can of beer in your hand is perfectly legitimate at barbecues, letting the dog catch you out first bounce is a good rule, and making the batsmen field any balls that go under the house or over the fence is really just good backyard sense. Hope you have heaps of fun and one day we can coach you in the finer points of taping up a tennis ball.

Riggins

International Captain
Instigating body-line in backyard cricket really makes you see why people all got mad. No surer way to get brothers throwing punches at each other.

UncleBuck

Cricket Spectator
adub, what can I say...this is OUTSTANDING information! Thank You!

Brockly, thank you too. Between these responses and my research on the various forms and ideas of cricket games with kids (from Kwik Cricket) and another terrific dumbed-down explanation of the game from another blogger I think that I've pretty much got the idea.

I really like the idea of "Pairs" with the scorecard that I found somewhere. I'll probably have between 5 and 10 kids at any given time but I should be able to put enough pairs together at the low end with the help of an adult or two.

So this pairs game basically gives each pair of batters (all pairs rotate in eventually so that everyone bats) a set number of pitches (8 or 12 depending on how long the game should be I suppose). Each pair starts off with so many points, 20 I think, and each out subtracts points. So after 12 pitches a pair may or may not have any outs but their turn is over. After every pair hits the game is over and the scores are totaled.

I understand everything above except I'm not clear on one thing: when a pair is batting do they both take a position at either end of the pitch -- one batting and the other by the pitcher? Or does one bat and the other sit on the bench waiting their turn? I expect the latter but I guess it could be played either way with the former having the consequence that one person may get to actually bat more times than the other depending on how the runs end up (only batting from one end).

But now that I think about it, the Every Man for Himself or Last Man Standing games might even work better. I'm not quite clear on the part of Every Man for Himself where you say, "You can also play with two batsmen and no teams where every batsman is playing for himself (trying to score the most runs)." Wouldn't those competing batsmen have a conflict of interest when running? One could decide to not give up the batting position for instance so that they could bat next.

And one last thing, I assume that anyone can throw the ball at the stumps from anywhere on the field in order to try to hit them. I can see why this wouldn't always be good if there weren't someone there to catch the ball if it misses the stumps though but it would sure make for some dramatic "throw outs" wouldn't it?

Again, thanks for this great information. I didn't realize how much I take for granted when playing stickball or wiffle ball or two person backyard wiffle ball with "Ghostmen", etc. until I started trying to figure out how to play this game.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I understand everything above except I'm not clear on one thing: when a pair is batting do they both take a position at either end of the pitch -- one batting and the other by the pitcher?
Yeah - this is how things happen in 'proper' outdoor games. The batsman scores a single run by getting to the other end and having his partner take his place. If both batsmen run twice the length of the pitch and get back where they started, the batsman who hit the shot scores a two. Either batsman can be run out if he doesn't get to his end quick enough.

When two players bat together like this for a while it's called a 'partnership'. You're right about them often being dominated by one player but that isn't really a bad thing. The weaker partner can make it his responsibility just to get singles and try to get the other player facing the bowler as much as possible (this is called giving him more of 'the strike', because the batsman who is facing the next delivery is said to be 'on strike'.) So even if one partner is doing most of the scoring, both players are contributing valuable work towards the partnership.

If you prefer, you can change the rules to let one batsman play at a time and allow him to walk back to the wicketkeeper's end if he gets a single. But this never happens in professional or league matches. The reason why the bowling side aims to get 10 batsmen out to dismiss the team is that the 11th man can't bat by himself.

(oh and by 'pitcher' you mean 'bowler')

Last edited:

adub

International Captain
adub, what can I say...this is OUTSTANDING information! Thank You!
no problems.

I really like the idea of "Pairs" with the scorecard that I found somewhere. I'll probably have between 5 and 10 kids at any given time but I should be able to put enough pairs together at the low end with the help of an adult or two.

So this pairs game basically gives each pair of batters (all pairs rotate in eventually so that everyone bats) a set number of pitches (8 or 12 depending on how long the game should be I suppose). Each pair starts off with so many points, 20 I think, and each out subtracts points. So after 12 pitches a pair may or may not have any outs but their turn is over. After every pair hits the game is over and the scores are totaled.

I understand everything above except I'm not clear on one thing: when a pair is batting do they both take a position at either end of the pitch -- one batting and the other by the pitcher? Or does one bat and the other sit on the bench waiting their turn? I expect the latter but I guess it could be played either way with the former having the consequence that one person may get to actually bat more times than the other depending on how the runs end up (only batting from one end).
What you have there are indoor cricket rules. Indoor cricket is a variation of the game played by teams of 8 where instead of replacing a batsman who gets out each pair of batsmen bat for a limited number of overs (4 overs, 24 balls) and each time one gets out they lose runs (which means they can end up with a negative score). You can do this in a backyard game either with pairs or just a single bat as a variation. Say each pair gets 24 balls, and you lose 3 runs for each out.

But now that I think about it, the Every Man for Himself or Last Man Standing games might even work better. I'm not quite clear on the part of Every Man for Himself where you say, "You can also play with two batsmen and no teams where every batsman is playing for himself (trying to score the most runs)." Wouldn't those competing batsmen have a conflict of interest when running? One could decide to not give up the batting position for instance so that they could bat next.
Every man is easiest for beginners and small numbers. It's for fun not sheep stations so scoring is really not that important. If you do play with a pair of batsmen it can be that one batsman can forget it's about having fun. Best solution is to play 'hit and run' and then you're pretty much forced to try and play run scoring shots.
And one last thing, I assume that anyone can throw the ball at the stumps from anywhere on the field in order to try to hit them. I can see why this wouldn't always be good if there weren't someone there to catch the ball if it misses the stumps though but it would sure make for some dramatic "throw outs" wouldn't it?
That's right.
Again, thanks for this great information. I didn't realize how much I take for granted when playing stickball or wiffle ball or two person backyard wiffle ball with "Ghostmen", etc. until I started trying to figure out how to play this game.
yeah it's a completely different culture around the game with it's own language. Hope you have lots of fun learning it. Check out some T-20 videos on youtube, especially for the recently completed IPL. That will show you the game at it's most fast scoring and a good intro.